No announcement yet.

Dracula | Horror of Dracula (1958) pre-order March 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on a quick glance through the film, there's a heavy blue tint during the night scenes, which looks a little 'modern' and I suspect may be a product of techniques involved in the digital (rather than photochemical) restoration. However, the rest of the film isn't saturated in blue - and the other colours are as rich as ever. (The screenies used to create the impression that this is saturated in a blue tint seem to have been selected to support this argument and aren't necessarily representative of the presentation of the film as a whole.) In truth, it's slightly colder than the Warners version, but as I remember from watching a 35mm print back in the 1990s in the same week as Warners' Terror Vision VHS release (which came out at around the same time my local BFI-funded cinema screened the film), the Warners VHS release - and subsequent DVD release - was warmer in its tones than the 35mm print I saw. Now, this is 20 years ago, so I can't say whether this is identical to the 35mm print I saw back in the 1990s, but I reckon it's closer to it than Warners' various home video presentations. Perhaps this is due to the alleged differences between the 35mm prints in the UK and those in the US, which has been alluded to above and elsewhere.

I've not had chance to watch it yet, and can't take BD grabs, but here are some screenies from the DVD version, which will hopefully illustrate what I said above. (They're in the lossy JPG format, but they'll do the job, I reckon.)

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Thanks for the screencaps, Paul.

Got mine today.

But I'm too sick with flu to concentrate on watching a movie. The fever is at 102. Maybe tomorrow or the next day.

Back to sleep with the bucket nearby.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Get well soon Richard :) I hate those days when you're laid up with the flu or whatever, and thus get a day off work, but you're so ill that you can't even muster up the energy to read a book or watch a film.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Get better, Richard!

Thanks for the caps and input Paul & Lalala.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Get better Mr. W! Mine should be here any day now.

Comment

Ive heard that studio canal have scrapped their plans for future hammer releases on bd in UK (including what was forthcoming in April) frankenstein created woman. Anyone have more info?

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                Ive heard that studio canal have scrapped their plans for future hammer releases on bd in UK (including what was forthcoming in April) frankenstein created woman. Anyone have more info?
                I'm pretty sure we won't see any more releases from StudioCanal in the UK. I know FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN was listed on Amazon, but I don't know if StudioCanal ever had any firm plans of bringing that film to BD over here. (At least it's going to be released in Germany soon!)

To be honest, I bought all of the StudioCanal discs except for THE DEVIL RIDES OUT: although it's one of my favourite Fisher films, I couldn't abide the thought of the CG effects added to the film. RASPUTIN was frustrating because of the issues with the sound, but I thought all of the others were perfectly serviceable. Some were better than others. I never saw the problems with THE REPTILE: the opening sequence looked grotty, but I just put it down to an issue with the optical titles. The rest of the film played out fine for me. I was particularly happy with QUATERMASS AND THE PIT and PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES, another of my favourite Hammer pictures. (I was glad to see Gilling's films get a fair go-round on the new format, as imo they've always been quite neglected by fans.)

Comment

The annoying thing is that for whatever reasons they have decided against releasing further titles, means that there is now very little hope for any other hammer titles coming on BD. I mean what hope is there now for Captain Kronos or any other lesser known title. I just hope that Lionsgate decide to continue. I cant even remember what companies own the rights to what films, especially in UK. Warners and Universal right?? I guess I just keep hold of my Koch media dvds as the remasters on them are superb anyway. Whats the release date for FCW by anolis? I think even that got put back didnt it? cant find it on amazon.de.

Comment

I have reservations about the color timing and density. Flesh tones are washed out and missing texture. There is more texture in clothing than in close-ups. Sometimes blue and green are highlighted more than they should be, but it's a subtle thing. For a dead giveaway of the color manipulation, look at how the blood turns bright and purplish in the jar when Van Helsing finishes the transfusion scene. The transfer is a click or two too dark, as opposed to the WB DVD which was a couple of clicks too bright.

There is considerably more clarity, detail, presence and dimensionality in the blu-ray than any other home video or broadcast version. This blu-ray is the starting point for fans of the film and newcomers. It is also in the correct aspect ration of 1.66 which helps immensely. It is preferred over the old Warner Brothers DVD, which now looks too brown and yellow -- representing the signature of Ned Price and the indifference of George Feltenstein.

For the best representation I've seen yet of the color and density of the 1958 theatrical release, see the scan of the Japanese print in the supplements. It may be heavily damaged and incomplete, but that's how the film should look for color and density.

All things considered, I recommend the Lionsgate blu-ray. It ain't perfect and it could have been much, much better. But it's the only game in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                      I have reservations about the color timing and density. Flesh tones are washed out and missing texture. There is more texture in clothing than in close-ups. Sometimes blue and green are highlighted more than they should be, but it's a subtle thing. For a dead giveaway of the color manipulation, look at how the blood turns bright and purplish in the jar when Van Helsing finishes the transfusion scene. The transfer is a click or two too dark, as opposed to the WB DVD which was a couple of clicks too bright.

There is considerably more clarity, detail, presence and dimensionality in the blu-ray than any other home video or broadcast version. This blu-ray is the starting point for fans of the film and newcomers. It is also in the correct aspect ration of 1.66 which helps immensely. It is preferred over the old Warner Brothers DVD, which now looks too brown and yellow -- representing the signature of Ned Price and the indifference of George Feltenstein.
                      A very measured appraisal, Richard, which I agree with :)

Comment

The transfer is a disappointment to me, Paul. A big disappointment. I expected better. It should be better. One has only to listen to Ben Thompson's explanation in the supplement to realize that the transfer should have been assigned to a different person, someone who would make the original dye transfer answer print that Fisher and Asher decided on for theatrical release the objective of this transfer. Instead he had another goal. As is often the case, the problem arises in the decision-making, not the source materials.

Comment

If it's any consolation, it seems BRIDES OF DRACULA and EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN may be getting bd/dvd releases in June & July from Final Cut in the UK...
                          bgart13
                          Last edited by bgart13; 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM.

Comment

That's good news. Keep us informed, Ben. BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960) and EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958) received right & proper transfers in Universal's Hammer Collection so let's hope Final Cut maintains the standard in the U.K. blu-rays.

Comment

A possible problem is that the masters from that 8 film set were destroyed by the Uni fire a few years back. The masters made afterwards -- at least for BoD -- were pretty poor. Hopefully new ones have been made and done well.

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                                A possible problem is that the masters from that 8 film set were destroyed by the Uni fire a few years back. The masters made afterwards -- at least for BoD -- were pretty poor. Hopefully new ones have been made and done well.
                                Where did Koch media source their prints from? The remasters of these on their dvds (although are not HD) are exceptional imo. Its a dilemma with BOD and EOF as whoever does the HD mastering has his work cut out to top these, and again is only my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X