No announcement yet.

Mario Bava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that I'd read Redemption (or rather Kino, perhaps?) now has WHIP & THE BODY. I think VCI did say their rites lapsed.

Comment

I've always loved this cover painting by William Teason for the original paperback edition of We Have Always Lived In the Castle (published 1963) by the author of The Lottery and The Haunting of Hill House:

Click image for larger version

Name:	JacksonCover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	342664

It's been recycled several times, most recently by Blue Underground for Mario Bava's haunted house film:

Name:	JacksonBava.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	342641

SHOCK is not adapted from Jackson's novel. The art doesn't suit the film the way it does the story in novel. Teason actually read the books he designed covers for, and he always came up with something exactly right. I love genre novels from the 1960s and 1970s with creepy covers like this.
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      Last edited by Ian Jane; 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM. Reason: Because Richard asked nicely.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

stutter
        Richard--W
        a straight arrow
        Last edited by Richard--W; 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I watched SHOCK again for the first time in years.

It's okay. Routine but okay.
          I always enjoy spending 90 minutes with Daria Nicolodi, and John Steiner is good as always.

I wish that Bava had made this film between 1960 and 1963. It would be different and have more.

Comment

Amazon now has listings up for Rabid Dogs and Black Sabbath, both coming to Blu-ray from Kino on 7/16/13.

Black Sabbath is noted as a 'movie only' edition... I wonder if there's going to be an alternate version with extras? No other details seem to have surfaced yet...
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I don't know what "movie only" edition means. Could it mean no supplements? By the time Kino releases their "movie only" edition most of us will have the Arrow edition (May 13) from region B with both versions of the film. I'll double dip if Kino offers something more or different in the way of supplements. I'm really looking forward to the Arrow release with both versions as Black Sabbath is one of my favorite Gothics and I think one of the best horror films ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                Black Sabbath is noted as a 'movie only' edition... I wonder if there's going to be an alternate version with extras? No other details seem to have surfaced yet...
                That seems to have been a mistake of some kind -- the Amazon page now says "standard edition" (which still suggests there might be multiple editions forthcoming)

Comment

The plot thickens. And Richard, you do raise a good point. Kino have to have known about the competing import. Maybe they're doing an extras laden edition?

There's nothing listed on their site as of yet. This is all speculation on my part.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	black-sabbath-kino-br.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	343019
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wonder what it will contain?

Just pre-ordered the Arrow release. Beaver's shots from the European cut look promising. Gonna get me a great parcel from Amazon UK mid-May with Arrow's Black Sabath and Baron Blood, Hammer's The Reptile and Plague of the Zombies and Jonathan Rigby's book Studies in Terror.

Comment

No idea what's on it. Here's the art for Kidnapped.

Name:	kidnapped-kino-br.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	343020
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I hope that contains Rabid as well. Not a big fan of the Leone cut.

Comment

I wonder if someone will eventually get around to releasing the US version of GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH...

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                              I wonder if someone will eventually get around to releasing the US version of GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH...
                              I hope Arrow will do (like they did with BLACK SUNDAY, BLACK SABBATH and BARON BLOOD).

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X