Laurent Bouhnik's Q (Desire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurent Bouhnik's Q (Desire)

Strand put this out last year, didn't pay any attention to it. Came across the trailer while goofing around on my lunch break today, and low and behold it actually looks like it might be kind of interesting - trashy, artsy, sexy, maybe kind of rad.

Has anyone seen it?

I have not seen any of Laurent Bouhnik's other movies but I know he has a bit of a reputation for fairly provocative movies and that Select Hotel is supposed to be good.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've seen this and wasn't too impressed by it, to be honest. It's shot on digital video and is quite cheap and ugly looking, despite some lovely locations. There are some interesting ideas; it borrows something from Pasolini's THEOREM in the way that the protagonist inserts herself into others' lives and changes them irrevocably. However, it's episodic - and not in a way that works. The sex scenes aim to titillate but they're much too elliptical and fragmented to achieve that aim. There's mucho nudity, but the characters are too self-pityingly whiny for any of it to be particularly engaging.

It's worth watching to make up your own mind, though. There are some interesting themes bubbling underneath the surface (as a film, it's more about frustration than desire, to be honest), but to my eyes it seemed distractingly cheap.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Thanks Paul. I'll put it on the 'see it for free when you've got nothing else to do' list. I find production values can make or break a movie like this and if it winds up feeling cheap, for my tastes that almost automatically leans towards break.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
      X