David Warbeck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Warbeck

One of the premier Euro-Cult personalities who died way too young. A helluva guy, respected the fans, respected the director's he worked with and championed them. Kind of a Kiwi Bruce Campbell.

Warbeck highlites:

The Beyond: One of the great zombie killers despite his marksmanship. But he played it pretty straight and gave his character charm and wit and was a great counterpart to Catriona MacColl.

The Last Hunter: Amazing Namsploitation film that features a plethora of Euro-Cult personalities such as Warbeck, Tisa Farrow, Bobby Rhodes, and Tony King. Best moment: Warbeck and co. get in a firefight after a woman seemingly wants assistance with her newborn, that turns out to be an explosive.

Ark of the Sun God: Warbeck channels Indiana Jones in a fun adventure film. Featuring the greatest car chase since the French Connection.

Tiger Joe: A slightly more PC Last Hunter, and one can see it as a spiritual sequel to the former as it again features Warbeck and King fighting side by side and once again directed by Antonio Margheritti. Fun film, not gory or very exploitative, but overall fun. Also features Annie Bell.

Ratman: Marred by the fact that Warbeck and Janet Agren are unfortunately dubbed and they don't really effect the overall story featuring a killer Rat/Monkey hybrid. But his presence is noted and adds some charm and an actual likable character in a slasher saved by Warbeck and it's inclusion in the realm of Midgetsploitation. Plus the toilet scene.

Did you know:

David Warbeck was on the short list to play James Bond should Roger Moore bail on the franchise. He was payed very well to make himself available for a number of years, hence the period in his career in between Duck You Sucker and his Italo Horror/Action credits.

Warbeck got the financing and was going to star with MacColl in a sequel to the Beyond that would've been shot by either Antonio Margheritti or Michele Soavi. Sadly, this never happened.

RIP David Warbeck 1941-1997
    Alex K.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
    Did you know:

David Warbeck was on the short list to play James Bond should Roger Moore bail on the franchise. He was payed very well to make himself available for a number of years, hence the period in his career in between Duck You Sucker and his Italo Horror/Action credits.
    I did know this and I think he could have been a great Bond. He kind of looks a bit like more maybe?

There's something very likeable about Warbeck, he's got charm and class I guess but I think beyond that he just comes across as friendly and personable and he has a warmth to him that's kind of endearing.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Very likeable guy as you say, he seemed like the type who'd be great fun to have a beer with while he told you stories about Fulci. It's easy to forget he was already around in the early 70s in films like DUCK YOU SUCKER and TWINS OF EVIL.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I was lucky enough to meet David Warbeck at a Eurofest event in Hampstead, London, in the mid nineties. He was a very warm and charming guy.

Comment

Working...
        X