Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammer's The Devil Rides Out Has Been Lucasized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer's The Devil Rides Out Has Been Lucasized?

OK, the first review of the new upcoming Studio Canal Blu-ray release of The Devil Rides Out, which I was seriously looking forward to getting next month, contains this piece of interesting (and I must say unsettling) information:

"One of the most impressive sequences in The Devil Rides Out - not quite the climax, but near enough - has the heroes inside a magic circle as Mocata's satanic forces are sent to attack them. It's a powerful, dramatic, almost hysterical scene that ranks amongst the best of Hammer's dramatic set pieces, and renders the actual finale of the film a bit of an anti-climax. It's also long been one of the most problematic moments of the film thanks to some special effects that were pitiful even at the time. Both the giant tarantula and the Angel of Death that Mocata send to attack are neutered by really, really rotten optical effects. This new version tweaks these and other effects in a surprising George Lucas style spot of digital revisionism. Okay, it's not that dramatic - but unusually, there are several moments of new digitally created or revised effects in the film to improve on original imperfections. These are most obvious in this scene - the spider is made much more effective, the arrival (and facial close-up) of The Angel of Death arguably less so (simply because they are more obvious digitally created). None of these changes alter the dramatic thrust of the film, and I'd argue that even the most questionable are actually improvements over what was there to begin with - Hammer purists, however, might want to hold on to their old DVDs as well as own this."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'm going to pretend this is a fan edit, and approve.

Comment

I'll probably still buy it but I reserve the right to complain about it on the internet.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And it's George Lucas' fault.

Comment

Great, now George Lucas is touching other people's movies, when will this maniac be stopped!

My un-CGI'd DVD will keep me warm at night.
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Comment

Needs more Hayden Christensen.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll keep the DVD buy the Blu and bitch on the Internet.

It's the completist way.

Comment

It does occur to me however that who do the powers that be actually think are buying these things? Do they think moronic digital age kiddies who hate anything "old" are suddenly going to think these movies are "cool" and buy them because of some dubiously thought out new cgi insertions?

The mandate should be brutally simple: restore the films, using original elements, to the best possible quality.

Period.

Skip the dnr and all this other nonsense or at least offer a branching option with the original unmolested footage.

Comment

I think the new Hammer is hoping to pull in more younger viewers with these releases. Yes, the base will be movie geeks like us who want it the way it's always been but with movies like The Woman In Black hitting it big with the PG-13 crowd, maybe they're hoping there will be some crossover interest in the classic titles?
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Pathetic.

Will be avoiding this release like the plague.

Comment

Isn't the original version included?
                        with the version with new effects an option?
                        "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                        - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Not accoring to the review I linked, no. It's possible that the reviewer didn't mention it though.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Big mistake.

For the record, I approve of the revision if it's properly done, but to deny viewers the original theatrical version right next to it is just plain dumb.
                            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Was just reading about this on Hammer's twitter feed. They do confirm that the blu-ray will not feature the original version (which I agree with Richard is a mistake).

But, I'm reserving judgment until I see for myself, as they point out in one of their posts, they did not go George Lucas on it:

Absolutely not "revisionist" (that would have meant an entirely new tarantula).
                              If, as that implies, they did not replace any of the practical effects but merely improved the optical effects than that is something I'm 100% in favor of. That sounds similar to what Ridley Scott did with the Final Cut of Blade Runner, which I thought was a marvelous example of how subtle use of digital adjustment can be used in restoring classic films.

Who know, maybe they did do a crap job of it, but I'll see for myself before I assume they did...

Comment

Working...
                              X