Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MILANO CALIBRO 9 (MILAN CALIBRE 9)
    CONFESSIONS OF A POLICE CAPTAIN
    ROMA VIOLENTA (VIOLENT ROME) or NAPOLI VIOLENTA (VIOLENT NAPLES)
    REVOLVER (Sollima)
    LA POLIZIA RINGRAZIA (EXECUTION SQUAD)
    LA POLIZIA INCRIMINA, LA LEGGE ASSOLVE (HIGH CRIME)

That should give you a good spread of the different styles within the poliziesco picture, Willem - from the thoughtful to the action-packed :)
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

You forgot ALMOST HUMAN, ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH and STREET LAW Paul. 😄

Comment

And The Big Racket.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

and The Violent Professionals! Seriously, though, this is one of my favorite genres, and the ones listed here are just a few of the great examples of Eurocrime/Poliziotteschi at its best. Whatever you do, grab the Fernando di Leo Crime Collection and anything released by Noshame (except Double Game, that one's for the diehards, and not recommended until you've really seen the style at its best). There are bunch of multipack sets from PopFlix which contain some good Eurocrime (Big Guns, Napoli Violenta, Master Touch), as well, for relatively cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
            You forgot ALMOST HUMAN, ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH and STREET LAW Paul. 😄
            ALMOST HUMAN and STREET LAW, most definitely - although I prefer HIGH CRIME by a very small margin. I think Willem said he's already seen ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH though.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've already seen Rome Armed To The Teeth and I've got the Fernando Di Leo crime collection, already watched the first two (Milano Calibro 9 and Italian connection), and Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs. I'll definitely have to check out some more of this stuff.

I really enjoyed Rome Armed To The Teeth. A great pace, very violent, ... As long as you can stomach the film's fascist/right-wing approach to crime of course (all criminals are scumbags, you can do anything to someone you've arrested to make them confess, even beat the shit out of them, ...). I just viewed it in its 1970s context. I definitely need more films like this. Fascist cops, scumbag criminals, violence, ...

Comment

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
                I really enjoyed Rome Armed To The Teeth. A great pace, very violent, ... As long as you can stomach the film's fascist/right-wing approach to crime of course
                This is a recurring theme throughout the genre. There are exceptions of course, but you'll encounter a lot of it the deeper you dig.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                  I received this German release of ROMA VIOLENTA on Saturday, and can confirm that it's got an English track. The back cover says German and Italian only, but the disc itself contains the German and English dubs - with no sign of the Italian track.

Video quality isn't great, but it's anamorphic. I'll post some screengrabs in a day or so, when I've got a bit of free time.

It can be bought from Amazon Germany's marketplace: http://www.amazon.de/Gewalt-durch-St...8&sr=1-3-fkmr0
                  As promised, screenies of the German Arcade DVD release of VIOLENT ROME:

Comment

Thanks for the screenshots, Paul. Not great looking but still a tempter.

Two films I would love to see get nice releases:

BANDITS IN MILAN - Carlo Lizzani directs this most unusual entry in the genre. Told in documentary fashion (we even see the film crew early on) and starring Gian Maria Volonte and Tomas Milian - the latter in a more subdued mode which is how I generally prefer him. Volonte is awesome as the psychotic leader of a violent gang, mowing down innocents left and right in his escape. Opens in chaotic fashion then flashes back to tell the events leading up to the climax. One of the best! Good Ortolani score too.

I AM AFRAID - Another notch in Damiano Damiani's belt, this is a downbeat, paranoid thriller with Volonte as a cop who begins to fear for his life as he unravels a conspracy of secret service and terrorists. As good as Volonte usually was this perhaps might be his finest hour. He's understated and always believable as he slowly recognizes the hopelessness of his situation.
                    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Both good films, Andrew. It took a long time for Damiani's CONFESSIONS OF A POLICE CAPTAIN to get a decent English-friendly release, but I'd love to see these two hit DVD with an English track/subs soon.

Comment

I already saw three films from the F. Di Leo Crime Collection 4DVD box.
                        Milano Calibro 9: good stuff, although I didn't manage to stay focused for the entire film.
                        The Italian Connection: again, good film, but even though it was only about 90 minutes long, I lost interest during the last ten minutes.
                        Il Boss: now that's what I call a ganster film! Good story, interesting characters, lots of backstabbing and other scumballisms, ...

Comment

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
                          I already saw three films from the F. Di Leo Crime Collection 4DVD box.
                          Milano Calibro 9: good stuff, although I didn't manage to stay focused for the entire film.
                          The Italian Connection: again, good film, but even though it was only about 90 minutes long, I lost interest during the last ten minutes.
                          Il Boss: now that's what I call a ganster film! Good story, interesting characters, lots of backstabbing and other scumballisms, ...
                          All three of those are pretty bofferino in my book, though I think CALIBRO 9 is a stone cold classic and just a cut above.

This thread inspired me to watch one I've been meaning to revisit for a few weeks, BLOODY PAYROLL. Mario Caiano's film is a textbook example of the form. Paced like a jackrabbit with ample doses of sleaze and violence. Claudio Cassinelli is an ice cold sociopath trying to track down the loot from his robbery gone wrong. John Steiner pops in long enough to meet a grisly end and Silvia Dionisio takes her top off (and actually has some acting to do, which she handles quite well). Caiano is probably nothing more than a competent craftsman but I find his westerns and crime films hold up really well. Here's another that could use a nice, english friendly dvd or blu-ray.

Comment

Just rewatching VIOLENT ROME via the German DVD, and it's struck me that in the English version John Steiner ('Frank Spidone, alias 'English') is dubbed by the same sub-Dick Van Dyke 'cor-blimey, guv - ain't I Cockerney' voice actor who dubbed Ray Lovelock in THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE. Am I right, or... am I right or am I right, right, right, right? (GROUNDHOG DAY, anyone? )

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                              Just rewatching VIOLENT ROME via the German DVD, and it's struck me that in the English version John Steiner ('Frank Spidone, alias 'English') is dubbed by the same sub-Dick Van Dyke 'cor-blimey, guv - ain't I Cockerney' voice actor who dubbed Ray Lovelock in THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE. Am I right, or... am I right or am I right, right, right, right? (GROUNDHOG DAY, anyone? )
                              That's funny, Paul, because when I watched THE DEVIL WITHIN HER a while back I noticed that John Steiner's voice was the same as Lovelock in LET SLEEPING CORPSES...made me wonder if it was Steiner's actual voice and did he dub Lovelock.

"Did you ever have deja vu?"
                              "Didn't you just ask me that?"

Comment

I haven't seen THE DEVIL WITHIN HER for a long time (20 years or so), but you may be right, Andrew. Underneath that exaggerated 'Cor blimey, guv' Cockney accent in ROMA VIOLENTA it may very well be Steiner's own voice - it's hard to tell, admittedly, but at times it certainly sounds like Steiner. I assumed that Steiner was dubbed by another voice actor in ROMA VIOLENTA, but he may very well have dubbed his own performance in the English version of that film.

However, listening again I'm absolutely certain that whoever's voice is used in ROMA VIOLENTA (Steiner's or another voice actor's) is also the person who dubbed Lovelock in Grau's film.

Comment

Working...
                                X