X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLACK SABBATH and BARON BLOOD coming from Arrow

Just spotted this:

http://m.blu-ray.com/news/newsitem.php?id=10205

The AIP cut of SABBATH? Holy smokes - if Arrow don't screw this up (sadly always a possibility with the house of Callum) this could be their biggest coup yet. Fingers crossed - hard.

It says this is the first time the AIP cut has been on home video...wasn't that the version on the SABBATH/SUNDAY laserdisc from back in the day?

Click image for larger version

Name:	51YS3pMccwL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	342239
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

BLACK SABBATH and BARON BLOOD coming from Arrow

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
      It says this is the first time the AIP cut has been on home video...wasn't that the version on the SABBATH/SUNDAY laserdisc from back in the day?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5286[/ATTACH]
      Not sure - but it's the only version with Karloff's voice and its radically different from the Italian cut. You can see this version on Netflix (though sadly in SD) or in HD if you have the MGM channel.

Comment

FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT is apparently a 'bonus' on the BARON BLOOD Blu-ray too!
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
          FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT is apparently a 'bonus' on the BARON BLOOD Blu-ray too!
          And in HD too! Bummer is that Leone won't allow the English dubbed cut of FOUR out though - which also has longer sex scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
            And in HD too! Bummer is that Leone won't allow the English dubbed cut of FOUR out though - which also has longer sex scenes.
            With Leone, the credo seems to be 'baby steps'

I can't remember if the version of FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT screened on Channel 4 as part of their 'Eurotika' series in 1998/1999 was the English dubbed version or not. I must have a look and see if I can find my VHS recording of it.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Leone also won't deal with Redemption now because he thinks they're Satanic.
              :cuckoo:
              For real.
              Well, that's what Redemption has said on FB.

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                For real.

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                  For real.
                  Can't find a trace of that on their page.

Comment

Bill from Code Red is currently working with Leone as well, and he said it's the trashy vamp goth babe junk Leone is turned off by.
                    More likely than the satanic thing, but not as amusing.

I can confirm AIP 's cut of BLACK SABBATH was indeed on laser, I have a copy :) It's a lousy full screen presentation that looks exactly like it did on TV in the 1970's...so it evokes some nostolgia just by looking bad.

Do not think I knew about a fleshier English version of 4 TIMES....damn! This seems like a must have. Usually the Englsih versions have less nudity when it comes to films from this era.
                    Paul, if you find that VHS recording and hit paydirt..please let us know.
                    https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hope whatever these problems are between Leone and Redemption we still get a proper Blu of the delayed RABID DOGS. The fact that he thinks that butchery known as KIDNAPPED is the superior version is problematic enough, but I really hope we get the truly great version on Blu.

If Arrow do a good job on these Bava titles Redemption run the risk of having the inferior Blus on the market - the inclusion of crucial alternate cuts is a HUGE advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
                        Bill from Code Red is currently working with Leone as well, and he said it's the trashy vamp goth babe junk Leone is turned off by.
                        Makes sense now. I remember Redemption's VHS tapes, and whilst some of their earlier covers were pretty good, the later ones were ruined (imo) by an overemphasis on the PVC vamp thang. I remember buying their WITCHFINDER GENERAL and STAGEFRIGHT tapes from HMV, and the cover of both cassettes raised a few eyebrows (of the 'Eh, eh, look at what this one's buying' kind) at the till.
                        Paul, if you find that VHS recording and hit paydirt..please let us know.
                        Will do.

Comment

I think the Satanic bit is based in some reality. I wouldn't be surprised if Alfredo learned of the formerly banned nasty nun epic Mr. Wingrove and flipped out over it.

Comment

Here's the interaction on FB re: Leone, Redemption, and Satan:

Originally posted by FB conversation
                            Me: Disappointed in seeing how Kino handled BLACK SUNDAY. Did Redemption get to look at it before it was released? I have the blu and it ranges from looking very good to not so hot (gray, murky). This is Mirek Lipinski's comparison shots of the Kino dvd vs the old Image dvd: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...54880208_n.jpg
                            Like · · Share · September 23, 2012 at 12:06pm near Chicago

Redemption Films: Its actually not a Redemption release. Due to a bizarre issue with the producers who suddenly got it into his head that Redemption was a satanic company we couldn't handle them so, no, we weren't directly involved in these. Plus the producer has been all over the place in terms of supplying materials ....
                            November 21, 2012 at 1:34am · Like

Me: The producer being Leone? Serious about the satanic thing...? Must be that nun thing of Nigel's, eh? Lol
                            November 21, 2012 at 11:23am via mobile · Like

RF: Yes. One minute everything was sweetness and light and the next fire and brimstone!
                            November 21, 2012 at 12:11pm · Like

Me:Huh. Weirdsville!
                            November 21, 2012 at 1:08pm via mobile · Like

Me:He realizes what some of his movies are about, right....? ; P
                            November 21, 2012 at 1:09pm via mobile · Like

Another poster:After all, BLACK SUNDAY's actual English title is THE MASK OF SATAN.
                            November 21, 2012 at 1:11pm · Unlike · 2

Me:LISA & THE DEVIL, HOUSE OF EXORCISM, etc, etc...
                            November 21, 2012 at 1:14pm via mobile · Like · 2

Someone else: It was not consistent. some of it looked very good indeed though. I wondered about the source materials
                            November 21, 2012 at 5:49pm · Like

Comment

If Arrow does indeed release the AIP version of BLACK SABBATH, I'm buying it. You bet I am.

While the Italian cut is the better film, I cherish the additional intros with Karloff and his wonderful voice in "The Wurdelak."

Also we are spared the self-destructive, fourth-wall breaking twist at the end which isn't funny anyhow.
                              "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                              - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Working...
                              X