Deaf Crocodile Restoring The Pied Piper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf Crocodile Restoring The Pied Piper

Kickstarter campaign is live to get this Czech stop motion film to Blu-ray and if you're into slipcovers you can get an exclusive one designed by Dave McKean.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...pcover-edition

"Born in Prague in 1948, Barta studied film at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design, and began making his first stop motion animated shorts in the late 1970s and early 1980s, often using wood, fur, hair and other organic materials to create his strange and Gothic visions. His early short “The Vanished World Of Gloves” (Zaniklý svet rukavic, 1982) is a marvelous and eccentric tour through cinema history, told entirely through animated gloves.

In the mid-1980s, Barta began work on his first feature – and acknowledged masterpiece -- THE PIED PIPER (KRYSAR, 1986). Based on The Pied Piper of Hamelin, is set in a dark and twisted medieval village of narrow streets and weird Gothic arches, half-CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI and half-Jan van Eyck. The money-obsessed citizens, carved out of wood blocks and speaking in an onomatopoeic babble (invented by Barta himself) are like George Grosz caricatures, literally spouting coins from their mouths instead of words. The rats are far more organic and sympathetic, made of real fur and whiskers, constantly tunneling and burrowing under the towering arches and cobblestone streets above. (In one of the film’s many surreal moments, a rat emerges from a gargoyle’s gaping maw.)"

Lots more info at the link.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

awesome!

put The Pied Piper on one evening for the residents in memory care

Comment

the bit towards the end when the Pied Piper is carrying the torch burned itself into my memory pretty hardcore the first time i saw this. visuals and music

love some Jiří Barta!

Comment

First review I've seen pop up for this one.

https://geekvibesnation.com/the-pied...lu-ray-review/
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
        X