No announcement yet.

Mario Bava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The review of BLACK SABBATH at Dvd Beaver shows Kino really fucked that one up! What are they doing over there?? Damn, I feel bad for US Bava fans that aren't region free.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ck_sabbath.htm

Comment

Yip. For all the problems ARROW have occasionally with their transfers, they struck gold again with Black Sabbath. I'm very wary of KINO.

Comment

There's a portion of this interview with restoration expert James White (the reason Arrow's transfers are so good now) that sheds some light on the possible reasons why Kino's Black Sabbath transfer is so fucked up.

Apparently the HD master was derived from a seriously flawed photochemical restoration done in Italy that left the film with plenty of printed-in damage, stability issues, and a milky colour scheme. I can only surmise that Kino did their colour correction without the proper research, aiming for something that looked correct without accounting for the frequently wild colour schemes that Bava often employed.

Of course it's possible that both companies were working from totally different HD masters but it seems unlikely.

Comment

"All I've made are big bullshits. No doubt about that."

Mario Bava.

Fulci had said something similar.

"All my life critics have called my art shit. Now they're calling my shit art."

Funny that two of masters regard the horror films as being below what they're capable of making. I wonder if Argento has a similar attitude.
          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius View Post
            There's a portion of this interview with restoration expert James White (the reason Arrow's transfers are so good now) that sheds some light on the possible reasons why Kino's Black Sabbath transfer is so fucked up.

Apparently the HD master was derived from a seriously flawed photochemical restoration done in Italy that left the film with plenty of printed-in damage, stability issues, and a milky colour scheme. I can only surmise that Kino did their colour correction without the proper research, aiming for something that looked correct without accounting for the frequently wild colour schemes that Bava often employed.

Of course it's possible that both companies were working from totally different HD masters but it seems unlikely.

Thanks for tjhe link, Ignatius.

I'm thrilled Arrow is trying to get more Bava like WHIP & B&BL and would love a better NOTLD.

Comment

Also from The Digital Bits...

"Meanwhile, here's a look at official cover artwork for Kino's Bay of Blood and Five Dolls for an August Moon on BD (both 9/3)…"

Click image for larger version

Name:	5dollsforandaugustmoonbrd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	343575

Click image for larger version

Name:	bayofbloodbrd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	343576

I really like those covers.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

to this day, I can not hear the title Bay of Blood without thinking of Michael Elliott.

Comment

Tempting, but given Kino's lackadaisical treatment of the Bavas and Arrow's enthusiastic proper treatment, I think I'll hold off. Of course, BAY OF BLOOD is a real possibility if Kino gets the colors right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                    to this day, I can not hear the title Bay of Blood without thinking of Michael Elliott.
                    How so?

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                      Tempting, but given Kino's lackadaisical treatment of the Bavas and Arrow's enthusiastic proper treatment, I think I'll hold off. Of course, BAY OF BLOOD is a real possibility if Kino gets the colors right.

Absolutely.

If this one is better than the Arrow I'll buy.

Love the cover!

Comment

Redemption said this morning that The Whip And The Body is coming to Blu-ray in 2014.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A quick comparison between the Arrow Blu-ray (up top) and the new Kino disc (bottom). Click to make'em big if that's your thing.

And yeah, I know these aren't the exact same frames but they're from the same scene and give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Mondo Digital favors the Kino:

http://mondo-digital.com/bayblood.html
                            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Judging by the caps above the Kino does look better.
                              The Arrow looks kinda dark and hazy.

I'll have to see more comparisons before I buy.

Comment

This review has some additional comparisons:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/61565/bay-of-blood-a/

Comment

Working...
                                X