Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So are we ever going to see more new stuff? Frustrated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So are we ever going to see more new stuff? Frustrated...

Seems to me that the euro cult pipeline that was giving so generously back in the early noughties has all but dried up. There's the occassional new release like the Girl In Room 2a but it seems like the DVD producers are really scrounging round the bottom of the barrel or else rereleasing films films that have already seen good releases like the Rollin's.

Which is strange as there are a lot of very notable films that never saw release. I was flicking through Immoral Tales the other day which was written before DVD and there's whole directors who were considered notable once upon a time who have been ignored altogether while the DVD producers are simply releasing more and more obscure Franco's. I love Franco but some his films that are getting special edition releases now are possibly unworthy of the effort when there's some great stuff from others that have not yet seen the light of day.

Where's Borowczyk's Dr Jeckyl flick? Lenzi's early Gialli (I love Orgasmo. Very keen to see it again). Robbe Grillet's films? Are the rights holders just not letting these things out?

Seems there's a lack of interest in putting out anything new when you can slap an old transfer on a Blu Ray and sell it all over again which is most of the companies you looked to for interesting releases (Blue Underground etc) seem to be doing.

Looking forward to Plot Of Fear...
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I'll second that wish for the Lenzi/Baker films, as I've said before a boxset of those and possibly SWEET BODY OF DEBORAH (which had an import release but had forced subs) would be swell. There are still some really good gialli left to release, like DEATH OCCURRED LAST NIGHT and I'd love those based-on-fact serial killer gialli IL MOSTRO DI FIRENZE and THE KILLER IS STILL AMONG US to get special editions with possibly docos on the real case. There was also a recent mini-series on Italian tv about this.

Spaghetti westerns have also really slowed down in recent years, aside from Wild East. But there's good news on the horizon as Koch is restarting their spaghetti western dvd line - with the caveat that a lot of the upcoming titles are ones I've seen.

I'm sure part of the problem is the fact that the rights holders want a lot for eurocult stuff and the sad fact is that these days the sales just don't justify the expense.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

There's still plenty of shit that has yet to be legitimately released. Only guess is that the market just isn't there during this 2nd great depression. That or the rights holders are insane and demand huge sums for these movies.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

So many people just torrent things now, I want the real DVDs. I'd love to see a bunch of new old Dietrich surface. I just keep looking for the same few titles I don't have yet. :(
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I'd love to see official releases of The Cynic, The Rat, and The Fist and Rome Armed To The Teeth with some extras, preferably with some commentaries by Milan and Lenzi.

Comment

There are definitely some curious omissions when it comes to English-friendly releases of Euro films. Of those mentioned already, several Alain Robbe Grillet films have been released in Italy and I have a feeling Camera Obscura announced an English-friendly release of Eden and After last year. I think Cult Epic is working on Borowczyk's Dr Jekyll, but there's still no sign of his La Marge. Rollin's Phantasmes would be nice as well. As for Franco, the upcoming Mondo Macabro titles are some of the most interesting in his entire catalogue; shame they're only standard def, though.
            https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

Completely agree, Dom. A few years back was a heyday for DVD releases. There's not much new of interest being released, sadly.

Comment

The god that oversees the English friendly dvd releases of Lenzi films must have heard my prayer. Company called filmART will be releasing The Cynic, The Rat, and The Fist later this year. Language options will be German/English/Italian and there will be a commentary track by CHRISTIAN KESSLER & PELLE FELSCH.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
                  The god that oversees the English friendly dvd releases of Lenzi films must have heard my prayer. Company called filmART will be releasing The Cynic, The Rat, and The Fist later this year. Language options will be German/English/Italian and there will be a commentary track by CHRISTIAN KESSLER & PELLE FELSCH.
                  Have you got any details on this?
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                    Have you got any details on this?
                    Saw this posted on the Lovelockanloaded site. Aside from it being in 2:35.1, the language options, the commentaries, and a 20 page booklet by Lenzi (English translation uncertain atm) that's all the info that's out there.

Comment

So it's an R2 release then I'm assuming? Either way, I'm all over it.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There are also video interviews with Umberto Lenzi and Franco Micalizzi... I had hoped to get them in the same room together and record some sort of commentary but that wasn't going to happen - Umberto seemed okay but Franco was a definite "no".

From what I heard it's hard getting anything out of Umberto Lenzi so it's a minor miracle we came away with so much material...

More info here:

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum...?topic=4570.15

Re: Original question - I'd just say keep a look for labels like Koch, Cinekult, RARO, FilmArt and Camera Obscura. Torrents only become a factor when extra audio/subs are needed, notably for the Cinekult releases which are Italian only. There are labels out there releasing films on DVD that aren't the same old titles we've all got seven different versions of already. They may not be as prolific, but the levels of care and attention for each release have certainly improved.

There's still some steam in the engine!
                        AnthonyB
                        Last edited by AnthonyB; 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyB View Post
                          There are also video interviews with Umberto Lenzi and Franco Micalizzi... I had hoped to get them in the same room together and record some sort of commentary but that wasn't going to happen - Umberto seemed okay but Franco was a definite "no".

From what I heard it's hard getting anything out of Umberto Lenzi so it's a minor miracle we came away with so much material...

More info here:

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum...?topic=4570.15

Re: Original question - I'd just say keep a look for labels like Koch, Cinekult, RARO, FilmArt and Camera Obscura. Torrents only become a factor when extra audio/subs are needed, notably for the Cinekult releases which are Italian only. There are labels out there releasing films on DVD that aren't the same old titles we've all got seven different versions of already. They may not be as prolific, but the levels of care and attention for each release have certainly improved.

There's still some steam in the engine!
                          Great news!

I'm so glad somebody FINALLY sat down with Lenzi and had a decent talk with him about his films, which I think are very underrated, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways Anthony thank you for, what I assume was, your hard work and thank you for taking the time to give a great director a chance to talk about his films.

Comment

Working...
                          X