Koch Media DVD catalog/Western Unchained Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koch Media DVD catalog/Western Unchained Collection

Some pretty big news from the Spaghetti-Western.net site that I figured was worthy of its own thread:

"Koch Media is currently planning to launch a new Spaghetti Western DVD collection, which encompasses Quentin Tarantino's favorite Spaghetti Westerns (taken from the SWDB-exclusive top 20 List) and many that he selected for the retrospective at the Venice Film Festival in 2007. The DVDs will be released on January 18th in Amaray Cases with cardboard sleeve, to coincide with the European release of Tarantino's Django Unchained, which hits German theaters on January 13."

The first ten titles to be released will be:

Last of the Badmen
    Death Does Not Count the Dollars
    Yankee
    Sugar Colt
    A Pistol for Ringo
    The Return of Ringo
    Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead
    The Mercenary
    Navajo Joe
    Tepepa
    Attached Files
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's also worth noting that Navajo Joe and Tepepa are getting Blu-ray releases.
    Attached Files
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Wow, pretty big news! LAST OF THE BADMEN and DEATH DOES NOT COUNT THE DOLLARS are particularly welcome as they've not had english friendly releases. The former is a really good one too. DEATH DOES NOT COUNT.. isn't bad either, it's Ricardo Freda's lone western I believe. Has a nice melancholy Nora Orlandi score too. Koch has already released nice dvds of the Ringo films and the others save TEPEPA and SUGAR COLT which has had a Japanese disc. That's a good one too - the film that is.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Those covers are all kinds of awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
          Those covers are all kinds of awesome!
          I agree, hell I'll be tempted to satisfy the completist in me and get 'em all even though a couple will be triple dips.

This is exciting, I had a feeling we'd see some great spaghetti releases on the heels of the Tarantino film. I'm looking forward to more surprises in the pipeline too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            It's also worth noting that Navajo Joe and Tepepa are getting Blu-ray releases.
            It's also worth noting that according to the link, TEPEPA BD/DVD will have a Tomas Milian commentary.

Comment

A whole whack of these are now in stock at Diabolik DVD for those who don't want to import.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/search/se...rch=koch+media
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've got three of the DVDs, the TEPEPA Blu and the new release of SHOOT THE LIVING... is on its way to me at the moment. Nice to see Koch releasing more Italian Westerns - I'd love to see them release IL MERCENARIO on Blu.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I'll buy TEPEPA on blu.

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                  Wow, pretty big news! LAST OF THE BADMEN and DEATH DOES NOT COUNT THE DOLLARS are particularly welcome as they've not had English friendly releases. The former is a really good one too. DEATH DOES NOT COUNT.. isn't bad either, it's Ricardo Freda's lone western I believe. Has a nice melancholy Nora Orlandi score too. Koch has already released nice dvds of the Ringo films and the others save TEPEPA and SUGAR COLT which has had a Japanese disc. That's a good one too - the film that is.
                  What's so good about LAST OF THE BADMEN and SUGAR COLT, Andrew?

I wonder if Koch plans to release more titles from QT's list, which is here:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/ind...hetti_Westerns
                  Richard--W
                  a straight arrow
                  Last edited by Richard--W; 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM.
                  "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                  - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Richard, LAST OF THE BADMEN (also known as TIME OF VULTURES) is a good solid example of the form, it's not a neglected classic but if you enjoy them it's well worth your time. Frank Wolff has a rare lead in it as a sociopathic, epileptic madman who kills because he enjoys it. George Hilton, the nominal protagonist, isn't completely likeable either as he's greedy and agrees to help Wolff commit a robbery when they both already have plenty of gold. BADMEN is a gritty and violent movie with a fast pace that never gets off the trail or throws in unwelcome comedy...right down to the downbeat ending.

SUGAR COLT is an unusual one, with a man of a thousand faces title character who goes undercover to look for some missing soldiers. Soledad Miranda has a fairly substantial role too - and gets high, haha. Hunt Powers aka Jack Betts was in many lower budget sw but this one started him out at the top. While it stays fairly lighthearted for most of the time, near the end it gets very serious and actually kind of moving (don't want to detail this to avoid spoilers). Memorable score too from Luis Bacalov.

Comment

Koch Media DVD catalog/Western Unchained Collection

I just picked up the TEPEPA Blu from Diabolik.

Comment

There's a review up for Tepepa here with some nice looking screen caps.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wonder if more titles will be released in this uniform series.
                          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                            I wonder if more titles will be released in this uniform series.
                            No, Koch is releasing their next batch of spaghetti westerns via the Italowestern Enzyklopadie format, a set. Volume 1 came out today and Volume 2 is scheduled for late May I believe. Titles on the first one are:

COWARDS DON'T PRAY aka THE TASTE OF VENGEANCE
                            ROY COLT AND WINCHESTER JACK
                            ...AND FOR A ROOF, A SKY FULL OF STARS
                            GENTLEMAN KILLER

I'll end up getting this, mainly for a nice pressed dvd of COWARDS DON'T PRAY. As I recall, the Wild East disc of GENTLEMAN KILLER was messed up regarding the aspect ratio, you had to change something on your player (been years since I watched it). Don't much care for the Bava...AND FOR A ROOF is okay (beautiful, sad opening scene then turns abruptly into a buddy comedy).

Comment

I didn't know this had finally come out! COWARDS DON'T PRAY would pretty much be my only reason to buy this, however, and possibly ... AND FOR A ROOF: I can live with WE's GENTLEMAN KILLER, and I have multiple versions of ROY COLT and SHAMANGO.
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X