Italian Sci-Fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Sci-Fi

Thought I'd start a thread on the crabs of the Italian film industry: Sci-fi.

Anyone else excited that Battle of the Stars just got an English friendly Blu Ray release in Germany? Don't be, because despite the fucking thing saying that it has an English language track in the specs on the back cover, it doesn't. It also looks like it might be an upscale despite claiming that it's licenced from Variety in Rome.

In the history of German atrocities, it's a minor one, but I'm still pissed off that I was tricked into buying it. Leck mich am Arsch!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Ah, okay. I might be the dick here. It says "Deutsch, Italienisch & Englisch". So that might mean that it's a mixed track, not Italian and English. We shall see. Either way, it's fucking duplicitous.

Edit: Nope, no English unless you count the theme song. Bastards.
    agent999
    Last edited by agent999; 07-20-2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

This is a blindspot for me. I've seen a couple, but I just keep picturing STARCRASH and I want to watch it again. I've heard good things about THE HUMANOID.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

There's a good book on the subject by Matt Blake: Science Fiction Italian Style

There's more to it than the dire (but great fun) post Star Wars movies, it goes back to the more out there movies of the 60s with Sci -Fi elements like The 10th Victim and the bizarre superhero movies. And of course, everyone's favourite Quatermass rip-off: Caltiki.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
          Thought I'd start a thread on the crabs of the Italian film industry: Sci-fi.

Anyone else excited that Battle of the Stars just got an English friendly Blu Ray release in Germany?
          Is that the Alfonso Brescia film? I've seen lots of Italian sci-fi, and I have to admit, I have a fond (if not also guilty) admiration for his movies in this genre, including the one you mentioned, as well as WAR OF THE ROBOTS, COSMOS: WAR OF THE PLANETS, and especially STAR ODYSSEY (which I originally watched under the title CAPTIVE PLANET). For some reason, THE BEAST IN SPACE didn't appeal to me as much, despite the additional exploitative elements.
          VHS will never die!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne Marshall View Post

Is that the Alfonso Brescia film? I've seen lots of Italian sci-fi, and I have to admit, I have a fond (if not also guilty) admiration for his movies in this genre, including the one you mentioned, as well as WAR OF THE ROBOTS, COSMOS: WAR OF THE PLANETS, and especially STAR ODYSSEY (which I originally watched under the title CAPTIVE PLANET). For some reason, THE BEAST IN SPACE didn't appeal to me as much, despite the additional exploitative elements.
            Yes, that's the one. Need to check out Star Odyssey.

Comment

Working...
            X