Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrow Bringing Lisa & The Devil And Black Sunday To Blu-ray!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Bringing Lisa & The Devil And Black Sunday To Blu-ray!

Just announced...

Arrow Video: Black Sunday / The Mask of Satan / I Vampiri
    Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD - £15.99
    Cat No: FCD756

Released: 28 Jan 2013

Starring: Barbara Steele, John Richardson and Andrea Checchi
    Directed by: Mario Bava
    Rating: 15

Overview: STARE INTO THESE EYES... discover deep within them the unspeakable terrifying secret of BLACK SUNDAY... it will paralyze you with fright!

Legendary Scream Queen Barbara Steele (Shivers, Caged Heat) stars in this classic slice of gothic terror from the father of fantastic Italian cinema Mario Bava (Lisa & the Devil).

A beautiful witch is sentenced to death for her evil deeds by her own brother, condemned to die by having a metal mask hammered onto her face before being burnt at the stake. As she passes, she puts a terrible curse on all her future descendants as the spikes of the death mask pierce her flesh... But when two unwitting travellers discover her final resting place and worse, drip blood on her resting corpse, they unleash her once again in all her stunningly beautiful, terrifying glory....

Banned in the UK on its release, Black Sunday is a groundbreaking film that opened the door for Spaghetti horror in all its gory glory.

Special Features:
    - High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of two versions of the film; 'The Mask of Satan' - the European version with score by Roberto Nicolosi & 'Black Sunday' - the re-edited and re-dubbed AIP version with Les Baxter score, on home video for the first time
    - Three audio versions: Optional Italian, European English and AIP English re-dub and re-score
    - English SDH subtitles for both English versions and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian audio
    - Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
    - Introduction to the film by author and critic Alan Jones
    - Interview with star and horror icon Barbara Steele
    - Deleted Scene from the Italian version with notes by Tim Lucas
    - International Trailer
    - US Trailer
    - Italian Trailer
    - TV Spot
    - I Vampiri (1956) - Italy's first sound horror film directed by Riccardo Freda and Mario Bava
    - US I Vampiri Trailer 'The Devil's Commandment'
    - Trailer reel - trailers of all the major works by Mario Bava
    - Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
    - Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the films by Matt Bailey and Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

3 Discs: BD50 / DVD9 x 2
    Region B/2
    RRP £22.99

Limited Edition Slipbox Edition - only 1000 copies! Available exclusively from the Arrow store.
    Attached Files
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Arrow Video: Lisa and the Devil / The House of Exorcism
    Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD - £15.99
    Cat No: FCD757

Released: 28 Jan 2013

Starring: Telly Savalas, Elke Sommer and Sylva Koscina
    Directed by: Mario Bava
    Rating: 18

Overview: EVERY CORNER OF THE SOUL IS LOST TO THE ICY CLUTCH OF THE SUPERNATURAL!

From the father of Italian Horror Mario Bava (Black Sunday, The Whip and the Body) comes a tale of nightmarish surrealism and supernatural suspense.

Lisa (Elke Sommer) - an American tourist travelling in Spain - loses her tour party and seeks refuge in the tumbledown mansion of a blind countess after being guided there by the distinctly satanic butler of the house, Leandro (Telly Savalas - Horror Express, Kojak). The Son of the Countess notices Lisa's striking resemblance to his dead lover and pursues her as a night of murder, strange eroticism and dark hallucinations begins.

Re-cut in the US to cash in on the popularity of William Friedkin's The Exorcist and released as The House of Exorcism (included in this special edition) the original Lisa & the Devil is Bava at his abstract and delirious best, delivering a 70s horror classic and a masterclass in cinema as feverish nightmare.

Special Features:
    - High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of both versions of the film: 'Lisa and the Devil' and 'The House of Exorcism' producer's cut
    - Optional English and Italian audio on 'Lisa and the Devil'
    - English SDH subtitles on both features and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian Audio of 'Lisa and the Devil'
    - Audio Commentary on 'Lisa and the Devil' by Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
    - Audio Commentary on 'The House of Exorcism' by producer Alfredo Leone and star Elke Sommer
    - Introductions to both films by author and critic Alan Jones
    - The Exorcism of Lisa - Assistant Director Lamberto Bava, screenwriter Roberto Natale, Roy Bava and Bava biographer Alberto Pezzotta discuss the making of both versions of the film
    - Deleted Scene
    - Original trailers
    - Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
    - Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and author Stephen Thrower illustrated with original stills and archive posters

3 Discs: BD50 / DVD9 x 2
    Region B/2
    RRP £22.99

Limited Edition Slipbox Edition - only 1000 copies! Available exclusively from the Arrow store
    Attached Files
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Great news! Finally a BD with both the English AND the Italian dubs and with subs for the Italian. And I am sure plenty will be happy to also see the AIP version, too.

Though, I must admit, I don't understand the mention of 'I vampiri' in the extras of 'Black Sunday'. Will they, like, include the whole of 'I vampiri' as an extra? Why not just release it on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by Jens Thomsen View Post
        Though, I must admit, I don't understand the mention of 'I vampiri' in the extras of 'Black Sunday'. Will they, like, include the whole of 'I vampiri' as an extra? Why not just release it on its own?
        I take it to mean, yeah, they're including the whole movie. Maybe they didn't feel it was a popular enough title to release on its own so they're piggybacking it with a more viable title instead? No news if it's HD yet or not either (I Vampiri, that is).
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A dude over at AV Maniacs posted that Arrow confirmed to him in an email that I VAMPIRI will be SD.

Comment

So maybe that's why Babs didn't do an interview for the Kino release.

Guess I'll be double-dipping on this after all now.

Comment

I wonder if the deleted scene for Arrow's LISA AND THE DEVIL is the surprisingly explicit Tinti/Koscina sex scene....I wonder about such things.

Comment

Originally posted by P. Querut View Post
                I wonder if the deleted scene for Arrow's LISA AND THE DEVIL is the surprisingly explicit Tinti/Koscina sex scene....I wonder about such things.
                That might be enough to get me to double dip! :)
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I read these were going to be Region B locked.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
                    I read these were going to be Region B locked.
                    I'm not surprised. The Bava's are the only Kino/ Redemption releases to be region locked thus far, and I'd guess Arrow have been forced to lock theirs on the same basis.
                    https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

There's a thread on the Latarnia boards about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X