Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLACK SABBATH and BARON BLOOD coming from Arrow

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
    If Arrow does indeed release the AIP version of BLACK SABBATH, I'm buying it. You bet I am.

While the Italian cut is the better film, I cherish the additional intros with Karloff and his wonderful voice in "The Wurdelak."

Also we are spared the self-destructive, fourth-wall breaking twist at the end which isn't funny anyhow.
    Exactly. This is a case where both cuts have artistic merit. The AIP cut of this in HD has been a holy grail of mine for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
      Exactly. This is a case where both cuts have artistic merit. The AIP cut of this in HD has been a holy grail of mine for years.
      Who owns the AIP cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
        Who owns the AIP cut?
        MGM, off the top of my head. MGMHD is where the hi-def bootlegs have been recorded from, and they own the American rights to Witchfinder General which was also an AIP acquisition.

Comment

I watched the Kino version of BARON BLOOD and I hope the Arrow will look and sound better.

Comment

MGM owns the dub and score for the AIP version, but since they don't seem to own the home video rights to the film, they can't release it. Which is why it would make sense for them to license the dub and score to whoever has the dvd/blu-ray rights.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
              Paul, if you find that VHS recording and hit paydirt..please let us know.
              I've dug out my VHS recording of the C4 broadcast, and it is indeed the English dub. Running time is about 77 mins.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

This just popped up on Facebook...

Pretty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1225_523350031032329_1456054998_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	342361
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Arrow Video: Black Sabbath
                  Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD - £15.99
                  Cat No: FCD778

Released: 29 Apr 2013

Starring: Boris Karloff, Mark Damon
                  Directed by: Mario Bava
                  Rating: TBC
                  Duration: TBC

Overview: Black Sunday was such a huge hit that a follow-up was swiftly demanded, and horror maestro Mario Bava duly devised this three-part horror anthology blending modern and period stories.

In the giallo-style 'The Telephone', a woman is terrorised by her former pimp after his escape from prison, and tries to escape him with the help of her lesbian lover, who has a dark secret of her own. In the Victorian-era 'The Drop of Water', a nurse steals a ring from the corpse of a dead spiritualist, which naturally tries to get it back. But it's the 19th-century Russian story 'The Wurdalak' that comes closest to Bava's earlier classic, with the great Boris Karloff as a much-loved paterfamilias who might not be entirely what he seems.

Bava's direction is as stylish as ever, and Black Sabbath is almost a compendium of his favourite themes.

Special Features:
                  - High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of two versions of the film; 'I tre volti della paura' - the European version with score by Roberto Nicolosi & 'Black Sabbath' - the re-edited and re-dubbed AIP version with Les Baxter score, on home video for the first time
                  - English SDH subtitles for English Audio and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian audio
                  - Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
                  - Introduction to the film by author and critic Alan Jones
                  - A Life In Film - An Interview with star Mark Damon
                  - Three Faces of Black Sabbath - A comparison of the different versions of the film
                  - International Trailer
                  - US Trailer
                  - Italian Trailer
                  - TV and Radio Spots
                  - Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic David Cairns and a substantial interview with AIP Producer Samuel Z. Arkoff on his experiences of working with Bava, conducted by Tim Lucas, illustrated with original stills and posters

Region B/2
                  RRP £22.99

Name:	BLACK_SABBATH_2D_DUAL_compressed.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	342368
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Arrow Video: Baron Blood
                    Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD - £15.99
                    Cat No: FCD777

Released: 29 Apr 2013

Starring: Joseph Cotten, Elke Sommer
                    Directed by: Mario Bava
                    Rating: TBC
                    Duration: TBC

Overview: One of horror giant Mario Bava's biggest hits, Baron Blood returns to the all-stops-out Gothic atmosphere and the central theme of a witch's curse that fuelled his breakthrough film Black Sunday twelve years earlier.

This time, the curse was placed on Baron Otto von Kleist, Austria's legendarily murderous 'Baron Blood', whose corpse is inadvertently revived when an ancient incantation is read out as a joke by a descendant and his girlfriend. Naturally, the Baron decides to carry on where he originally left off, with the help of an entire vault of elaborate torture devices.

Joseph Cotten (Citizen Kane, The Third Man) has a whale of a time as the deceptively charming Baron, and is given sterling support from Elke Sommer (Lisa and the Devil), who is chased through fog-shrouded alleyways in one of Bava's most memorably atmospheric set-pieces.

Special Features:
                    - High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of three versions of the film: Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga with Italian opening and closing titles and Baron Blood with English opening and closing titles and the European English export version audio, and for the first time on home video, the AIP version with alternate score by Les Baxter
                    - Three audio versions: Optional Italian, European English and AIP English re-dub and re-score
                    - English SDH subtitles and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian audio
                    - Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
                    - Introduction to Baron Blood by author and critic Alan Jones
                    - Trailers for Baron Blood
                    - Baron Blood Radio Spots
                    - Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
                    - Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Oliver James, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

Region B/2
                    RRP £22.99

Name:	BARON_BLOOD_2D_DUAL_compressed.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	342369
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

We really don't need the DVDs in these collections. People who want these films on DVD already have them.

Really looking forward to BLACK SABBATH with the Italian and alternative AIP cut on blu.
                      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

I disagree. I like the option of having both a newly remastered Blu-ray and DVD. I don't always have access to my Blu-ray player. My laptop only has a DVD drive. Many of my friends only have DVD players, so if I want to watch or share a film with them, Blu-ray alone is a no good. Having the newly minted DVD as a back-up option is nice.

Comment

I too like the inclusion of a DVD copy, for the reasons Lee has put forwards. (Often, I lend discs - especially stuff like the Bava titles - to my mother, who hasn't got a Blu-ray player.)

Anyone know what's happening with Arrow's BLACK SABBATH? Amazon UK now says BLACK SABBATH is 'currently unavailable' and has no release date for it - which is something you often see when a title has been cancelled or its release delayed to an unknown date: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Sabbat...dp/B00B5CTRV0/
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

BLACK SABBATH and BARON BLOOD coming from Arrow

Groan.

Here we probably go again. Arrow may have not gotten their house in order in terms of the rights or something. Considering their appalling history of screwups I sadly always assume the worst with these guys.

My order at Amazon UK has disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                              Here we probably go again. Arrow may have not gotten their house in order in terms of the rights or something.
                              This is what I'm worrying about too, Horace, especially regarding the planned inclusion of the AIP cut. It may just be a simple mistake with Amazon, but who knows? I'm expecting the worst now.

Comment

Still no update on Amazon. I wonder what's happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X