Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freda's HORRIBLE DR HICHCOCK (Italy, 1962)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freda's HORRIBLE DR HICHCOCK (Italy, 1962)

It's time I got a decent transfer of this masterwork.

I see that The Horrible Dr. Hichcock has been released by Artus Films in France about a month ago, and by Medusa in Italy about four years ago. Is anyone familiar with either DVD?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Richard -- The Italian DVD has a pretty great transfer but is not English friendly. Don't know anything about the French release.

Comment

They're plenty of fan subs out there of the Italian disc. I have one and the print looks immaculate, 10 out of 10.

Comment

It never has been given a decent domestic release, has it?

I actually don't think I've seen this.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You really need to see this one, it's the Italian gothic masterpiece imo. Towers above the rest. I have the fansub but I sure would like to see Severin or someone put this out.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I agree it's as much a masterpiece as Bava's Black Sabbath (1963) and that's saying a lot.
            I know there are fan subs for the European discs but my PC doesn't do that sort of thing.
            I'd buy a clone from someone who can sub it for me.
            There are a couple of public domain editions in region 1 that look like crap.
            The Medusa is very tempting.

Comment

Tried to upload a poster but the system won't let me.

Comment

I would even go so far as saying that it is better than bava's films. It has an incredibly creepy necrophilia storyline running through it. Richard & Ian I have a fan dvd of the italian disc with english language option and subs for the italian track.pm or email me your address's

Comment

Hitchcock is a beautiful film to look at, but Freda, I do not believe, was the equal to Bava in terms of visuals and use of color.

Comment

Originally posted by george n View Post
                    I would even go so far as saying that it is better than bava's films. It has an incredibly creepy necrophilia storyline running through it. Richard & Ian I have a fan dvd of the italian disc with english language option and subs for the italian track.pm or email me your address's
                    Thanks George but I've got one on the way - appreciate the offer though.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
                      Hitchcock is a beautiful film to look at, but Freda, I do not believe, was the equal to Bava in terms of visuals and use of color.
                      But we are not necessarily talking about just visuals and color.I definately agree though,bava is a god to me,but i rate films on my enjoyment of them,and i watch 'horrible dr...' far more often than my bava's. But please dont think I am saying you are wrong, cinema is subjective, and i dont think many would disagree that both bava and freda tower above their contemparies.Its just a shame that freda couldn't manage the consistancy of bava

A bit off topic, but the bava film i rate most highly is 'hatchet for a honeymoon' but that never seems to get much love compared to the others.But thats for another thread i guess.

And while I am at it, do any of you more knowledgable people have any info to share about bava's involvement with the 'the devil's commandment/i vampiri'.I own the gorgeous german anolis dvd but because all the liner notes and extras are in german i cant really draw anything from there. Some sources say freda quit and bava took over,others say bava handled second unit and sfx?
                      george n
                      Last edited by george n; 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I've got an uncut Danish (English dubbed) VHS of this but would love a dvd. What's the French dvd like? Any of you got it?
                        2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by george n View Post
                          But we are not necessarily talking about just visuals and color.I definately agree though,bava is a god to me,but i rate films on my enjoyment of them,and i watch 'horrible dr...' far more often than my bava's. But please dont think I am saying you are wrong, cinema is subjective, and i dont think many would disagree that both bava and freda tower above their contemparies.Its just a shame that freda couldn't manage the consistancy of bava

A bit off topic, but the bava film i rate most highly is 'hatchet for a honeymoon' but that never seems to get much love compared to the others.But thats for another thread i guess.

And while I am at it, do any of you more knowledgable people have any info to share about bava's involvement with the 'the devil's commandment/i vampiri'.I own the gorgeous german anolis dvd but because all the liner notes and extras are in english i cant really draw anything from there. Soe sources say freda quit and bava took over,others say bava handled second unit and sfx?
                          The story I heard was that Freda pretended to be sick during filming so Bava would have to step in take over for him so as to keep the production on schedule.

Comment

Anyone see this up on Amazon?

From the one and only comment:

"Technically, a surprisingly clear DVD transfer by Video Dimensions. The aspect ratio seems to be widescreen. This feature runs for 83 minutes as advertised. Two or three scenes seem to be cut in their original length, so we may have an extended version in the future. Audio is in English and no subtitles are provided. As extras, you will get about 6 trailers of other b-horror movies, including Doctor Butcher M.D."
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              Anyone see this up on Amazon?

From the one and only comment:

"Technically, a surprisingly clear DVD transfer by Video Dimensions. The aspect ratio seems to be widescreen. This feature runs for 83 minutes as advertised. Two or three scenes seem to be cut in their original length, so we may have an extended version in the future. Audio is in English and no subtitles are provided. As extras, you will get about 6 trailers of other b-horror movies, including Doctor Butcher M.D."

That's got to be a bootleg of the fanmade download going around.
                              It's probably a DVD-r

Comment

Working...
                              X