Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammer's The Devil Rides Out Has Been Lucasized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they're not going to have both versions on the release, maybe a special feature that included the original sequences as a part of a featurette on how and why they did the upgrades would be welcome? I never thought the original effects were that horrible, regardless of what the crew thought, and the scene at the ritual features the coolest onscreen devil in history in my opinion (which I hope they didn't tamper with!). But, like I said, based on the screenshots, the digitization seems more pointless than anything. It doesn't really make the effects worse, but it definitely doesn't improve them. I'd rather have that money spent on a featurette with guys like Kim Newman and Alan Jones talking about the film itself than the money spent on ineffectual and pointless digitization haha

Still glad it's getting an HD release, though.

Comment

Like I said, I'll still get it because I love the movie and I don't see another version coming out any time soon (if it gets a US release it'll probably be like all the other Studio Canal releases put out by Lionsgate, which have so far been the same as the Euro discs). The effects aren't horrible, but I guess if you're familiar with the movie they seem out of place?

It is puzzling that Hammer's PR team didn't say anything about this beforehand. Or if they did, apparantly most of us missed it.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, that. I'm also wondering how these will eventually turn up and be marketed in the States. I've not picked up any yet and might hold out to see what happens. I really don't want to be double-dipping on Blu's at this stage of the game.

I've held off on the Bava's too - thus far - for the same reason... let me know if you think that's crazytalk.

Comment

I haven't bought this new batch of releases (or the US Bava Blu-rays*) simply because I'm skint I have put money aside for the CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN BD later in the month, though.

* Having said that, if a good print of BLOOD AND BLACK LACE appeared on Blu, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. It's taking all I can to resist buying LISA AND THE DEVIL.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

It's tempting to jump in. B&BL would be a given but with it being held by VCI... I don't see anything satisfactory happening anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive Smith View Post
              It's tempting to jump in. B&BL would be a given but with it being held by VCI... I don't see anything satisfactory happening anytime soon.
              Yep, but on the other hand it'd be lovely if a European distributor would give the film a chance on Blu-ray. The Anolis DVD looked lovely, for example.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
              X