Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    Agreed about Micalizzi - I just bought his soundtracks to ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH, CYNIC RAT FIST and CORLEONE - mesmerizing.
    SYNDICATE SADISTS is another of his I really like. While I think Cipriani is the best at the more somber, serious crime soundtrack, Micalizzi is pretty peerless when it comes to the funky stuff. Bixio - Frizzi - Tempera are among the few that can give him a run for his money.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
      SYNDICATE SADISTS is another of his I really like. While I think Cipriani is the best at the more somber, serious crime soundtrack, Micalizzi is pretty peerless when it comes to the funky stuff. Bixio - Frizzi - Tempera are among the few that can give him a run for his money.
      Cipriani is another composer who possesses a favorite couple of notes (I'm thinking La Polizia Sta a Guardare and Piranha Paura) but uses them for all they're worth! Not that I have a problem with that, of course, because they are some GREAT notes, heh.

I love Frizzi, both solo and with Vince Tempera and Franco Bixio. Together, they really possess a percussive power which can prove unequaled when it comes to the funk!

Comment

MondoDigital weighs in on SHOOT FIRST, DIE LATER and it's all good:

http://mondo-digital.com/shootfirst.html
        "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
        - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Ian's enthusiastic review of SHOOT FIRST DIE LATER makes it hard to wait for the box-set. I'm tempted jump the gun on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
            Ian's enthusiastic review of SHOOT FIRST DIE LATER makes it hard to wait for the box-set. I'm tempted jump the gun on this.
            It's a terrific film - violent, bleak and dark as hell. I will say though that the cat scene was upsetting to me, even if the poor thing wasn't really killed it was certainly treated very cruelly and terrified.

Comment

I will say though that the cat scene was upsetting to me, even if the poor thing wasn't really killed it was certainly treated very cruelly and terrified.
              It's been a few months since I watched the film so it's not completely fresh in my memory; but now that you mention it, Andrew, that scene jarred with me too.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

It's a terrific film - violent, bleak and dark as hell. I will say though that the cat scene was upsetting to me, even if the poor thing wasn't really killed it was certainly treated very cruelly and terrified.
                Hmm ... I don't know if I still want to see it now. A couple of days ago I was going to rewatch some Italian cannibal classics and I stopped after one because of sh*t like that. That's probably my biggest film turn-off, animals being mistreated.

Comment

To paraphrase Gilbert & Sullivan, I hate cats with a loathing that borders on absolute detestation. They make me physically sick; an allergy that I have no control over. But I do not to like to see any animal mistreated. My compassion also extends to human beings. I don't like to see people bullied, mistreated, tormented or dealt an injustice. However, I know that in movies the trick is always to make us believe that something is happening that isn't really happening. I hope the filmmakers behind SHOOT FIRST DIE LATER were so expert at this trick that they push our buttons. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

The cat scene bugged me too, which is why I pointed it out in the review. I wouldn't let that stop you from seeing the movie though. It's excellent and the cat scene does have some legitimate impact on the tone of that particular scene and in the context of the story being told, it's not out of place. I didn't like watching it, it made me uncomfortable (unlike Richard I like cats a lot) and even a little upset but it does affect the movie in a certain way. Not that I'm promoting animal cruelty, I abhore it, but at least here we can be sure that the cat wasn't actually killed.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• No, the cat wasn't killed but it was definitely terrorized - forced into a plastic bag that was then sealed at least for a few seconds. That wasn't any kind of cinematic trickery and the cat didn't know it was all make believe. I think it would have been just as effective to simulate it being shot or something without having to put it through that very stressful and scary scene. I love cats (have 3) but it would have bothered me just as much if it had been a small dog. That said, I still think the film is worth seeing. The scene bothered me but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the film and it's nowhere near as brutal as the animal deaths in the cannibal films.

Comment

• Mondo Digital scores with the first review of The Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection volume 2:

http://mondo-digital.com/shootfirst.html

I wish Raro had included BLOOD AND DIAMONDS (1977) in this set, to bring the count up to 4 films like in volume 1.
                        Richard--W
                        a straight arrow
                        Last edited by Richard--W; 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Has anyone seen di Leo's LOADED GUNS (1975):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Still no sign of BLOOD AND DIAMONDS (1977) getting released.

Comment

• I've seen it, it's watchable but not much more.
                            Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

• Richard, LOADED GUNS is quite lightweight, frothy stuff, but fun nonetheless.
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                                Richard, LOADED GUNS is quite lightweight, frothy stuff, but fun nonetheless.
                                Agreed. Blood and Diamonds would have definitely made a good fourth film. Quite fond of that one, myself. The only film I haven't seen from the second set is Kidnap Syndicate; looking forward to checking it out!

Comment

Working...
                                X