Duccio Tessari's The Bastard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duccio Tessari's The Bastard

Saw that Boulevard Movies has this on pre-order. X-rated Kult is putting it out.

The Bastard (1968) concerns a thief who's betrayed by his brother, crime boss Klaus Kinski, and has the tendons in his right hand cut. After that the movie is about the thief licking his wounds, enjoying some sexual healing, learning to shoot with his left hand, and planning his revenge. -IMDB (Also known as: I bastardi; Der Bastard)

X-Rated Kult 273 is packaged in a large Hardbox casing.

Stars Rita Hayworth, Giuliano Gemma, Klaus Kinski. Listed as widescreen with German and English audio, no other specs listed.

Has anyone seen this? Worth checking out? The Kinski factor got my attention...

Click image for larger version

Name:	the-bastard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	362752
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I haven't seen it but Tessari and Gemma working together usually turn out intriguing films. Add in Kinski and it's a no-brainer for me...
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

If you weren't already convinced...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Been doing some reading on this, I had forgotten it has been available from WAC for a while. I guess the alternate title threw me off. Read some mixed reviews but quite a few say it has the feel of a spaghetti western masquerading as a crime film, which is fine by me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	the cats.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	338959

Comment

Oh weird, I saw that WAC cover online just the other day and never made the connection.

Something about the X-rated packaging always appeals to me though...
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Despite being listed with english audio in some places, the X-rated dvd does not have it. I got this yesterday and checked it, German audio only. The only subtitle option is German, and I couldn't even get those to come on either.

Comment

That sucks, sorry you got duped on this one.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Thanks, I suspect I could get a refund/exchange if I decide to. I may keep it anyway, I love those big cases and I haven't gotten a new X-rated disc in so long. Have to mull it over this weekend...Bummer that I was looking forward to watching it this weekend though.

Comment

Looks great, I've become a fan of Gemma for his spaghetti westerns, which seem underrated outside of Italy where he was a huge star.

Comment

I love Gemma's westerns too. Some people think his sw are old fashioned but I'm a huge fan. RETURN OF RINGO is one of the top 5 ever in my book, and many others of his are exceptional. He has charisma to burn and a really likeable quality. ONE SILVER DOLLAR is another of his I really dig. And he made one of the best late entries, CALIFORNIA.

Comment

I picked up the WAC disc this week...wow I really like this film. With its southwestern US setting, incredibly venomous, backstabbing characters, and boozy middle aged mother Hayworth this could have been written by Jim Thompson. A very neo noir atmosphere. The sets, photography, and score are all top notch. It has late 1960s groove in spades. I have a new favorite score (by Michel Magne), but it doesn't seem to have any kind of a release dammit! Gemma is great and Kinski is the arrogant SOB you expect him to be, Margaret Lee is also memorable - a true noir black widow. I have to say though, there's a third act plot device that you will either find extremely preposterous or, as I did, look at it as God's way of saying these people are too vile to exist. In that both are set in the US and cast with mostly European actors this has a similar feel to MACHINE GUN MCCAIN, though much as I like that film this one is even better.

Comment

I'm going to have to get this too then.

I also love RETURN OF RINGO and CALIFORNIA. Alex Cox praised both of them in his SW book and I agree with him that CALIFORNIA may be one of the finest SWs out there.

Comment

Working...
                        X