Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd agree with Matt and fatboyslim that SUSPICIOUS DEATH OF A MINOR is a hybrid. It's got some unwelcome comedy bits in it and I rate it a fair bit under Martino's best stuff but it's worth seeing. The aforementioned CALLING ALL POLICE CARS is also an example. It was released on dvd as WITHOUT TRACE by Mya - that shady outfit. I haven't watched it in quite a while but I seem to remember it was at least acceptable in terms of quality.

Another good straight up poliziotteschi is COME CANI ARRABBIATI (LIKE RABID DOGS), it's a particularly violent and sleazy one. Released on BD from Camera Obscura (I know you're not BD friendly yet, Scott, but it's one to keep in mind for when you are). Lenzi's BROTHERS TILL WE DIE is another very good one.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• A few more I thought of that are well worth hunting down:

SILENT ACTION
      YOUNG, VIOLENT, DANGEROUS
      THE SICILIAN CONNECTION
      CONFESSIONS OF A POLICE CAPTAIN

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
        Another good straight up poliziotteschi is COME CANI ARRABBIATI (LIKE RABID DOGS), it's a particularly violent and sleazy one. Released on BD from Camera Obscura (I know you're not BD friendly yet, Scott, but it's one to keep in mind for when you are).
        They released a DVD version as well (PAL only, of course). It's a good one.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• How is MEET HIM AND DIE? It's one of the few Raro discs left that I haven't got.

Thanks fellas! I got some hunting to do now, cheers!
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
            Going via Wikipedia & Pollanet Squad (the latter is a Poliziotteschi database site) here you go:

1) Wiki:

Death Occurred Last Night (1970)
            What Have They Done to Your Daughters? (1974)
            The Suspicious Death of a Minor (1975)
            Calling All Police Cars (1975)

2) Pollanet Squad (list http://www.pollanetsquad.it/scheda.p...eri&cod=GIALLO):

Gli angeli del 2000 (1969)
            Brucia ragazzo brucia (aka Burn, Boy, Burn) (1969)
            So Sweet... So Perverse (1969)
            Un detective (1969)
            Perversion Story (1969)
            The Weekend Murders (1970)
            In the Folds of the Flesh (1970)
            Senza via d'uscita (1970)
            The Double (1971)
            The Fifth Cord (1971)
            Death Walks on High Heels (1971)
            Web of Deception (1971)
            L'uomo pií¹ velenoso del cobra (1971)
            The Designated Victim (1971)
            What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)
            Short Night of the Glass Dolls (1971)
            My Dear Killer (1972)
            Death Walks at Midnight (1972)
            The Bloodstained Lawn (1973)
            Il vero e il falso (1972)
            Torso (1973)
            Puzzle (1974)
            La donna della domenica (1975)
            Istantanea per un delitto (1975)
            Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)
            Plot of Fear (1976)
            Watch Me When I Kill (1977)
            Gli uccisori (1977)
            Enigma rosso (1978)
            La mazzetta (1978)
            The Last House on the Beach (1978)
            Giallo napoletano (1979)

Hopefully this will help you out.
            Totally forgot to add this one to the list.

The Killer with a Thousand Eyes (1973)

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
              How is MEET HIM AND DIE? It's one of the few Raro discs left that I haven't got.
              It's fairly good but I wouldn't call it essential. Aka RISKING. The BD is not one of Raro's better looking ones. I'd put it near the bottom of the "to buy" list.

Comment

How is MEET HIM AND DIE? It's one of the few Raro discs left that I haven't got.

Thanks fellas! I got some hunting to do now, cheers!
                There are some UK releases that are better than the US raro ones especially 'The Perfume of the Lady in Black' (a much higher bit rate and superior encoding) & 'The Cold-Blooded Beast' (A Longer Cut).

Comment

• Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up, fatboyslim. I do already have the US disc of PERFUME, but it's nice to know going forward.

Comment

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up, fatboyslim. I do already have the US disc of PERFUME, but it's nice to know going forward.
                    Both have been released by 88 Films.

The following also have better UK releases:

Milano calibro 9 (Arrow Video) - Newer Transfer
                    Nightmare City (Arrow Video) - Better PQ all round & includes 2 presentations of the film (1 is a new 2k scan of the film's original negative; and the other is an older scan of a 4-perf dupe negative)
                    Conversation Piece (Eureka - Masters of Cinema) - 'The same extras as the Raro one but includes this "Luchino Visconti: The Quest for the Impossible" documentary' which the US release doesn't have
                    Body Puzzle (88 Films) - Because this is on BD in the UK whereas it is ONLY on DVD in the US

Comment

• I received PAURA IN CITTA (FEAR IN THE CITY) in the mail today via the Alan Young DVD. This was everything I want out of a Maurizio Merli movie! The shootout at the cemetery, the fight on the bus, and the ending at the rail yard were all fantastic! James Mason seemed to actually be drunk and the dumb cop who dies at the end was an emotional bit I wasn't expecting. I almost held off on getting this because reviews weren't so hot but I'm glad I didn't!

Comment

• Paul and Andrew, I got that German disc of EXECUTION SQUAD and gave a spin earlier, it was excellent! Thank you for nudging me to pick this up. I only wish I knew German, that second disc with all the extras looks amazing. I scrubbed through it just to look at the posters and film clips.

I know they aren't related but I've liked all the SQUAD movies I've seen. EMERGENCY SQUAD and STUNT SQUAD both surprised me by how much I liked them and how not silly either one is.

What else has Steno done?

Comment

Paul and Andrew, I got that German disc of EXECUTION SQUAD and gave a spin earlier, it was excellent! Thank you for nudging me to pick this up. I only wish I knew German, that second disc with all the extras looks amazing. I scrubbed through it just to look at the posters and film clips.

I know they aren't related but I've liked all the SQUAD movies I've seen. EMERGENCY SQUAD and STUNT SQUAD both surprised me by how much I liked them and how not silly either one is.

What else has Steno done?
                          He (Stefano Vanzina) was mostly known for comedies. I think EXECUTION SQUAD is his only true crime film. FLATFOOT combines crime with slapstick.

Enrico Maria Salerno is so great in the film, he brings a gravitas to the role that's unique. The Cipriani score is one of the best, probably my favorite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                            He (Stefano Vanzina) was mostly known for comedies. I think EXECUTION SQUAD is his only true crime film. FLATFOOT combines crime with slapstick.

Enrico Maria Salerno is so great in the film, he brings a gravitas to the role that's unique. The Cipriani score is one of the best, probably my favorite.
                            There is Double Murder (1977) as well.

Comment

• I watched CALLING ALL POLICE CARS via the Mya WITHOUT TRACE disc. Thanks again Andrew, this was exactly what I was looking for! Perfect blend of cops and giallo. Like everyone says it was very similar to WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS?, with the social worker lady taking a big part in the investigation and everything. Tons of nudity but never felt as sleazy as other pics.

I thought the Mya disc was fine but I'm not really a stickler for this stuff, as long as the aspect ratio is right and it's uncut and not terribly faded I'm usually satisfied.

Comment

I watched CALLING ALL POLICE CARS via the Mya WITHOUT TRACE disc. Thanks again Andrew, this was exactly what I was looking for! Perfect blend of cops and giallo. Like everyone says it was very similar to WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS?, with the social worker lady taking a big part in the investigation and everything. Tons of nudity but never felt as sleazy as other pics.

I thought the Mya disc was fine but I'm not really a stickler for this stuff, as long as the aspect ratio is right and it's uncut and not terribly faded I'm usually satisfied.
                                I'm glad you liked it, Scott. It's a pretty underrated film really, should be better known. Great cast (aside from Antonio Sabato maybe), Luciana Paluzzi and another outstanding performance from Enrico Maria Salerno. He's one of my favorite actors. The only thing I don't like about it is the lame score by Lallo Gori. One of the worst Italian composers.

Comment

Working...
                                X