No announcement yet.

Jess Franco Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming from Mondo Macabro. Available for pre-order/sale in either March or the 2nd batch of 2022 titles.

Comment

• It must be a year or two since I saw a Jess Franco movie- which is nuts! I used to watch one every week. The girlfriend's away for a week though so I can put on a movie that I don't have justify as being objectively good. So tonight I put on Night Has A Thousand Desires which I had yet to see.

I've got a bit of a theory about sports. I figure the main reason guys love to watch sports is it's brain off time. I can put on a 76ers game and not think about anything for a while. There is nothing required from me at all. Apart from the result I know exactly what's going to happen. Only the details differ from one game of basketball to another. I think Franco movies are kind of the same thing. It's a meditative thing. Turn the brain off, sink in and rejoin the world 90 minutes later. They are slow to the point of inducing somulence while also being strangely hypnotic. In fact hypnotic may even be the right term.

I didn't dig this one that much. It's kind of plotless, no ones particularly attractive, the settings not that exotic. Franco at this period is too explicit without being hardcore. Something like Eugnie passes almost as innocent but you can't make that call here. At some point you have to say that if you're being that raw you may as well as have your actors actually fucking. Otherwise it just looks wierd. It's the details that get me though. If you're having a hallucinatory scene that's all dream like and trippy don't zoom in on the Levis logo on the guys jeans. Breaks the spell.

For a time though I did enjoy being back in Franco's world. Wish it was possible these days for the low budget filmmaker to shoot with the zoom lens the way he does. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Saves on cuts and thus camera angles too. One day maybe...
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        It must be a year or two since I saw a Jess Franco movie- which is nuts! I used to watch one every week. The girlfriend's away for a week though so I can put on a movie that I don't have justify as being objectively good.
        I've also been experiencing this issue since the pandemic hit. As a result, I've managed to ringfence Thursday nights as a time for me to sit in the dark on my own and watch something cheap and sleazy, just to keep my hand in (so to speak). As a result, I've been gradually catching up on my Franco backlog.

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        I didn't dig this one that much. It's kind of plotless, no ones particularly attractive, the settings not that exotic. Franco at this period is too explicit without being hardcore. Something like Eugnie passes almost as innocent but you can't make that call here. At some point you have to say that if you're being that raw you may as well as have your actors actually fucking. Otherwise it just looks wierd.
        Opinions may vary, but I think one of the best ways to understand why Franco rarely went hardcore is to try to watch some of the films where he did. It ain't pretty.

I liked Stephen Thrower's take on this (in the extras for one of the Severin releases, I think?), where he links Franco's dislike of shooting hardcore to his lack of patience for using special effects in his horrors/thrillers. Just as the murder scenes in his films tend to operate on an almost symbolic level because he didn't want to waste time coming up with anything realistic, Thrower's suggestion is that the functioning of human genitalia was another 'special effect' that he just couldn't be bothered with!
        https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
        http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
          Coming from Mondo Macabro. Available for pre-order/sale in either March or the 2nd batch of 2022 titles.

Finally, been waiting for a R1 release forever. Excited as all hell now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post

Finally, been waiting for a R1 release forever. Excited as all hell now.
            There are 5 versions of this film butthe upcoming Mondo Macabro release will ONLY contain the first one (ie Spanish):

1) the original Spanish version (~100 minutes);
            2) the shorter Spanish video release (~83 minutes at 24fps)
            3) the French softcore version with added scenes featuring Lina Romay as the protagonist's sister, sex scenes, and changes in the plot in regard to that relationship (~91 minutes)
            4) the French hardcore version with added sex scenes (~79 minutes)
            5) the Italian hardcore version with different hardcore inserts from the French (~86 minutes)

Comment

• So I assume from the length that the Spanish cut has longer musical sequences? That is a selling point for me if so although I'd like to see all the cuts eventually.

Comment

• The fucking dickbag who owns the rights needs to be punched in the balls repeatedly for being a twat about any releases being put out. This should have the same cuts as the Artus dvd release had. Which makes me wonder how they could afford putting both cuts out? Maybe they got off cheaper for not making it english friendly? I don't know. It's a tragedy anyhow.
                https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                  The limited edition should come packaged with a free banana... or not.
                  A banana and a Brillo pad!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                    The fucking dickbag who owns the rights needs to be punched in the balls repeatedly for being a twat about any releases being put out. This should have the same cuts as the Artus dvd release had. Which makes me wonder how they could afford putting both cuts out? Maybe they got off cheaper for not making it english friendly? I don't know. It's a tragedy anyhow.
                    I suspect there will be an English friendly BD-R of the French softcore version eventually.

Also the Spanish version (Al otro lado del espejo) on the Artus DVD is NOT the original Spanish edit as it includes a nude scene of Emma Cohen shot for the French version before the French co-producers mandated a recut (95:25 PAL).

Basically the ultimate release of this film would include the 5 versions I mentioned several posts above as well as the alternate Spanish version that is on the Artus DVD as detailed in the scentence above along with extras. Would probably be a 3 disc set with 2 versions per disc.

Comment

• The good thing about already owning the Artus dvd is of course now the French version. After all it's more Lina. Ultimately it's the Spanish version that raises the bar and that's why I'm please that MM managed to get this version for blu-ray. It's pretty much all I need.

Comment

• So, from a post on Blu-ray.com, it looks like this was on the back of a Severin 2022 catalogue that was available at a con this past weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	276294195-1640263842983495-7007250919413844158-n.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	390181
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Severin is screening Faceless at TX Frightmare Weekend from a new 4k remaster.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Le Chat Qui Fume announced Faceless for Blu-ray and UHD release. No other details other than that it is coming 'soon.'
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• told ya.

Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                              ... BUT camera obscura revealed that le chat qui fume is working on a new 4k transfer with a lot of extras (release soon)!
                              so camera obscura was right after all.

Comment

• It's great that people still talk about these films.
                                Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Working...
                                X