Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FilmArt from Germany mentioned in their Facebook page that after about two years of trying they have finally managed to secure rights to release High Crime in Germany. They will try to make it English friendly but apparently don't know yet if they can. If I understood correctly they also don't know yet if it will be DVD, Blu-Ray or both, as they are still trying to figure out what kinds of material exist with the various producers (companies)... Or something like that. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
      The Eurocrime issue of VW is out now, I picked up a copy last night. Love that cover! Haven't read Scyther's overview article yet but it looks very promising and it's nice and long at 12 pages. It's illustrated with some great images too, and not just the ones you see everywhere. I have to admit, it was quite a thrill to see Merli snarling at me from the magazine shelf at B&N, haha.

Thanks for picking this up, man. Hope you dig the article! I'd love to do a part 2 at some point, dig down even further, as I've watched so many more crime films since writing this article back in November.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scyther View Post
        Thanks for picking this up, man. Hope you dig the article! I'd love to do a part 2 at some point, dig down even further, as I've watched so many more crime films since writing this article back in November.
        I did enjoy your article, it seemed well researched, well written, and was a good overview. Being a soundtrack fanatic, you know I loved that you took time to talk about Cipriani et all. Nice job! I hope you do get to do a follow-up, there's plenty to still uncover. This was one of their better issues all around in quite some time, there's also an equally lengthy (12 pages) review of the two Di Leo boxsets, a review of Mike Malloy's Eurocrime doc., spotlight review of THE BIG GUNDOWN, etc.

Several years ago VW ran a long article by eurocult soundtrack expert John Bender on Francesco De Masi, it's to this day one of my favorite articles they've ever run - Bender had actually met the late composer and had a touching story of letting him know how much his work meant to him. I wish they would get Bender to do this sort of thing on a regular basis, he's massively enthusiastic about soundtracks and knows his subject so well. There's so many others that deserve attention - Cipriani, Nicolai, Piccioni, etc.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I did enjoy your article, it seemed well researched, well written, and was a good overview. Being a soundtrack fanatic, you know I loved that you took time to talk about Cipriani et all. Nice job! I hope you do get to do a follow-up, there's plenty to still uncover. This was one of their better issues all around in quite some time, there's also an equally lengthy (12 pages) review of the two Di Leo boxsets, a review of Mike Malloy's Eurocrime doc., spotlight review of THE BIG GUNDOWN, etc.

Several years ago VW ran a long article by eurocult soundtrack expert John Bender on Francesco De Masi, it's to this day one of my favorite articles they've ever run - Bender had actually met the late composer and had a touching story of letting him know how much his work meant to him. I wish they would get Bender to do this sort of thing on a regular basis, he's massively enthusiastic about soundtracks and knows his subject so well. There's so many others that deserve attention - Cipriani, Nicolai, Piccioni, etc.
          Thanks so much for the kind words, man. There really is so much more to discuss, true, particularly on the soundtrack front. I don't think I've ever seen a film industry which treats musical accompaniment as such as vital part of the film making process. The Italians really hit home runs with their scores, and there's such a wide array of unreleased material out there in the wild. I'll have to track down that De Masi interview. He's never been one of my favorite composers, but it sounds like a worthy read.

Comment

• Day Of The Cobra on Blu-ray in stock at Diabolik. Ltd. to 1000 pcs.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/...gion-B%29.html
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Arrow are apparently releasing series one of the Italian series THE OCTOPUS/LA PIOVRA!

Which is nice :)

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/the-octopus-series-1/
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                Day Of The Cobra on Blu-ray in stock at Diabolik. Ltd. to 1000 pcs.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/...gion-B%29.html
                Everyone who does not buy this ought to be ashamed of themselves!
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                  Arrow are apparently releasing series one of the Italian series THE OCTOPUS/LA PIOVRA!

Which is nice :)

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/the-octopus-series-1/
                  I loved that series when it aired on TV. I bought the DVD set some years ago and it had aged horribly. Seasons 3-6 are absolutely fantastic though.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                    Everyone who does not buy this ought to be ashamed of themselves!
                    why? it sucks worse than a $5 hooker with overbite and braces.

Comment

• Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                      I disagree with this somewhat, it's definitely a lesser Castellari but it's still got a fair bit going for it. Lots of gunplay and fights - including a real hoot of one in a disco between Nero and a transvestite.

Comment

As a friend of mine used to say, 'You don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire'
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Lots of gunplay and fights ...
                          are you serious? missing action is actually my main criticism of the movie.. that AND the cringeworthy scenes with nero and his son.
                          you ever saw fulcis "voices from beyond"? there is a scene where the daughter meets her dead father by the lake.

makes you scream with laughter! that's the same feeling I get when I see nero and his son (moving in slow-mo) in "day of the cobra".

Comment

You clearly have no taste. The opening chase scene. The fucking soundtrack. Miss Bamboo. A guy getting shot in the crotch. Great locale.

Comment

• Looks like a new 2 disc dvd of CONVOY BUSTERS is out from Germany. Diabolik has it in stock. Good news for anyone who missed out on the No Shame one.

Extras :
                              - Booklet by Michael Cholewa
                              (Author of : THE TERROR WILL DIRECTOR - The Italian gangster and police film )
                              - Five interviews ( with , among others Ruggero Deodato and Enzo G. Castellari )
                              - Alternative German film version
                              - Italian & English Trailer
                              - Photo Gallery - See more at: http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/....56iqYazp.dpuf

Comment

• Cross-post with this and the Mario Bava thread, 'cause it's relevant to both threads. I've reviewed Arrow's RABID DOGS and included some large screengrabs and some comparisons of the HD footage with the SD inserts, which may be of interest to some: http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3441

Comment

Working...
                                X