No announcement yet.

Dracula | Horror of Dracula (1958) pre-order March 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine has been posted too. Based on Amazon's track record, it should hopefully arrive on Monday, or Tuesday at the latest.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

There's another interview here with Marcus Hearn about this release. Did anyone get a copy yet?

He mentions Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell and The Mummy are in the works.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        There's another interview here with Marcus Hearn about this release. Did anyone get a copy yet?

He mentions Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell and The Mummy are in the works.
        Got my copy yesterday, but then I do live in the Uk

Comment

I got a screener set a few weeks back, and got around to writing my review last night. I thought it looked great in motion. Here are my thoughts.

http://eurocultav.com/Reviews/Horror..._blu-ray_.html
          EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
            I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, which is slightly unusual as it was posted on Saturday; but Royal Mail in our area are sometimes late with deliveries (I think they just like stuff hanging round the depot... you know, for kicks), so I'm expecting it tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Let us know your impressions the instantaneous moment you watch it, Paul.

Originally posted by Scott MacDonald View Post
              I got a screener set a few weeks back, and got around to writing my review last night. I thought it looked great in motion. Here are my thoughts.

http://eurocultav.com/Reviews/Horror..._blu-ray_.html

Thanks for the informative and encouraging write-up.
              "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
              - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Well?
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Dracula | Horror of Dracula (1958) pre-order March 17

This is no time to go wobbly UK members. Post your reviews here!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    Well?
                    Watched this today. Im going to be brutally honest. Firstly, if there is a blueish tinge I certainly didnt notice it as the screengrabs floating around were very misleading. However, maybe because I had very high expectations for this release I was initially a little disappointed (if you can be with Dracula). REASON Mainly because even though there has been obvious care an attention applied I didnt really notice a huge leap in improvement over the dvd like I was anticipating, though there must be. Dont get me wrong (and I suspect if I revisit the dvd) then I will notice the difference, but I didnt feel blown away like I thought I would. It still looks a little soft to me, though the colours are vibrant .I think perhaps that with the quality of the recent restorations by Hammer that I have become acclimbatised and come to expect a certain standard. What I would say though is that it (excuse the language) pisses all over the Cof restoration. Its nice to have the few seconds of re-integrated footage albeit it really is seconds. The extras are very interesting. This all sounds negative, but If I was going to start all over again then this is obviously the version I would buy. I guess it just didnt meet my overly high expectations. Its still an excellent restoration job though and well I guess that If I hadnt anything to compare it to then I think I could well have been blown away. EDIT: BTW on skimming through you can definately see more detail. Im going to reset my expectations and rewatch tonight fully and post a second opinion.
                    Lalala76
                    Last edited by Lalala76; 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I popped the dvd on for a few minutes tonight (not the bd, Argento's lousy Drac killed that function on my player over the weekend...). Initial impressions are HOLY SMOKES and ZOWEE!

Comment

Watched this today. Im going to be brutally honest. Firstly, if there is a blueish tinge I certainly didnt notice it as the screengrabs floating around were very misleading. However, maybe because I had very high expectations for this release I was initially a little disappointed (if you can be with Dracula). REASON Mainly because even though there has been obvious care an attention applied I didnt really notice a huge leap in improvement over the dvd like I was anticipating, though there must be. Dont get me wrong (and I suspect if I revisit the dvd) then I will notice the difference, but I didnt feel blown away like I thought I would. It still looks a little soft to me, though the colours are vibrant .I think perhaps that with the quality of the recent restorations by Hammer that I have become acclimbatised and come to expect a certain standard. What I would say though is that it (excuse the language) pisses all over the Cof restoration. Its nice to have the few seconds of re-integrated footage albeit it really is seconds. The extras are very interesting. This all sounds negative, but If I was going to start all over again then this is obviously the version I would buy. I guess it just didnt meet my overly high expectations. Its still an excellent restoration job though and well I guess that If I hadnt anything to compare it to then I think I could well have been blown away. EDIT: BTW on skimming through you can definately see more detail. Im going to reset my expectations and rewatch tonight fully and post a second opinion.
                        So I rewatched this last night after I had had got over the euphoria of Dracula being posted through my door. Ive come to the conclusion that for some mad moment of delusion I must have become blind or something. The BD is so much better, which kind of renders my original post invalid. You will notice how much better it is in particular scnes such as when Harker is bitten by the vampire woman and Lee rushes in a blaze of fury. That scene in particular looks amazing. I think its the outdoor scenery scenes that threw me off guard as I didnt notice so much then. Also If you compare it to the dvd you will definately notice that there has been tinting applied, especially in the night scenes and crypt etc. But imo it actually makes the film look better and more atmospheric. In a nutshell Im a pleb!!!

Comment

OK. I'd held off on preordering this, went back and forth on it a few times, now I'm sold on it again.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm still eagerly awaiting the postie! :sadface:

Comment

It arrived about forty minutes ago, but I had to return to work before I even had time to break the seal :D I shall watch it this evening.

Comment

I went back and forth too, Ian, but finally pre-ordered Friday. Mine is in transit but probably won't get here til next week. I look forward to Paul's thoughts after he's seen it. A couple UK members at the CHFB have been happy with theirs fwiw.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X