Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got halfway through Michele Placido's recent LE GUETTEUR/THE LOOKOUT today but gave up: it's a decent cat-and-mouse thriller, told in a non-linear stylee, with Daniel Auteuil's Inspector Mattei (nod to Jean-Pierre Melville there, no doubt) tracking down sniper Mathieu Kassovitz. A very good cast doesn't save the film from feeling very by-the-numbers. I was tired and rapidly losing interest, so had to break off halfway through the film.

I'll revisit it later in the week and work my way through the whole thing. Maybe when I'm feeling a little more awake, it'll sit better with me. But for now, I'll say it's something of a disappointment. I had high hopes for this one.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
      My Eurocrime collection is embarrassingly thin and needs to be fattened up.
      Richard, here's a disc that should be the cornerstone of any eurocrime collection. I highly recommend it, gripping and well acted by all, particularly Enrico Maria Salerno who brings a gravitas to his cop role you don't often see. It's a film I can revisit every year or so and it always seems fresh. The Cipriani score is top notch too. That dvd is the best one available, very nice.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Seconded - good call, Andrew. Salerno is superb in this and I can vouchsafe that this is best disc available.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Andrew and Clive. I'll fit that cornerstone into place in a day or so.
          See the influence you have on me.

Who is Steno?

Know of any other cornerstones, pile them up right here.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
            Got halfway through Michele Placido's recent LE GUETTEUR/THE LOOKOUT today but gave up: it's a decent cat-and-mouse thriller, told in a non-linear stylee, with Daniel Auteuil's Inspector Mattei (nod to Jean-Pierre Melville there, no doubt) tracking down sniper Mathieu Kassovitz. A very good cast doesn't save the film from feeling very by-the-numbers. I was tired and rapidly losing interest, so had to break off halfway through the film.

I'll revisit it later in the week and work my way through the whole thing. Maybe when I'm feeling a little more awake, it'll sit better with me. But for now, I'll say it's something of a disappointment. I had high hopes for this one.

Haven't seen it, and I probably won't, but I must say Daniel Auteuil knows how to inhabit these downbeat civil servants and working class crooks in French crime noirs. Or maybe the genre inhabits him. In any case, he's the perfect actor for this kind of character and any film he undertakes is enriched by his presence. A seriously good actor. Blame it on Emmanuelle Béart ....

Comment

Haven't seen it, and I probably won't, but I must say Daniel Auteuil knows how to inhabit these downbeat civil servants and working class crooks in French crime noirs. Or maybe the genre inhabits him. In any case, he's the perfect actor for this kind of character and any film he undertakes is enriched by his presence. A seriously good actor
              Of his recent films, I thought Auteuil was excellent in Olivier Marchal's MR 73. Now, in contrast with THE LOOKOUT, MR 73 is an excellent film in which Auteuil channels something of Dana Andrews in WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, or possibly Robert Ryan in ON DANGEROUS GROUND. Auteuil can also be very good in comic roles (Patrice Leconte's MON MEILLEUR AMI springs to mind).

Honestly, I think Kassovitz is an equally good actor, given the right material. He's good in this film, but he really shines in ASSASSIN(S). I like him in Audiard's SEE HOW THEY FALL too.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Who is Steno?

Know of any other cornerstones, pile them up right here.
                Steno is an Italian director, known primarily for his comedies and lighthearted action pics (think Spencer and Hill vehicles). He also took Lucio Fulci under his wing when the Maestro first was getting started, and-according to Lucio himself-taught him quite a bit early on.

I would grab virtually any Blue Underground or Noshame released Eurocrime entry; they're all worth your time, in my humble opinion!

Comment

Oh, I have the Blue Undergrounds and a few NoShames. Imports and films like EXECUTION SQUAD I need to catch up with.

Incidentally, the premise of EXECUTION SQUAD sounds a lot like MAGNUM FORCE (1973), doesn't it.

Comment

More cornerstones, Andrew? It takes four to hold up a building.

Comment

Oh, I have the Blue Undergrounds and a few NoShames. Imports and films like EXECUTION SQUAD I need to catch up with.

Incidentally, the premise of EXECUTION SQUAD sounds a lot like MAGNUM FORCE (1973), doesn't it.
                      It's quite a bit like MAGNUM FORCE, to be honest, Richard. A couple of the scenes of violence have a real ring of truth to them, in light of some of the stuff taking place in Italy at the time the film was made. It's a fantastic little film; the German DVD is lovely.

Comment

Yes, like Paul says, EXECUTION SQUAD's premise is similar to MAGNUM FORCE - though it pre-dates that film so it should be the other way around. I actually find the conspiracy behind the vigilante policemen to be far more sinister in EXECUTION SQUAD too.

As far as other good eurocrime films go, Richard, it's a damn shame that a lot of the really good ones have yet to be released in english friendly dvds. You can find a lot of fan versions at the bootleg sites. Now for what's out there, THE CYNIC, THE RAT, AND THE FIST is a good film (though it's another pricey import sadly) and a very nice dvd. I can't recall, do you have the first Di Leo BD set? That's essential, all very entertaining and at least two of them - THE ITALIAN CONNECTION and MILANO CALIBRO 9, are flat out classics.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

The first FERNANDO DI LEO CRIME COLLECTION is a personal favorite. I agree about CALIBER 9 and THE ITALIAN CONNECTION. I saw the films on DVD some years before Raro picked them up. On the whole, with all factors considered, I think the Italians were better at police / crime noirs than they were at westerns.

I'm not surprised EXECUTION SQUAD predates MAGNUM FORCE just like THE STRANGERS GUNDOWN / DJANGO THE BASTARD (1969) predates HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (1973). At least Clint came up with better titles. On the other hand I consider MAGNUM FORCE one of Clint's smarter films.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                            ... I actually find the conspiracy behind the vigilante policemen to be far more sinister in EXECUTION SQUAD too...
                            More sinister? I have to see it.

Where I live vigilante cops aren't a conspiracy at all, they're a simple fact of life.
                            Richard--W
                            a straight arrow
                            Last edited by Richard--W; 03-13-2013, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I'd consider Castellari's High Crime to be a "cornerstone." It's well worth trying to track down, although I don't think there's been a proper, English friendly DVD release Stateside. Deodato's Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man (released via Raro) is highly recommended, as well.

Comment

I'd like to find Umberto Lenzi's L'Uomo della strada fa giustizia (Manhunt in the City, 1975) starring Henry Silva and Luciana Paluzzi.

Released on a DVD by 01 Distribution in Italy.

Anyone seen it?

Comment

Working...
                                X