The Cinematic Enigma Of The Caligula Rip Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cinematic Enigma Of The Caligula Rip Off

I have a weird fascination with this admittedly very limited sub-genre of Italian sexploitation... the Caligula knock off (Caligulaspliotation?)!

I just bought the last copy Diabolik had in stock of D'Amato's Caligula: The Untold Story with Laura Gemser and David Brandon, the fancy two disc uncut edition with extra sleaze, and already have the PAL release of Caligula And Messalina.

Some of these are remarkably sleazy - sex and sadism, violence, taboo busting perversity, bestiality even - but there's generally a good sense of composition and decent production values. Really though, it's the sleaze factor that appeals to me about these movies.

Anyone else intrigued by these rip offs of Tinto Brass' best known film?

I don't think I've seen Caligula Reincarnated As Hitler and there's one called Messalina (aka Caligula II: Messalina) from 1977 I'd like to see...

A few other titles of interest....

Orgies Of Caligula

A Virgin For Caligula

I don't know anything about those last two and some of these get retitled so often that it gets complicated but D'Amato and Mattei turned in some entertaining entries.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I don't think I've seen Caligula Reincarnated As Hitler...
    That's also known as "Gestapo's Last Orgy." Doesn't really have anything to do with Caligula, other than the name -- just a straight up Naziploitation.

That being said, I quite like it. It's probably my favorite Nazi nasty.

Comment

Isn't CALIGULA 2 the same film as CALIGULA THE UNTOLD STORY? I've been thinking about investigating these films but I have no idea which editions to buy. You know -- which editions are uncut, English friendly, anamorphic, with good transfers etc. Did you buy the Greek editions? There is also THE SLAVES OF CALIGULA.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

I honestly think D'amato's Caligula 2 is better than the original. The performances aren't better but the story and pacing is much clearer and moves at a great pace. Plus it features a scene where a guy gets a spear shoved up his ass.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I love D'Amato's CALIGULA: THE UNTOLD STORY.

Richard, the best release of this was the X-Rated release from Germany, which is now OOP. However, it's also been released in Italy - but that version apparently features a lesser encode than the German release (although the Italian disc is anamorphic, whereas the German release is not), and it also does not feature subtitles for the portions of the film that were never dubbed into English (about 20 minutes of the film IIRC - again, the German release has English subs for these sequences).
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I have a weird fondness for these films too - and Caligula in general is a fascinating sicko - I always forget about CALIGULA AND MESSALINA when thinking of Mattei's body of work but it's a well done sleazer. I too prefer D'Amato's Caligula film to the Brass one, it really is paced much better and no one outdoes Joe when it comes to sleaze.

Anyone who's into these films would be well served by reading the graphic novel Caligula by David Lapham with gorgeous art from German Nobile. It's outrageously gory and eye poppingly sleazy but it also has a strong story of intrigue and a unique explanation for Caligula's madness. The first issue of the sequel mini-series Caligula Heart Of Rome came out last month.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I have fond memories of discovering films like this. About ten years ago, me and a friend, wanted to rent a film. At first, we didn't really find anything sleazy enough, until we suddenly saw the name 'Joe D'Amato' on one of the covers. There wasn't a lot of info on cult/gore/horror/exploitation on the net back then, but we both knew the director and knew that this was going to be good. We were right! :) That's what I call a good night, seeing your first D'Amato and your first Caligulasploitation.

Shouldn't we call this orgysploitation? hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post
                That's also known as "Gestapo's Last Orgy." Doesn't really have anything to do with Caligula, other than the name -- just a straight up Naziploitation.
                Ah, then I have seen it. Didn't realize it was the same movie, but I guess the whole Hitler angle should have clued me in.

Richard, regarding Caligula 2/Caligula The Untold Story, yes, I believe that the movie went under both titles. I just got the Italian 2 disc release and will post some screen caps later tonight, time permitting. If Paul's right about the missing subs for those scenes, I'll be annoyed but life will go on.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So which is the best out of this sub-genre?

Comment

Coincidentally was watching Caligula 2 just last night. That movie is nuts! Emmanuelle In America is the one with the rep but for sheer excess and depravity The Untold Story leaves it in the dust. Starts off violent as hell and then about 45 minutes in decides it's a hardcore. From then on it's still violent as hell but now we've also got everything from rampant fellatio to graphic midget sex and horsey hand jobs.

If I'm ever a very rich man I'm going to submit this to the local censorship board for classification. They'd blow a fuse.
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Some caps from the 'version integrele' off of the Italian Stormovie release of Caligula: The Untold Story (which, to answer Robert's question, is the best of the bunch that I've seen).

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	342293

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	342294

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	342295

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	342296

Name:	05.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	342297

Name:	06.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	342298

Name:	07.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	342299

Name:	08.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	342300

Name:	09.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	342301

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	342302
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	342303

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	342304

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	342305

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	342306

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	342307
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And from the non-anamorphic shorter version of the movie...

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	342315

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	342308

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	342309

Name:	19.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	342310

Name:	20.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	342311

Name:	21.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	342312

Name:	22.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	342313

Name:	23.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	342314
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah...The D'Amato one is definitely the best one I have seen on this subject.....Old Joe was a real pro when he put his heart and mind to something that interested him

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                              Yeah...The D'Amato one is definitely the best one I have seen on this subject.....Old Joe was a real pro when he put his heart and mind to something that interested him
                              He also had the right sort of style to tackle a project like that. He made a lot of period style movies and obviously had a thing for costumes and exotic locations and, of course, sex and violence, so a Caligula style movie would have obviously been right up his alley. In hindsight I think it would have been cool to see him to more movies in this vein. As it stands, this is the only one I know of that he made outside of one listed on the IMDB called Virgin For The Roman Empire that maybe something similar? Never seen it, don't know of any easily accessible release - just speculation on my part based on the title.

But then, later in his filmography, there are these movies:

Nero: Orgy Of Fire (1997)

Name:	nero.jpg
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	342317

Caligula: The Deviant Emperor (1997)

Name:	caligula.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	342318

Messalina: The Virgin Empress (1996)

Name:	messlina.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	342319

These all appear to be shot on video hardcore features, but I figure they still count.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X