Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziotteschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I have the Japanese King Records dvd, not sure how available it is these days and it's not fully uncut either. You can read a breakdown of the uncut Dutch VHS vs. that disc here...has a better english friendly disc ever been released?
    Re: BIG GUNS/TONY ARZENTA. I don't think so, Andrew. There's an Italian disc which I think is the only uncut version on DVD, but it's not English friendly.

Beware the 'Pop Flix' version in the BIG GUNS COLLECTION, as I believe it's even shorter than the Japanese DVD.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands

• Andrew Monroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    So I was thunderstruck by how awesome BIG GUNS with Alain Delon looks based on the trailer on the TRAILER WAR Blu Ray.

Does anyone know what the best English friendly dvd is out there under any title?
    I have the Japanese King Records dvd, not sure how available it is these days and it's not fully uncut either. You can read a breakdown of the uncut Dutch VHS vs. that disc here...has a better english friendly disc ever been released? I'm not aware of one myself. Great, great film. It's a shame Tessari didn't do a lot of crime films. Killer score too btw.

Leave a comment:

• Horace Cordier

• Horace Cordier
    replied
    Euro-crime: policier, polar, poliziesco all'italiana, poliziottesco/poliziottes

So I was thunderstruck by how awesome BIG GUNS with Alain Delon looks based on the trailer on the TRAILER WAR Blu Ray.

Does anyone know what the best English friendly dvd is out there under any title?

Leave a comment:

• Scyther

• Scyther
    replied
    It seems that way, although they promise that the DVDr will be of "slightly better quality" than the 1" tape source used for the YouTube version. Will probably bite the bullet and check it out next payday.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Wait, so what Dorado is doing is selling DVD-R screeners of movies taken from lousy sources at a cheap price of $6 in order to potentially fund better DVD versions down the road?

That's what it sounds like.

http://doradofilms.com/screeners/

Odd.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands

• Andrew Monroe
    replied
    Interesting, thanks, Scyther. Pretty bold of them to do something like that. I have a nice fandub of it so I will probably pass.

That sounds about right re:the scene in WEAPONS OF DEATH where Gangster Story is heard btw. Been quite some time since I watched it. All this talk has made me bump it up in the rewatch pile though...

Leave a comment:

• Scyther

• Scyther
    replied
    For those interested, Dorado Films is now selling DVDr copies for their screener of Special Cop in Action a.k.a. Italia a Mano Armata. Supposedly better quality than the YouTube vid, and uncensored. At only 6 bucks, probably going to pick this one up soon!

http://doradofilms.com/store/111100000009/

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    However, listening again I'm absolutely certain that whoever's voice is used in ROMA VIOLENTA (Steiner's or another voice actor's) is also the person who dubbed Lovelock in Grau's film.
    And another one (slightly OT): the voice of the young chap on the aeroplane with whom Laura Gemser chats at the start of Bitto Albertini's EMANUELLE NERA. Now, I'm sure that's the same voice actor as the above, but minus the put-on Cockney twang - and it sounds a heck of a lot like Steiner himself.

Leave a comment:

• Scyther

• Scyther
    replied
    One weird thing is how Gangster Story by the de Angelis boys (from HIGH CRIME) pops up on the soundtrack...very odd. It's even on the soundtrack cd but it jarringly stops in the middle of the tune. I wonder if it was used as a temp track and then for whatever reason was left in. de Masi's score is great, love the jazzy opening theme.
    I thought it was weird, as well! During the chase scene when the ride that family off the road, correct? Then again, I always have time for some De Angelis tunes however I can get 'em!

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands

• Andrew Monroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Scyther View Post
    Just watched Weapons of Death the other night, and it really blew me away. Didn't even realize until about halfway in that it was a sequel to Napoli Violena. Dug Leonard Mann in the Merli role of the Inspector, and actually thought the Gennero scenes were humorous, assisted by de Masi's music, of course.
    I agree, Scyther, WEAPONS OF DEATH is a kickass movie. This one really needs an english friendly release, it's criminally unknown. One weird thing is how Gangster Story by the de Angelis boys (from HIGH CRIME) pops up on the soundtrack...very odd. It's even on the soundtrack cd but it jarringly stops in the middle of the tune. I wonder if it was used as a temp track and then for whatever reason was left in. de Masi's score is great, love the jazzy opening theme.

Leave a comment:

• Scyther

• Scyther
    replied
    I think that scene originated in Martino's THE VIOLENT PROFESSIONALS and it's in one of Lenzi's films, I'm thinking I saw it in at least one other movie too. Maybe WEAPONS OF DEATH? It's good to recycle, haha.
    Just watched Weapons of Death the other night, and it really blew me away. Didn't even realize until about halfway in that it was a sequel to Napoli Violena. Dug Leonard Mann in the Merli role of the Inspector, and actually thought the Gennero scenes were humorous, assisted by de Masi's music, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands

• Andrew Monroe
    replied
    Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
    Is it me or do a lot of Italian crime films start with the same car chase in which a car crashes through a pile of burning boxes? :)
    I think that scene originated in Martino's THE VIOLENT PROFESSIONALS and it's in one of Lenzi's films, I'm thinking I saw it in at least one other movie too. Maybe WEAPONS OF DEATH? It's good to recycle, haha.

Leave a comment:

• Wllm Clys

• Wllm Clys
    replied
    Is it me or do a lot of Italian crime films start with the same car chase in which a car crashes through a pile of burning boxes? :)

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    I haven't seen THE DEVIL WITHIN HER for a long time (20 years or so), but you may be right, Andrew. Underneath that exaggerated 'Cor blimey, guv' Cockney accent in ROMA VIOLENTA it may very well be Steiner's own voice - it's hard to tell, admittedly, but at times it certainly sounds like Steiner. I assumed that Steiner was dubbed by another voice actor in ROMA VIOLENTA, but he may very well have dubbed his own performance in the English version of that film.

However, listening again I'm absolutely certain that whoever's voice is used in ROMA VIOLENTA (Steiner's or another voice actor's) is also the person who dubbed Lovelock in Grau's film.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands

• Andrew Monroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    Just rewatching VIOLENT ROME via the German DVD, and it's struck me that in the English version John Steiner ('Frank Spidone, alias 'English') is dubbed by the same sub-Dick Van Dyke 'cor-blimey, guv - ain't I Cockerney' voice actor who dubbed Ray Lovelock in THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE. Am I right, or... am I right or am I right, right, right, right? (GROUNDHOG DAY, anyone? )
    That's funny, Paul, because when I watched THE DEVIL WITHIN HER a while back I noticed that John Steiner's voice was the same as Lovelock in LET SLEEPING CORPSES...made me wonder if it was Steiner's actual voice and did he dub Lovelock.

"Did you ever have deja vu?"
    "Didn't you just ask me that?"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X