No announcement yet.

Jess Franco Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No softcore version of the film either...most disappointing. No English subs would be a solid deal breaker.
    https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
      Ok I'm concerned about this, so have emailed Marzio to comfirm the language options on Doriana. If this bd doesn't have at least one English option (dub or subs) I'm concerned now for the other releases.
      Marzios response

They both feature English tracks, don't worry.

Best,
      Marzio

May have to accept though that we are not gonna get subs. Still doesn't deter me!

Comment

Are the foreign language tracks on Ascot's DVD's new dubs or are they the original language tracks? In other words are the Spanish language tracks on DORIANA GREY and JACK THE RIPPER recorded in 1975 or in 2007? Are the French language tracks on WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 and BARBED WIRE DOLLS from 1977 or from 2007? If Ascot dispensed with the original soundtracks and re-recorded all the voices the question about including subtitles may not make much sense to Marzio.

Personally I don't want to hear another Franco film in English if I can watch it in the native language with English subs.
        "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
        - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

All the VIP dvds had newly recorded dubs and no original lang option with subs, that's why everyone got peeved.

Unfortunately regarding the BDs I think its going to be a mystery until they are released. However, I think its safe to presume the worst. After all these releases are technically geared towards the European market with the English market being an afterthought. I personally would rather have them uncut, as the previous versions that were released in the uk by Anchorbay became problematic, even though they had subs and the same transfers, some were cut ,others were not and the information wasn't readily available to check at first.

These new blu's are all uncut. The bottom line for me, is that there is no sign at all that these will appear anywhere else in the near future. Even companies like Redemption and Severin have promised more franco titles, but not one of these has indicated that they will be any of the Dietrich titles. Apparently too expensive. So if you want any of these forthcoming Dietrich titles on BD in Hd then Im afraid this is the only way to go. I personally don't want to wait in case (the previous editions on dvd like Doriana sell for ridiculous prices on Amazon and ebay now). Even if another company does release these with subs, then there is still the option to sell them on, like I have done before.

I also get frustrated that titles are being released with no English option at all, like Celestine by tonfilm. Ive been waiting a year or so for this to appear in English by Anyone, but alas its just French or german.
          Lalala76
          Last edited by Lalala76; 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Just to set any minds at ease as to whether Severin will be releasing any more Franco titles this year....this is their fb response

" Nothing more this year. Looking at a couple of things for next."

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              I also get frustrated that titles are being released with no English option at all, like Celestine by tonfilm. Ive been waiting a year or so for this to appear in English by Anyone, but alas its just French or german.
              It's very typical for either French or German companies to release without an option for English. They can be rather focused on their own market and their own language, especially the French. They are not used to reading subtitles, everything on French TV or in French cinemas is dubbed in French.

Comment

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
                It's very typical for either French or German companies to release without an option for English. They can be rather focused on their own market and their own language, especially the French. They are not used to reading subtitles, everything on French TV or in French cinemas is dubbed in French.
                I'm all too aware of that. The frustrating thing is that Edition tonfilm released Midnight Party also, which has an English dub. You could argue that maybe an English language track already existed. I can't believe though that there is a fully restored hd, uncut print available of Celestine and has been for a while yet NO ONE has shown any interest in releasing it for the English market. Ive still hopes yet for Redemption as one of their elusive "14", after all they have picked up les chatalouise (crazy nuns). But then again there are so many titles that I hope are in that"14" and have yet to be announced.

Do you know what? I don't know why I'm so bothered, I have a decent unofficial dvd copy anyway. I just don't like guessing. There are lots of Franco titles that I have held off buying this year because of speculation and teasers by various companies, as I don't want to buy dvds (official or bootleg) only for them to be released this year on bd and uncut. I have done too much double dipping. Why don't they just say x is out this year and heres the date. Hats of to ascot-elite for at least they have confirmed what and when. Redemption just go ooooh maybe this will be released oooh maybe not, which is good for building up anticipation, but hellish for those that are in the process of building up a collection and are waiting to find out. Grrrrr. deep breaths deep breaths!!!!
                Lalala76
                Last edited by Lalala76; 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I just wish Ascot-Elite would put the original soundtracks on the discs. I want to hear the voices for BARBED WIRE DOLLS and WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 that were recorded in 1977. The new soundtracks destroy the ambiance. Even the sound effects are newly recorded. It doesn't feel right. It doesn't sell the story the way the voices from the 1970s sold the story.

As a result I'm seriously reconsidering whether to buy the Ascot-Elite blu-rays. Maybe I should content myself with the DVD's. Instead of upgrading maybe I should only buy the blu-rays of films that haven't been released before. Not getting the original soundtracks / dubs is turning into a deal-breaker.

Comment

Yeah Richard, I completely get you. I think my point is that if nothings going to change then maybe that's the only option. I think is different for me as I live in the Uk. If these had a uk domestic release then more than likely they would be cut to shreds. So if I want them uncut I have to buy these. I cant see them getting a US or Uk release in the near future. I didn't buy the whole set of VIP dvds or anchor bay deliberately as I knew these were coming. I stopped buying them when ascot made the announcement So even though I know the films I only own about 4 Dietrich/franco titles on dvd. I just appreciate right now that someone is taking the time to release Franco titles on blu which are English friendly.

I presume you have the uk editions?
                    Lalala76
                    Last edited by Lalala76; 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I have a complete set of VIP-Ascot's Franco releases, on region 0 DVD. bought from their website and amazon.de . As you know, the transfers are excellent and uncut. But I'm disappointed in the soundtracks and the lack of subtitles.

I saw WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 (1977) for the first time in 1998 thereabouts on a VHS from Midnite Video, or was it Luminous Film & Video Wurks. It had the original soundtrack from 1977 with the original voices, the original sound effects, the original room ambiance, etc. I prefer that soundtrack to the new dubs on Ascot's DVD. The newly recorded voices are destructive. But they're being carried over to the blu-rays.

Comment

I don't know about the English dubs on the original VIP DVD (I don't have the AB UK releases) but as far as French dub goes, they are all original dubs done when the films were released back in the day. The only exception is DORIANA GRAY which is a new French dub since none existed before.

Lalala76: Thanks for asking about DORIANA GRAY. Seeing the description on Ascot's website (German audio only), I was guessing that they did a Blu-ray version of the softcore version (which doesn't exist with any dubbing, although it could be done with the new ones from the original hardcore version). Nice to hear that it has English. And hopefully is the hardcore version.

I would've loved having subtitles but right now, these are basically welcomed upgrades to the original VIP discs.

Comment

Amazon.de listings are now up for:

Jack The Ripper

Al Pereira vs. The Alligator Ladies
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I orderd Al Pereira vs. The Alligator from Amazon.es, and would recommend that version of the site, seeing it's around 14€ cheaper that way.
                            Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

I was guessing that they did a Blu-ray version of the softcore version (which doesn't exist with any dubbing, although it could be done with the new ones from the original hardcore version). Nice to hear that it has English. And hopefully is the hardcore version.
                              It was announced months ago on the official jess franco site that they would be fully uncut, and based on the ascot VIP dvds that is the case, however their only dvd release listed on ascots website apart from the forthcoming one is the softcore one. The runtime on the specifications for Doriana bd suggests that it is the h/c version too. Although I haven't actually asked about this. The weird thing is the runtime listed for the bd is longer than the uncut h/c dvd version I think. Unless its a pal/ntsc thing.
                              Lalala76
                              Last edited by Lalala76; 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                Amazon.de listings are now up for:

Jack The Ripper

Al Pereira vs. The Alligator Ladies
                                Thanks Ian for the tip off, have been checking myself but didn't see. I think I saw Al Pereira on uk amazon site too but it was like £30 or something. I'm not too sure on this one. As much as I love that crazy bloke Franco, his later films, to be blunt were pretty shit. No disrespect RIP Mr Franco.

Comment

Working...
                                X