No announcement yet.

Jess Franco Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redemption only region code when it's a stipulation of their contract.
    Let's just get high and fuck some sluts

Comment

• Les Demons is one of Franco's absolute best films. Thank god I invested in a region free blu-ray player.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Just out of interest for those who don't know, region free Blu-Ray players can be picked up quite cheaply. I got mine for 110 New Zealand dollars (about 95 US) and things like this are generally more expensive over here.

Comment

• Not the case in Sweden where I am. Had to pay out my asshole to get a "simple" chipped model. The one I really wanted was way to expensive. I hate that companies in this day and age can't come up with a more simple way instead of dicking around with region coding still. Nobody wants it except the companies (or should I say rights holders). And don't get me started on the firm ware update bullshit. It's a fucking Blu-Ray player. It's supposed to play the damn discs I put in it. There shouldn't be any updates required. Redemptions Franco, Polselli and Rollin-releases was the sole motivator for me finally taking the plunge to Blu. I don't regret it but fuck region coding up its stupid ass. Rant over.

Comment

• Oh dear. I am sad to hear that. Over here it was really expensive until about 2 years ago when super cheap brands I had never heard of (Allure and Laser are two of them, sound classy don't they) started to become available. These allowed you to access the manufacturers menus to change the region codes at will. I leave mine permanently set to A and play everything else thru my PS3. I have yet to have an issue that required a firmware upgrade and I normally avoid them. The players are cheap looking, crappy remotes, unpolished menus, but they do the job.

I hope something similar happens where you are. As for region coding, I agree. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Eventually it gets broken anyway, so what's the point.

Comment

• I hope so too. I could import but then they'll just slap an excessive toll charge on the damn thing. Either way I lose. The one I have will do for now. Discs that won't play get re-sold on E-bay and I'll settle for the dvd version instead.

On topic: These upcoming Franco's, Mondo Erotico and Schwartze something something. How involved was he in them, really? I'm a sucker for all things Kali Hansa but the Dietrich directed output I've seen have left me cold. I'll probably get them as I can most likely re-sell them if they suck but I'll hold off until I've seen some reviews/opinions on them.

Comment

• Not sure what you mean by "How involved was he in them, really?"

There never was a directorial collaboration between Franco and Dietrich - as you say: the styles were much too different. The 16 films Franco did for Dietrich he controlled from first shooting day to the final editing. Though as usual with him on some films Franco signed not with his own name: "Downtown" was credited to Wolfgang Frank, "Mí¤dchen im Nachtverkehr", "Weisse Haut auf schwarzen Schenkeln" and "In 80 Betten um die Welt" got no director credit on the prints at all (but on the posters Michael Thomas was credited). No idea why especially these four films weren't signed by his name, as I would rank them among the most personal films he did for Dietrich.

Comment

• Anyone got the Barbed Wire Dolls Blu-ray yet, how is it?

Comment

• Wasn't Gefangene Frauen credited to Michael Thomas as well? That was Dietrich directed I guess. A little confusing but as you say, Franco did use a lot of pseudonyms, so maybe they both used Michael Thomas at one point? I'll check them out either way. Got some extra cash coming in so why not.

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    Not sure what you mean by "How involved was he in them, really?"

There never was a directorial collaboration between Franco and Dietrich - as you say: the styles were much too different. The 16 films Franco did for Dietrich he controlled from first shooting day to the final editing. Though as usual with him on some films Franco signed not with his own name: "Downtown" was credited to Wolfgang Frank, "Mí¤dchen im Nachtverkehr", "Weisse Haut auf schwarzen Schenkeln" and "In 80 Betten um die Welt" got no director credit on the prints at all (but on the posters Michael Thomas was credited). No idea why especially these four films weren't signed by his name, as I would rank them among the most personal films he did for Dietrich.

Comment

• Originally posted by Recoil View Post
                      Anyone got the Barbed Wire Dolls Blu-ray yet, how is it?
                      Up to a similar standard of the other Goya releases, plus you get another Eric falk interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                        Wasn't Gefangene Frauen credited to Michael Thomas as well? That was Dietrich directed I guess. A little confusing but as you say, Franco did use a lot of pseudonyms, so maybe they both used Michael Thomas at one point?
                        Yes, both names "Wolfgang Frank" and "Michael Thomas" were used by Erwin C. Dietrich (and other people) as well, so yes that can be confusing (but I'm sure you will recognize Franco's style). Same goes for all the Eurocine names, like James Gardner, A.M. Frank, Claude Plaut etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                          Up to a similar standard of the other Goya releases, plus you get another Eric falk interview.
                          Plus English subs, which is nice!
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• So I was farting around on DTM's site earlier today. I was gonna order Mondo Erotico plus another title from their easter sale. I get to the confirmation page and realize shipping has freaking almost doubled. 15 Euro instead of 8 as it was when I ordered last time. They lost an order there. 15 Euro in shipping fees alone is buuuuulllllshiiit! :down: Not a happy camper right now. There are only 2 Franco's left I wanna get from Ascot Elite and now it seems I have to pay crazy money to get them. Granted I live in Sweden but 15 Euro seems pretty damn steep to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                              So I was farting around on DTM's site earlier today. I was gonna order Mondo Erotico plus another title from their easter sale. I get to the confirmation page and realize shipping has freaking almost doubled. 15 Euro instead of 8 as it was when I ordered last time. They lost an order there. 15 Euro in shipping fees alone is buuuuulllllshiiit! :down: Not a happy camper right now. There are only 2 Franco's left I wanna get from Ascot Elite and now it seems I have to pay crazy money to get them. Granted I live in Sweden but 15 Euro seems pretty damn steep to be honest.
                              Yeah I noticed that last order I made. I still have 2 orders outstanding too. I think it is maybe because they now use a courier or something as my last few orders only took a few days. When I first started using them my orders took up to 2 weeks.

Comment

• All my orders have been delivered to my front door by a postal worker in a big ass truck (I mean a huge lorry now). That's not really necessary. The packages have been very big, too. I appreciate careful packaging but a decently sturdy jiffybag in my mailbox ought to do it. I don't need to have it personally hand delivered by courier and have to sign for it like I've had to so far. Annoying. I guess I'll have to sell off some more dvd's to make up for the extra shipping cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X