Different country, different cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different country, different cuts

I recently acquired a box of old VHS tapes. Some of them are crap, but most are interesting cult/horror. The problem is that for example Bloody Moon (J. Franco) is a Greek edition and there is no info about the actual lenght of the film on the back cover, I have no idea if the film is (un)cut.

I was wondering if Greek authorities had a tendency to cut a lot of gore / nudity out of films or if they are rather tolerant? IMDB doesn't offer me any help.
    I've never seen the film so watching it wouldn't really solve the problem, since I don't know how much gore / sleaze to expect :)

Isn't it sometimes the case that the Greeks tend to get the juicy stuff left in?

I know that the only truly uncut release of Death Wish 2 happened on Greek VHS.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      Isn't it sometimes the case that the Greeks tend to get the juicy stuff left in?
      Yeah, that was what I was thinking -- seems like I remember several times of hearing that Greek releases were used as sources for extended versions of movies.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I like what I'm reading. I feel like watching Bloody Moon tonight ...

Comment

If you haven't seen it before you're in for a good time. It's a lot of fun.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            If you haven't seen it before you're in for a good time. It's a lot of fun.
            Yeah, I really dug Bloody Moon. I didn't expect it to be very good, because Franco tends to phone it in when he's working in genres that aren't his typical thing (c.f. his cannibal movies) -- but it's actually a really fun slasher. I don't know that I'd have been able to guess it was Franco if I'd watched it without knowing that.

Comment

Yeah, Dutch and Greek were usually the best back in the VHS days. English was to be avoided like the plague...
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Slightly OT, but isn't the Dutch dvd of Tenebrae the only completely uncut version of the film available?

Comment

VIDEO WATCHDOG used to list information like this (along with movies re-titled for other countries).

Is video Watchdog still going?

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                    Yeah, Dutch and Greek were usually the best back in the VHS days. English was to be avoided like the plague...
                    You did that on purpose, right?

Dutch, Greek and Danish tapes were (are) the shit. Always fully uncut and English audio. Italian and Asian films carried the English dub too so these tapes were very collectable back in the day.
                    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
                      Slightly OT, but isn't the Dutch dvd of Tenebrae the only completely uncut version of the film available?
                      Years ago the Dutch, Scandinavian and French DVD's were the only true uncut versions, yes. The Anchor Bay dvd and most other DVD's have some cuts. DVDCompare says the new Arrow DVD is also fully uncut. I don't know about blu-rays.
                      http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2464

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                      Is video Watchdog still going?
                      Yes.
                      http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/home.html
                      Jack J
                      Last edited by Jack J; 12-12-2012, 01:19 AM.
                      2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

As I recall, the French and UK Blu-rays are both intact.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

By the way, some of those old 'Dutch' VHS tapes were probably Belgian. If they were produced for the Flemish market (northern part of Belgium) they were also in Dutch. Belgium also issued films on VHS (largely) uncut.

Comment

I remember owning a good few DUTCH tapes of horror movies back in the day!

Comment

Working...
                            X