No announcement yet.

Giallo thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went back and revisited Romolo Guerrieri's THE DOUBLE last night, this film would get my vote as the top contender for a BD release of all the M.I.A. gialli in disc format. I'd love to see Arrow or X-Rated or someone make sure this gets seen by more people. It's an outstanding film, much as I like his earlier THE SWEET BODY OF DEBORAH, this film is even better. Like SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS this opens with the lead character incapacitated and then proceeds in flashback (ironically played by Jean Sorel in both films). At times it's similar to the earlier, jet set lifestyle gialli from Lenzi and others though it eventually plays out with a distinctly different twist. Ewa Aulin is in it too, and has some pretty stunning nude scenes. Great cast all around really, with gialli regulars like Silvano Tranquilli and Giacomo Rossi-Stuart also on hand. Insanely catchy lounge score from Trovajoli too. While it's not the typical black-gloved killer giallo, it has enough twists and turns as well as unusually serious problems with its characters.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)
      Overall I found this film to be an excellent experience that I will revisit. The dream sequences are amazing and found the story to be riveting. I love the look of the film. The locations and fashion are very interesting. Stanley Baker's gruff detective is a hoot. My biggest issue with the film is Florinda Bolkan. I was put off by her in a recent first viewing of LAST HOUSE ON BEACH as well. I'm not saying she's a bad actress. I just can't put my finger on why I don't care for her in the lead. I also found the final scene where all is revealed to be anti-climatic. For all of the style this film has, its shocking how flat that scene is handled.
      Jason C
      Last edited by Jason C; 05-25-2016, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I've been slowly getting into gialli beyond the classics by Argento, Fulci and Bava. I just watched "Solange" for the first time and enjoyed it pretty well - especially the melancholy tone of the film and the soundtrack. I've got "Short Night of Glass Dolls" and "Who Saw Her Die?" in the Blue Underground 3-disc set to watch (I hear the other movie, "Bloodstained Shadow," isn't good). What else is worth recommending? Looking for stuff that have a solid mystery. I remember being bored out of my mind with "Youre Vice is a Locked Room" and "Torso," but that was years ago; it might be time to revisit some of the Martino gialli. What's his best?

Comment

Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
          I've been slowly getting into gialli beyond the classics by Argento, Fulci and Bava. I just watched "Solange" for the first time and enjoyed it pretty well - especially the melancholy tone of the film and the soundtrack. I've got "Short Night of Glass Dolls" and "Who Saw Her Die?" in the Blue Underground 3-disc set to watch (I hear the other movie, "Bloodstained Shadow," isn't good). What else is worth recommending? Looking for stuff that have a solid mystery. I remember being bored out of my mind with "Youre Vice is a Locked Room" and "Torso," but that was years ago; it might be time to revisit some of the Martino gialli. What's his best?
          I actually really like Bloodstained Shadow and it has a great Goblin performed soundtrack too. As For Martino, my personal favourites are Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh and All the colours of the Dark (the latter having a pretty awesome Nicolai soundtrack). However if you were bored by You're vice then... well you may not like them or Bloodstained Shadow for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
            I actually really like Bloodstained Shadow and it has a great Goblin performed soundtrack too. As For Martino, my personal favourites are Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh and All the colours of the Dark (the latter having a pretty awesome Nicolai soundtrack). However if you were bored by You're vice then... well you may not like them or Bloodstained Shadow for that matter.
            I'd agree with this. YOUR VICE..., MRS WARDH and ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK are all cut from a similar cloth; disliking one of those doesn't necessarily preclude enjoying the others, but I think it makes it less likely.

BLOODSTAINED SHADOW is pretty good. I rewatched that one for the first time in a decade or more when the 88 Films Blu-ray came out and found it more interesting than I remembered.

SHORT NIGHT OF THE GLASS DOLLS is very good. I like Lado's films very much. I'm really fond of WHO SAW HER DIE?, though I think the climax moves too fast. The atmosphere is great though, and Morricone's score is outstanding.

Ian, may I suggest you take a look at Luigi Bazzoni's THE FIFTH CORD and FOOTPRINTS, and Pupi Avati's THE HOUSE WITH LAUGHING WINDOWS, if you haven't already?
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Watched NIGHT RIPPER (1986). I did not pick up the Blu ray for AGES due to having heard of its mediocrity, but I was pleasantly surprised. Its a great looking film. I was expecting some kind of cheap Lamberto Bava style trash movie but actually a more serious, grown up approach is taken. Its not gory so if that's your thing then give this one a miss, but as a thriller its decent.

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              I actually prefer YOUR VICE to those others as at least there is no George Hilton. Cant stand him! Luigi Pistilli is a much more serious protagonist.

Comment

at least there is no George Hilton. Cant stand him! Luigi Pistilli is a much more serious protagonist.
                Oh I really like George Hilton, but I agree Luigi Pistilli is great.

Comment

George Hilton is the George Clooney of European Cinema, and that charming bastard could still melt panties if he was wearing nothing but plastic bags around town...

Comment

I really enjoyed all three in that BU pack - especially "Glass Dolls," but both "Who Saw Her Die" and "Bloodstained Shadow" were great, too. I also checked out "The Eye in the Labyrinth" and "Autopsy." I thought both were OK. "The House With Laughing Windows" is one of my all-time favorite horror movies - is there any reason to get the DVD by Shameless if I already have the old Image Entertainment US disc?
                    I also picked up "Amsterdamned," "My Dear Killer" and "Frightened Woman."

Comment

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
                      is there any reason to get the DVD by Shameless if I already have the old Image Entertainment US disc?
                      Not really. I haven't seen the Shameless disc but as I recall, it's based on the same presentation as the older Nouveaux Pictures UK DVD release; that contains a presentation of the film that's quite different from Fox/Image restoration. There's a visual comparison here: http://schlock-horror.blogspot.co.uk...er-wanted.html The differences are quite noticeable.

The best presentation, imo, is the DVD release from Fox in Italy: the Image disc was based on the same restoration but IIRC was interlaced, resulting in some noticeable sawtoothing when played on a progressive display. Though PAL, the Fox disc was progressive.
                      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Did anyone get that Black Veil for Lisa Blu-ray? I didn't like that film all that much but I'm kind of thinking of getting that one for a reevaluation.
                        "My mouth is laughing but my mind is not." -Me, I said that.

Comment

• Originally posted by slizwiz View Post
                          Did anyone get that Black Veil for Lisa Blu-ray? I didn't like that film all that much but I'm kind of thinking of getting that one for a reevaluation.
                          I have it. You might wait until the fall if you aren't completely sold. Kino will have a 5 for $50 sale. Or at a minumim you'll get it for around $12.

I enjoyed the film but I'm a mark for Luciana Paluzzi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post

I enjoyed the film but I'm a mark for Luciana Paluzzi.
                            That's a good thing to be!

And thanks for the tip!

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to really like the film and will feel guilty for dissing it in my book.
                            "My mouth is laughing but my mind is not." -Me, I said that.

Comment

• I really liked A Black Veil For Lisa personally. It doesn't have the visceral punch of a lot of the later gialli, but it has its own thing going on. The BD looks great too.

Comment

• The only drag about A BLACK VEIL FOR LISA is that it's the US version and is cut by some 10 minutes or so and has a flashback structure that's not in the Italian cut. It also has a new score - the great Gianfranco Reverberi score is not used. I guess it's the only game in town - that's the same version I had on dvd-r for years - so it's still worth seeing but I hope one day we'll get the longer Italian version with English options.

Olive released LISA on BD by the way.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X