The Michael Sopkiw films!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Michael Sopkiw films!

Another great B actor, similar in some ways to David Warbeck and Bruce Campbell in that he's very likable and somehow always plays the bad ass hero. Can't really list personal favorites because he's only done 4 movies but I'll list my favorites in order:

Massacre in Dinosaur Valley: VERY fun exploitation/horror/action flick that doesn't take it self seriously, has a great sense of pacing and sense of humor, along with great gore effects and overall comic book aesthetic. Also, the only Sopkiw film where he dubs his own voice. Very underrated.

2019 After the Fall of New York: Amusing schlockfest that only the Italians can do. It does have a darker tone than the usual Post-Apoc Italo film and it's a fun film.

Blastfighter: Probably his most legit film. In that it's not very cheesy and it shows the most range for him in a role. It's in fact a very solid action flick with shades of First Blood that really picks up in the last 20 minutes. Good film. Oddly enough, it's the 2nd Sopkiw film that has George Eastman in it and it also has a ton of music that was later used in Massacre in Dinosaur Valley.

Monster Shark: In my opinion this is the worst one. Also, Lameberto Bava's worst film. Just a horribly boring, seen-it-all before Jaws ripoff that lacks any kind of style or payoff. Sopkiw was okay in it, but it's the least fun of all of his films.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

BLASTFIGHTER is awesome, major kickass movie and quite possibly my favorite Lamberto Bava film. Pretty different from the rest of Bava's work. I remember really liking MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY back when it hit dvd, I need to revisit that one soon. MONSTER SHARK is horrible. 2019 is fun, but not one of my favorites from the post-apocalyptic stuff. He seems like a very down to earth guy in interviews and the commentary he did.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I met Spokiw at a convention once. Very cool guy. We BSed about how awesome 2019 is.

Comment

2019 is pretty great. Blastfighter needs a domestic release.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          2019 is pretty great. Blastfighter needs a domestic release.
          Agreed. Been tempted to pick up the Region 2 for a while now, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            He seems like a very down to earth guy in interviews and the commentary he did.
            Definitely. I really enjoyed his interview on the Dinosaur Valley disc. He seemed like he'd had a really interesting life and had a good attitude about things.

Still need to see his other movies...

Comment

I think all the Sopkiw films are good fun, and the man himself seems very sympathetic.
              Monster Shark is the weakest of the bunch, but if you like cheap Italian rubber monster movies this one delivers. I remember that it also had some cool music in it.
              2019 After the Fall of New York is one the better post apocalypse flicks of that time.
              Massacre in Dinosaur Valley is a riot, lots of action and flesh on display. Nice to see an Italian jungle production without all the animal cruelty that they usually put in.
              I agree that Blastfighter got a more "serious" feel to it, like a real American film and not just Italians filming in America.
              This is my favourite film with Sopkiw in it, he is so cool that he even tames a baby deer in no time

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Iversen View Post
                This is my favourite film with Sopkiw in it, he is so cool that he even tames a baby deer in no time
                Welcome! And yeah, he's a gentle soul, haha. Able to woo a peaceful animal as easily a hot Italian actress. haha.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                X