The People Who Own The Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The People Who Own The Dark

Watched this one last night via the new Code Red DVD. Opted for the widescreen film sourced version despite the fact that it's pretty beat up in spots and has some harsh audio anomalies. When I went through a Naschy phase a few years ago when BCI was going full steam ahead with his stuff I never bothered tracking this one down so this was my first time seeing it.

I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. I expected it to be a bit campy, kept waiting for Naschy to take off his shirt and make sweet Naschy love to some buxom Euro-babe but that didn't happen. Instead it took a fairly dark turn. I went into it not knowing very much and had forgotten the whole nuke angle so despite the fact that the disc is labeled as part of the post apocalyptic collection I somehow didn't make the connection until it was mentioned in the film.

At any rate, it gets pretty grim in the last half of the movie. I can see the comparisons to NOTLD that it seems to get a lot as apt. Definitely a different and atypical role for Naschy, the rest of the cast were pretty good too.

I like this wacky art for the movie:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2394-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	362793

Dig the trailer!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oh, also, the use of masks in this was very bizarre and added another level of creepiness to the whole thing.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I really like this one, as I mentioned in my comments in the What Are You Watching thread and you noted, it is that rare one where Naschy doesn't nuzzle up bare-chested to a eurobabe. He's a total bastard in this film. This film actually creeps me out as it progresses, the blind fellow who's sort of the leader of the townspeople has a really evil vibe to him. It's disturbing when the mob tears into the stragglers. It's also disturbing when the two men SPOILERS go up in flames in the basement. Also like seeing spaghetti western veteran villain Alberto de Mendoza as a semi-likeable guy (it's hard to say any of them are particularly likeable after those opening scenes). And that ending! Very downbeat and to top it off it looks like they take quite a beating as they're chucked into the pit.

The CR disc is beat up but I'm glad to have it. I have a decent looking widescreen copy from a tv broadcast too but I imagine I'll be going to the CR disc most of the time.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
        Very downbeat and to top it off it looks like they take quite a beating as they're chucked into the pit.
        We noticed this last night too and commented on it as it was happening. It doesn't look like they used stunt doubles either. They're really being thrown down in there - looks like it would hurt! Parts of it reminded me a little bit of The Crazies at times too.

I was also trying to figure out why the 'lady with the cats eyes' (couldn't place her name last night, figured out it's Nadiuska) looked familiar - turns out she played Conan's mom in Conan The Barbarian
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This looks pretty creepy alright. I just ordered one. Thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

This has long been one of my favourite Naschy flicks. I find it to be a creepy, unsettling film, a little uncharacteristic of Naschy's movies of this period. (Perhaps that's why I enjoy it so much.) I can see the comparisons to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD in terms of the siege concept, but it always reminds me more of I AM LEGEND and, especially, THE OMEGA MAN with its albino cultists.

I've got the Code Red DVD but haven't had chance to watch it yet.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
            X