Mario Bava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kino says:

"Due to unforeseen contractual issues, we are no longer able to sell our Blu-ray of BLACK SABBATH/BLACK SUNDAY (U.S. Release Versions). We apologize for this inconvenience and hope to have one or both of these titles back in release in the future."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• from arrows facbook page today:

We finally signed off RABID DOGS today (woohoo!) but we can't confirm a release date til the BBFC confirm the rating. But in the meantime here are the final specs, don't under estimate the booklet, at 8,000 words it's a real corker and contains a nice surprise!
      SPECIAL 3-DISC EDITION CONTENTS:
      - High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of 'Rabid Dogs' - Bava's original version posthumously completed from his notes & 'Kidnapped' - the re-edited, re-dubbed and re-scored version, supervised by Bava's son and assistant Lamberto Bava and producer Alfredo Leone
      - Original Italian mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
      - Newly translated English subtitles
      - Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
      - End of the Road: The Making of Rabid Dogs - A documentary featurette including interviews with Lamberto Bava, Alfredo Leone and star Lea Lander
      - Bava and Eurocrime - An interview with Umberto Lenzi
      - Alternate Semaforo Rosso version opening title sequence
      - Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, Peter Blumenstock on the history of the film's first distribution and more!

Comment

• we can't confirm a release date til the BBFC confirm the rating.
        They passed it uncut with an 18 rating.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Kino now says ( on FB ) BLACK SUNDAY will come out solo in early 2015 along with a double bill of EVIL EYE / GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.
          https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

• From Arrow's FB page:

***Rabid Dogs release date update***
            It has been a long road but the end is now very much in sight. With the BBFC cert in (the film will be uncut!) we have finally been able to set the final release date for this title which will be October 27th.
            A huge thanks goes out to all of you that have stuck with us during our search for materials and we are very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the final package.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Reversible cover art!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BzRkQNxIUAESkMg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	347070
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I will be picking this release up without a shadow of a doubt. I love the reversible artwork too, I think I prefer it to the artwork that has been commissioned, and that was good.

Comment

• Recently I re-watched Bay of Blood and the cinematography was absolutely fantastic and as were the kills. But I couldn't help but feel distanced from the film in between the killings. It has a really interesting idea in that all of the characters kill each other off (for a total of 13 kills) but very few of the characters are around for very long, we never really get to know them, the German teenagers are obviously a precursor to the late 70s/early 80's slashers and are disposed of as quickly as they arrived. And overall almost every character is there to deliver some exposition and then die.

I still think it's a good film and an important one for especially the slasher genre. But it's definitely flawed. I can't help but feel that this is ripe for a remake to better orchestrate the idea of every character killing off the next.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Watched Arrow's Rabid Dogs Blu-ray tonight. Firstly I have never seen this, not even the Kidnapped cut and I have to say, what a great film!! Secondly, considering Arrow have had to work from varying sources on the Rabid Dogs cut they have achieved something truly remarkable. Well worth the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                      Watched Arrow's Rabid Dogs Blu-ray tonight. Firstly I have never seen this, not even the Kidnapped cut and I have to say, what a great film!! Secondly, considering Arrow have had to work from varying sources on the Rabid Dogs cut they have achieved something truly remarkable. Well worth the money.
                      Yes, I just got a (review) copy today, and it's a great set. It's long been one of my favourite Bava films, ever since I first saw it via the Lucertola DVD back in 1998/1999; I'm really pleased with Arrow's set.
                      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• I've reviewed Arrow's RABID DOGS and included some large screengrabs and some comparisons of the HD footage with the SD inserts, which may be of interest to some: http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3441

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• Great review! Thanks for providing the comparison caps, so glad Arrow put in the effort to create a composite. Does the final shot of the RABID DOGS cut look as dire as it does on the Anchor Bay release? It looks closer to VHS quality there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius View Post
                            Great review! Thanks for providing the comparison caps, so glad Arrow put in the effort to create a composite. Does the final shot of the RABID DOGS cut look as dire as it does on the Anchor Bay release? It looks closer to VHS quality there.
                            Thanks for the nice comments :) Yep, that's how the final shot appears here too, sadly.

Comment

• Your reviews are absurdly in-depth, planning to re-read the Borowczyk ones once I've finally finished devouring the boxset. Pity about that shot but if it's all that exists...

Comment

• The UK Odeon blu ray release of 'The Whip and the Body' came out on Monday, does anyone have it, and how does it look in comparison with the Kino release, can't find any reviews online which is odd!

Comment

Working...
                                X