No announcement yet.

Jess Franco Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubba hubba! One of my fave Francos :)
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• I'm desperately hoping its not region locked like Mr Wingrove was insinuating earlier in the year.

Comment

• Die Nonnen von Clichy (1972) remastered in HD from the French negative at a duration of 118 minutes (about 114 minutes NTSC), with the original front and end credits as well the original trailer, none of which have been seen before? Exciting news.

I don't care what region it's locked into, I'm really looking forward to this blu.

Perhaps they'll include one of the alternative edits as a bonus. It isn't mandatory but it would be nice.

Hope Redemption announces the release date soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Franco's Les Demons-1972.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	344701
        "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
        - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• 118 minutes (about 114 minutes NTSC)

^This doesn't make any sense, though.

Comment

• /\ I think Richard means 114 mins PAL, which was the runtime of the 'integral' version in the X-Rated DVD boxset released a few years back.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• I was paraphrasing Redemption's announcement linked by Mick Cantone in post 268. 118 minutes PAL = 114 minutes NTSC, they figured:

Having remastered in HD from the French negative, Redemption's release has
              a runtime of 118 minutes, which in NTSC makes it around 114 minutes, and
              includes the original front and end credits and the original trailer, none of which
              have been seen before.
              Richard--W
              a straight arrow
              Last edited by Richard--W; 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• They mean PAL, I'm absolutely certain of it. 114 mins is the PAL runtime of the 'integral' version.

Comment

• No worries. I'm sure your right. A hi-def transfer of the original negative is warmly and enthusiastically welcomed in either duration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    No worries. I'm sure your right. A hi-def transfer of the original negative is warmly and enthusiastically welcomed in either duration.
                    Yes, that longer version is the best (in my view); the X-Rated presentation of it was frustrating inasmuch as the longer cut wasn't presented in an English-friendly version.

I really love this film. Was going to rewatch it soon but may hold off until this Blu comes out.

Comment

• Hope Redemption announces the release date soon
                      They did months ago. It was proposed for February 2014. I updated the schedule, but since then Ive been lazy. But Erotic rights of Frankenstein and Draculas daughter will be June.
                      Lalala76
                      Last edited by Lalala76; 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• So you did. I forgot. February 2014 is soon enough.

Can't wait to see how the content of EROTIC RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN sorts out in June.

Name:	Franco's Frankenstein-1972.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	344702

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                          They mean PAL, I'm absolutely certain of it. 114 mins is the PAL runtime of the 'integral' version.
                          Actually, Paul, I re-read the announcement at the salvationfilms link and they're stating the French negative is a 118-minute film. They're not referring to the "integral" version previously released. They're referring to a longer version that has not been released before. But I wouldn't take the running time in the announcement too literally. No doubt the newly discovered end credits account for a portion of the additional running time. Let's wait and see.

I've never understood how to convert PAL running times to NTSC, but obviously they've transferred it in PAL (30 fps). With the fps adjustment to 24 fps for NTSC a 118 minute running time should come to about 114 minutes on DVD; hence the 4% speed-up that drives me nuts. There is no speed-up on blu-ray, however.

Meanwhile, another poster for your edification:

Name:	Franco's Frankenstein-1972-alternate.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	344703

Comment

• Should have Downtown and Voodoo Passion blu-rays in the next couple of days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                              Actually, Paul, I re-read the announcement at the salvationfilms link and they're stating the French negative is a 118-minute film. They're not referring to the "integral" version previously released. They're referring to a longer version that has not been released before. But I wouldn't take the running time in the announcement too literally. No doubt the newly discovered end credits account for a portion of the additional running time. Let's wait and see.
                              I'm curious to see if there's any new narrative material, but like you say, I suspect the differences here will be the addition of the closing credits.

Comment

• So, watched Downtown blu-ray tonight. Imo the Blu-ray is a worthy upgrade over the dvd (pretty much on a par with the current crop of ascot Franco blu-rays with the same positives and negatives) .For some strange reason the dvd release prior had an inferior transfer to the other dvds in the series. The Bd is also presented in 1.78.1 as opposed to 1.33.1. The german language remains the same with English subs. Extras are trailors and slideshow. Not everyones Franco of choice, but I love Downtown, and love the artwork on this one too. Overall am pretty damn happy :)

Name:	cover_dvd_1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	344725

EDIT: watched VOODOO PASSION also. Possibly the best looking of the blu-rays so far. Not one of my favourite Franco's but still an enjoyable romp, especially in HD. It joins the list of having ridiculous dubbing, like many of the ascot releases. If anything I have gripes with it seems as these are released they feature less extras with the last two featuring only trailers and slideshow.

Name:	voodoo.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	344745
                                Lalala76
                                Last edited by Lalala76; 11-22-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X