Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freda's HORRIBLE DR HICHCOCK (Italy, 1962)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by george n View Post
    I would even go so far as saying that it is better than bava's films. It has an incredibly creepy necrophilia storyline running through it. Richard & Ian I have a fan dvd of the italian disc with english language option and subs for the italian track.pm or email me your address's
    Check your PM's, George.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

It's truly one of the great Gothic films of all time, Richard.

Comment

Indeed it is, Koukol.

Bumping this thread.

I wonder what the correct running time of the film should be.

Video Treasures appears to be a legit company that issues licensed transfers of foreign genre titles on DVD and some DVD-R's. Click on their amazon marketplace storefront. Their transfer of this film is perfectly acceptable.

My fansub of the Italian edition never came, so I'm going to buy a boot of it I found on ebay.

How would you like to see a double-feature on the big screen like this today:

Franco's film was the monochrome, so it gets mentioned on the bottom.
        Richard--W
        a straight arrow
        Last edited by Richard--W; 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
          Indeed it is, Koukol.

Bumping this thread.

I wonder what the correct running time of the film should be.
          The Italian DVD (PAL) has a runtime of 83 mins, 43 seconds.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Has anyone seen Lo Spettro de Dr. Hichcock (1963) the sequel? What's the best edition of that? Public domain copies call it The Ghost. I wonder if the Alpha DVD is any good.

Comment

I haven't seen it but I know in addition to the Alpha Video release there's a double feature release that pairs it up with Dead Eyes Of London. According to DVD Drive In it looks decent.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have that double feature, I think it looks pretty good and the co-feature DEAD EYES OF LONDON is a fun Krimi.
                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Maybe I'll just settle for that then.

I just found this Artus DVD in France:

Click image for larger version

Name:	81rW9Y1oXiL._AA1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	342598
                  http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B003...F8&me=&seller=

The price is reasonable:

15.20 EUR = 19.7925 USD

but as is always the case with buying from Italy and France, the exorbitant postage discourages me from buying. Wish I knew somebody in France I could send a payal payment to. Then he could take the disc and cover art out of the boxes and send me the film and cover via fast and cheap airmail. What a savings that would be.
                  Richard--W
                  a straight arrow
                  Last edited by Richard--W; 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    Maybe I'll just settle for that then.

I just found this Artus DVD in France:
                    See here, Richard: http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...l=1#post863451

Originally posted by Dave Hartley
                    My copy showed up - it doesn't appear to be a direct port of the Retromedia DVD since it doesn't have the overprinted copyright notice that Retromedia added to the titles, but it's definitely from the same master. (In a thread at Latarnia its suggested that Artus have some kind of arrangement with Image). Main difference is that unlike the Retromedia disc it's anamorphic. However it seems to be an NTSC to PAL standards conversion. There's a very useful comparison with the Retromedia disc here - the screen caps from the Artus disc on that page show the classic 'combing' effect often seen with standards conversions. I have to say that I can't see those effects myself as I watch the disc - but I'm watching it on a PAL system. Its very likely that there may be visible issues for viewers in NTSC land - the effects of standards conversions are usually most pronounced in the area which has been converted from. That aside it's no better or worse than the Retromedia - definitely not a disc for HD scopohiles but watchable. Shame Artus couldn't source a better version but there you go.

Region coded 1-6 and All Regions. French subtitles are not forced. There's a half hour extra - Alain Petit discussing Freda and the Fantastic but it's not English friendly. If you have the Retromedia disc or if you're in an NTSC area this disc is probably of little interest.
                    ... and here for screengrabs: http://dvdfreak.bloudil.cz/freak.php?p=ghost&dz=0
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Thanks for the links, Paul. I'm reminded now that I read that thread and looked at those captures four or five years ago. I must be stuck inside an episode of the Twilight Zone in which the same road sign keeps popping up in an endless loop.

It's just crazy after all these years none of the specialty labels in the USA have picked up these two Freda films.

Comment

Richard,
                        That Artus is the best looking but it's not English friendly.
                        Stay away from the Alpha and go for the double feature with DEAD EYES even though the picture is slightly squished.

Comment

Just checked the DVDfreak site and I'm surprised the Artus isn't better as I heard it was and their HORRIBLE is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                          X