Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
    I'd like to find Umberto Lenzi's L'Uomo della strada fa giustizia (Manhunt in the City, 1975) starring Henry Silva and Luciana Paluzzi.

Released on a DVD by 01 Distribution in Italy.

Anyone seen it?
    I've seen this. I like it a lot. It's not an action-packed film, unlike some of Lenzi's other poliziesco pictures; but instead it's a more thoughtful study of the politics of revenge - which isn't to say there isn't some fairly outrageous violence, but rather that the action and spectacle take a backseat. You could say that it's similar in many ways to Castellari's IL CITTADINO SI RIBELLA/STREET LAW, although here the stakes are higher. (I like STREET LAW, but I always felt Nero's character's reasons for taking up vigilantism are pretty understated and predicated wholly on money and his sense of pride - compared with this film, for example, where Silva is seeking revenge because his daughter has been killed.) Because Silva's character is so fallible in this film, it reminds me more of Brian Garfield's DEATH SENTENCE than most of the other Italian crime films of the period.
    Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze
    Last edited by Paul L; 03-13-2013, 06:11 AM.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I'd like to find Umberto Lenzi's L'Uomo della strada fa giustizia (Manhunt in the City, 1975) starring Henry Silva and Luciana Paluzzi.

Released on a DVD by 01 Distribution in Italy.

Anyone seen it?
      I guess that 01 disc is english friendly? I have a bootleg of the movie, need to pick that up if so. It's an outstanding film. Instead of glorifying, it shows the truly ugly side of vigilantism - sometimes innocent people get in the way. It's also extremely violent, and scathing in its portrait of "outraged citizens"; heck the leader of a citizen's brigade is a convicted child molester! The Bruno Nicolai score is beautiful and sad, really good stuff.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
        I guess that 01 disc is english friendly? I have a bootleg of the movie, need to pick that up if so.
        Sadly, I don't think the Italian disc is English-friendly, Andrew.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
          Sadly, I don't think the Italian disc is English-friendly, Andrew.
          Oh, drat. Thank you though, Paul! I had hoped it might be like the 01 dvds of SOLANGE and THE CURSED MEDALLION, which have english subs.

Comment

Who is Steno?
            Here is a recent entry from Matt Blake's essential blog, The Wild Eye with a Steno interview. Well worth reading although he sadly doesn't discuss FROM THE POLICE WITH THANKS aka EXECUTION SQUAD. He was still working at the time of the interview - not sure when that was.
            Andrew Monroe
            Pallid Hands
            Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Andrew. More than I needed to know, actually.

Paul's description of MANHUNT IN THE CITY makes it sound all the more interesting. I found a dealer that sells it with subs.

Has anyone seen THE DESIGNATED VICTIM with Milian? What's that like?
              "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
              - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Has anyone seen Corruzione al palazzo di giustizia (Corruption in the Halls of Justice, 1975)? With Franco Nero and Martin Balsam. Any good?

Alpha Video sells a dubbed version under the title The Smiling Maniacs.

Comment

Has anyone seen Corruzione al palazzo di giustizia (Corruption in the Halls of Justice, 1975)? With Franco Nero and Martin Balsam. Any good?

Alpha Video sells a dubbed version under the title The Smiling Maniacs.
                  Smiling Maniacs is similar to Damiani's Confessions of a Police Captain, in that in deals with internal corruption in the police force. That being said, there's even less action in this one, although Nero delivers a good performance overall, particularly during the film's climactic final act. I'd say it's worth a check cheap, but don't go in expecting any slam bang action.

Comment

Has anyone seen THE DESIGNATED VICTIM with Milian? What's that like?
                    I've got a lot of time for THE DESIGNATED VICTIM. A premise borrowed from Highsmith's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, a performance by Tomas Milian. It's a restrained thriller, tight as a coil. I'd say it's definitely worth tracking down. The UK Shameless release is the best, imo. (I used to own the German release from NEW too.)

Comment

Well, I now have a stack of unwatched poliziesco all'italiana sitting here next to my taller stack of unwatched gialli which is next to my short stack of unwatched peplum-via-Bava. Tonight, if I can stay awake: SUPER BITCH.

Comment

Super Bitch is fun. I look forward to your opinion on it. It puts entertainment value before artistic intent but that's not a bad thing.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziottes

Anyone know of a decent release of FROM CORLEONE TO BROOKLYN worldwide?

It's Merli. It's a 70's flick shot partially in NYC and Lenzi directed it. The fact that I haven't seen this is shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                            Anyone know of a decent release of FROM CORLEONE TO BROOKLYN worldwide?

It's Merli. It's a 70's flick shot partially in NYC and Lenzi directed it. The fact that I haven't seen this is shameful.
                            I don't think there is an english friendly release of this, Horace. I'd love to be wrong though! I know there's an Italian dvd but no english options. I have a pretty nice looking fandub from a widescreen tv airing (there's also a fandub using that dvd). It's another Lenzi/Merli winner, maybe not quite as good as their best work but still a kickass crime film. Merli actually plays a more fully realized character in this imo, with an estranged wife and a daughter. Good road movie with Merli transporting a witness from Italy to NY...plenty of violence and an ambiguous ending. Good soundtrack too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                              I don't think there is an english friendly release of this, Horace. I'd love to be wrong though! I know there's an Italian dvd but no english options. I have a pretty nice looking fandub from a widescreen tv airing (there's also a fandub using that dvd). It's another Lenzi/Merli winner, maybe not quite as good as their best work but still a kickass crime film. Merli actually plays a more fully realized character in this imo, with an estranged wife and a daughter. Good road movie with Merli transporting a witness from Italy to NY...plenty of violence and an ambiguous ending. Good soundtrack too.
                              I have the same fandub, and agree with Andrew on his points. Definitely recommended, though probably not essential. I think Micalizzi might have done by favorite Poliziotteschi scores.

Comment

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziottes

Originally posted by Scyther View Post
                                I have the same fandub, and agree with Andrew on his points. Definitely recommended, though probably not essential. I think Micalizzi might have done by favorite Poliziotteschi scores.
                                I located a fan dub of this just now. Can't wait!

Agreed about Micalizzi - I just bought his soundtracks to ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH, CYNIC RAT FIST and CORLEONE - mesmerizing.

The RATTT score uses the same 8 notes over and over but it's a fantastic 8 notes that hooks you like a John Carpenter Halloween number. His stuff mixes really well with Shire's PELHAM score for iPod listening on the NYC subway.

Comment

Working...
                                X