Jess Franco Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
    I guess that a 2nd volume of Daniel J White musuic will be included in one of these upcoming Franco titles?
    Not sure but they did mention that they would each have an installment of Thrower's 'In The Land Of Franco' documentaries.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• "Coming to Blu-ray 8/10 from Full Moon Features.

Jess Franco/Andrea Bianchi's “Angel of Death” AKA “Commando Mengele” (1987)

Uncut master culled from the original 35mm camera negative.

From the fevered mind of the notorious Jess Franco (BARBED WIRE DOLLS) comes 1987's ANGEL OF DEATH (aka COMMANDO MENGELE), a deranged free-fall into "Nazisploitaion" that takes its cues from the blockbuster 1978 shocker THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL and delivers the sort of delirium that fans of French genre film studio Eurocine hunger for! When an attractive pair of young Nazi hunters exploring Uruguay accidentally stumble upon the lair of the maniacal war criminal Dr. Josef Mengele, they immediately live to regret it. There, deep in the sweltering jungles, Mengele has continued his hideous human experiments, torturing, murdering and mutilating nubile virgins in the name of creating some sort of master race. Soon, mercenaries, monstrosities, femme fatales and vengeful concentration camp survivors face off, with bullets and bodies flying everywhere and Mengele holding cretinous court. Written by (under the name D. Khunn) and co-directed by Franco and completed by Italian trash movie maverick Andrea Bianchi (BURIAL GROUND: NIGHTS OF TERROR), the pair signed off on the film as "Frank Drew White", apparently too nervous to take credit for making this truly daft piece of unsavory exploitation. ANGEL OF DEATH is a fast-paced slice of vintage Eurocine mayhem, with an international cast that includes Franco regulars Jack Taylor, Antonio Mayans and Howard Vernon (as Mengele) along with Robert Mitchum's son Christopher and Shirley Knight from Franco's equally insane WHITE CANNIBAL QUEEN. Jump into the jungle with Jess and get ready for some prime cinematic insanity! Get ready for ANGEL OF DEATH, presented here in a beautiful, uncut master culled from the original 35mm camera negative."

https://mvdb2b.com/s/JessFrancosAngelOfDeath/WE03478

Click image for larger version

Name:	171802163_1400541093622439_5594717097739322738_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	359725
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        "Coming to Blu-ray 8/10 from Full Moon Features.

Jess Franco/Andrea Bianchi's “Angel of Death” AKA “Commando Mengele” (1987)

Uncut master culled from the original 35mm camera negative.

From the fevered mind of the notorious Jess Franco (BARBED WIRE DOLLS) comes 1987's ANGEL OF DEATH (aka COMMANDO MENGELE), a deranged free-fall into "Nazisploitaion" that takes its cues from the blockbuster 1978 shocker THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL and delivers the sort of delirium that fans of French genre film studio Eurocine hunger for! When an attractive pair of young Nazi hunters exploring Uruguay accidentally stumble upon the lair of the maniacal war criminal Dr. Josef Mengele, they immediately live to regret it. There, deep in the sweltering jungles, Mengele has continued his hideous human experiments, torturing, murdering and mutilating nubile virgins in the name of creating some sort of master race. Soon, mercenaries, monstrosities, femme fatales and vengeful concentration camp survivors face off, with bullets and bodies flying everywhere and Mengele holding cretinous court. Written by (under the name D. Khunn) and co-directed by Franco and completed by Italian trash movie maverick Andrea Bianchi (BURIAL GROUND: NIGHTS OF TERROR), the pair signed off on the film as "Frank Drew White", apparently too nervous to take credit for making this truly daft piece of unsavory exploitation. ANGEL OF DEATH is a fast-paced slice of vintage Eurocine mayhem, with an international cast that includes Franco regulars Jack Taylor, Antonio Mayans and Howard Vernon (as Mengele) along with Robert Mitchum's son Christopher and Shirley Knight from Franco's equally insane WHITE CANNIBAL QUEEN. Jump into the jungle with Jess and get ready for some prime cinematic insanity! Get ready for ANGEL OF DEATH, presented here in a beautiful, uncut master culled from the original 35mm camera negative."

https://mvdb2b.com/s/JessFrancosAngelOfDeath/WE03478

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26756[/ATTACH]
        Stephen Thrower says this is:

Not a Franco film.

Comment

• It's also pretty dull.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• I just watched this a few weeks ago and it has some scattered pleasures (c'mon, Howard Vernon playing Josef Mengele!) but you need to be in a very forgiving mood. Happy to just let some anaemic slow-paced trash wash over you. Very little of the insanity you'd expect from a director like Andrea Bianchi.

Comment

• According to Christophe Bier, Franco began his own Mengele film, but had a falling out with "Lesoeur" (whether the father or the son is unclear) and it was never finished. Bier does claim that Franco had a hand in the script of this one, as indicated by the D. Khunne credit.

Comment

• Stephen Thrower's Flowers of Perversion echoes the credit for Franco as a co-writer for the film, but I'd have a hard time believing he directed any of it.

Comment

• Ignatius: "I'd have a hard time believing he directed any of it."

I fully agree. Franco left an unmistakable mark on all of his films. It's not present in this film, although the film has its own merits (as you point out).

Comment

• Faceless is being released in Germany in May.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Helmut-Berger/dp/B091WJ9TFF/

Comment

• Since Full Moon is releasing some late 80s Franco I'd like to see them put out Dark Mission. Sure, it's not anywhere close to top Jess, but an official R1 release would be nice. Fall of the Eagles was no better than I remember it from years ago but still happy to add to the collection.
                      "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
                      -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
                      -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

• Originally posted by Raf A. View Post
                        Faceless is being released in Germany in May.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Helmut-Berger/dp/B091WJ9TFF/
                        Oooh, I'll have some of that. Always had a soft spot for that picture. Ta for the heads-up!
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Severin just made an announcement...

"We're thrilled to announce our first two Mid-Year Sale titles! Jess Franco's THE HOUSE OF LOST WOMEN and BLACK BOOTS, LEATHER WHIP will ooze sleaze out of your player. Full specs & details will be shared later. Keep checking our pages for more announcements in the coming weeks."

Name:	E2LCuyLWEAQO3T3.jpg
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	359951

Name:	E2LCuyLXIAQW-IP.jpg
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	359952
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• David Gregory interview covering some Severin releases.

https://www.musiquemachine.com/artic...ate.php?id=517
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                              Oooh, I'll have some of that. Always had a soft spot for that picture. Ta for the heads-up!
                              Me too. The only release of this I've seen though was the original US DVD from, who was it... Media Blasters? I don't recall. I do remember it was entirely sans nudity though which seems curious for a Franco movie and not in keeping with the tone of the rest of the film. Was that release a clothed version and there's others about or is Faceless just an anomaly in the Franco filmography?
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                                Me too. The only release of this I've seen though was the original US DVD from, who was it... Media Blasters? I don't recall. I do remember it was entirely sans nudity though which seems curious for a Franco movie and not in keeping with the tone of the rest of the film. Was that release a clothed version and there's others about or is Faceless just an anomaly in the Franco filmography?
                                I'm not sure about FACELESS but his DRACULA is also sans nudity per the wishes of producer Harry Towers. I miss it in DRACULA. For some reason the lack of nudity in FACELESS never stood out to me.
                                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Working...
                                X