Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me or do a lot of Italian crime films start with the same car chase in which a car crashes through a pile of burning boxes? :)

Comment

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
      Is it me or do a lot of Italian crime films start with the same car chase in which a car crashes through a pile of burning boxes? :)
      I think that scene originated in Martino's THE VIOLENT PROFESSIONALS and it's in one of Lenzi's films, I'm thinking I saw it in at least one other movie too. Maybe WEAPONS OF DEATH? It's good to recycle, haha.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
        I think that scene originated in Martino's THE VIOLENT PROFESSIONALS and it's in one of Lenzi's films, I'm thinking I saw it in at least one other movie too. Maybe WEAPONS OF DEATH? It's good to recycle, haha.
        Just watched Weapons of Death the other night, and it really blew me away. Didn't even realize until about halfway in that it was a sequel to Napoli Violena. Dug Leonard Mann in the Merli role of the Inspector, and actually thought the Gennero scenes were humorous, assisted by de Masi's music, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Scyther View Post
          Just watched Weapons of Death the other night, and it really blew me away. Didn't even realize until about halfway in that it was a sequel to Napoli Violena. Dug Leonard Mann in the Merli role of the Inspector, and actually thought the Gennero scenes were humorous, assisted by de Masi's music, of course.
          I agree, Scyther, WEAPONS OF DEATH is a kickass movie. This one really needs an english friendly release, it's criminally unknown. One weird thing is how Gangster Story by the de Angelis boys (from HIGH CRIME) pops up on the soundtrack...very odd. It's even on the soundtrack cd but it jarringly stops in the middle of the tune. I wonder if it was used as a temp track and then for whatever reason was left in. de Masi's score is great, love the jazzy opening theme.

Comment

One weird thing is how Gangster Story by the de Angelis boys (from HIGH CRIME) pops up on the soundtrack...very odd. It's even on the soundtrack cd but it jarringly stops in the middle of the tune. I wonder if it was used as a temp track and then for whatever reason was left in. de Masi's score is great, love the jazzy opening theme.
            I thought it was weird, as well! During the chase scene when the ride that family off the road, correct? Then again, I always have time for some De Angelis tunes however I can get 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              However, listening again I'm absolutely certain that whoever's voice is used in ROMA VIOLENTA (Steiner's or another voice actor's) is also the person who dubbed Lovelock in Grau's film.
              And another one (slightly OT): the voice of the young chap on the aeroplane with whom Laura Gemser chats at the start of Bitto Albertini's EMANUELLE NERA. Now, I'm sure that's the same voice actor as the above, but minus the put-on Cockney twang - and it sounds a heck of a lot like Steiner himself.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

For those interested, Dorado Films is now selling DVDr copies for their screener of Special Cop in Action a.k.a. Italia a Mano Armata. Supposedly better quality than the YouTube vid, and uncensored. At only 6 bucks, probably going to pick this one up soon!

http://doradofilms.com/store/111100000009/

Comment

Interesting, thanks, Scyther. Pretty bold of them to do something like that. I have a nice fandub of it so I will probably pass.

That sounds about right re:the scene in WEAPONS OF DEATH where Gangster Story is heard btw. Been quite some time since I watched it. All this talk has made me bump it up in the rewatch pile though...

Comment

Wait, so what Dorado is doing is selling DVD-R screeners of movies taken from lousy sources at a cheap price of $6 in order to potentially fund better DVD versions down the road?

That's what it sounds like.

http://doradofilms.com/screeners/

Odd.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It seems that way, although they promise that the DVDr will be of "slightly better quality" than the 1" tape source used for the YouTube version. Will probably bite the bullet and check it out next payday.

Comment

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziottes

So I was thunderstruck by how awesome BIG GUNS with Alain Delon looks based on the trailer on the TRAILER WAR Blu Ray.

Does anyone know what the best English friendly dvd is out there under any title?

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                          So I was thunderstruck by how awesome BIG GUNS with Alain Delon looks based on the trailer on the TRAILER WAR Blu Ray.

Does anyone know what the best English friendly dvd is out there under any title?
                          I have the Japanese King Records dvd, not sure how available it is these days and it's not fully uncut either. You can read a breakdown of the uncut Dutch VHS vs. that disc here...has a better english friendly disc ever been released? I'm not aware of one myself. Great, great film. It's a shame Tessari didn't do a lot of crime films. Killer score too btw.

Comment

I have the Japanese King Records dvd, not sure how available it is these days and it's not fully uncut either. You can read a breakdown of the uncut Dutch VHS vs. that disc here...has a better english friendly disc ever been released?
                            Re: BIG GUNS/TONY ARZENTA. I don't think so, Andrew. There's an Italian disc which I think is the only uncut version on DVD, but it's not English friendly.

Beware the 'Pop Flix' version in the BIG GUNS COLLECTION, as I believe it's even shorter than the Japanese DVD.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

It's also included in the Thug City Chronicles collection with a bunch of other Eurocrime stuff, Horace.

Amazon's got it listed for $2.89 - I have this set and it includes:

-Tony Arzenta
                              -Bandidos
                              -Blind Rage
                              -Godfather's Daughter
                              -Manhunt
                              -The Boss
                              -Milan Caliber 9
                              -City Rats
                              -New Mafia Boss
                              -Redneck

Haven't opened it yet, not sure on the quality but when I get home later tonight I'll check the run time on Tony Arzenta - I wouldn't be surprised if it's a port of the Japanese disc. It'll be compressed but that Japanese disc is out of print and I'd imagine a complete bitch to try and track down.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Though having said that, it looks like it was reissued?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KKDS-556

This version is Italian language with Japanese subs though, at least according to that listing.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X