• Show
Clear All
    Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    VCI Entertainment Announces
    A Bullet for Sandoval on Blu-Ray & DVD

On November 7th, VCI Entertainment releases the brutal western A Bullet for Sandoval for the first time on Blu-ray and Collector's Edition DVD, produced from new 4K scans of the 35mm negatives.

Civil War Corporal John Warner (George Hilton) deserts the Army to be with the woman he loves and raise the child they’re expecting. A series of tragedies unfold, and Warner turns to vengeance against his lover’s father, Don Pedro Sandoval (Ernest Borgnine), who blames Warner for the loss of his daughter.

Spanish director Julio Buchs brings this raw Spaghetti Western, in the vein of A Fistful of Dollars, to vivid life with a truly sinister performance by the legendary Borgnine.

The special features include a commentary by actor/director/writer Alex Cox (Repo Man, Sid and Nancy), an expert on Spaghetti Western films, and the original US theatrical trailer.

The Blu-ray is available for pre-order here:
    https://bit.ly/oldies-3rquqCw

The Collector's Edition DVD is available for pre-order here:
    https://www.oldies.com/product-view/08233Y.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	VCI9098.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	421134

Leave a comment:

• Jason C

• Jason C
    replied
    I'm just happy to be getting spaghetti westerns in a nice package with better than decent transfers. I don't mind them putting random sets together that contain titles I already own but add a few I've never heard of. Arrow has even put some special features on these discs.

I wish Arrow do more of the same with Eurocrime and Pinky Violence.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
    I don't think you can be too cynical about Arrow's motives. They clearly are boxing up lesser know/desirable titles with one they know people want.
    They got bamboozled into buying a package they didn’t really want, so they pass the bamboozle on to the customer!

Leave a comment:

• Derrick King
    Waterfall Puncher

• Derrick King
    replied
    I don't think you can be too cynical about Arrow's motives. They clearly are boxing up lesser know/desirable titles with one they know people want.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    It's debatable whether Wrath of the Wind is even a spaghetti western, but the others are pretty dark. I just find these Arrow spaghetti Western sets a bit random and they hang on one title that they know people will want. I have the same problem with some of VS's box sets. Of course, some may like the discovery element, but I'm more cynical about their motives.

Leave a comment:

• BW Haggar

• BW Haggar
    replied
    Is the verdict not good on the other three films on this set then?

Aside from '..Apocalypse' (which surely could have been worthy of a stand alone SE release, dontha think?), I'm not familiar with any of them.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    Arrow attempting to redefine the meaning of the word classic there. I already have the Fulci, I can wait for a standard release (and then when on sale) for the others.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Coming in December from Arrow.

https://www.arrowfilms.com/savage-gu.../14941922.html

Maniacal outlaws thirsting for blood! Corrupt capitalists profiting from the suffering of the common folk! Desperate people pushed to violent revenge! The Italian western has never been grittier than in this quartet of later-period cult classics, in which the trademark cynicism of the genre escalates into the radical pessimism of the late 1960s / early 1970s world.

In Paolo Bianchini's I Want Him Dead (1968), American actor Craig Hill (The Bloodstained Shadow) stars as an ex-Confederate soldier who vows revenge after his sister is raped and murdered, in so doing setting him on a collision course with a dastardly plot to disrupt peace talks between the North and South. Next, in Edoardo Mulargia's El Puro (1969; a.k.a. The Reward's Yours... The Man's Mine), western icon Robert Woods (My Name is Pecos) gives arguably his greatest performance as a legendary gunfighter forced to emerge from hiding after the bounty hunters on his tail murder the tender-hearted barmaid (Rosalba Neri, Smile Before Death) who offered him a new life.

Then, in Mario Camus' Wrath of the Wind (1970), genre superstar Terence Hill (They Call Me Trinity) shows his darker side as an assassin who finds his conscience when he and his brother (Mario Pardo, Knife of Ice) are hired by a ruthless landholder (Fernando Rey, The French Connection) to kill the leaders of a growing labor movement. Finally, Fabio Testi (What Have You Done to Solange?) and Tomas Milian (Don't Torture a Duckling) star in Lucio Fulci's Four of the Apocalypse (1975), in which a quartet of misfits go from sharing the same jail cell to embarking on a savage odyssey that will lead to torture, rape and cannibalism. Preyed upon by a ruthless bandit, the foursome fight for their lives - until the time comes for revenge.

Four of the Italian western's hardest, cruelest, bloodiest classics erupt from the screen in this feature-packed box set from Arrow Films. Featuring dazzling High Definition restorations and a wealth of brand new bonus materials produced specially for this release, Savage Guns delivers - from both barrels!

Product Features

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all four films
    2K restorations of all four films from the original 35mm camera negatives, with El Puro newly restored by Arrow Films for this release
    Italian and English front and end titles on all four films
    Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks on all four films
    English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
    Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
    Brand new introductions to each film by journalist and critic Fabio Melelli
    Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the films by author and critic Howard Hughes
    Fold-out double-sided poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
    Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeves featuring original artwork and a slipcover featuring newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx

DISC 1 - I WANT HIM DEAD

Brand new audio commentary by critics Adrian J. Smith and David Flint
    The Man Who Hated Violence - brand new interview with director Paolo Bianchini
    Cut and Shot - brand new interview with editor Eugenio Alabiso
    Nico Unchained - archival interview with composer Nico Fidenco
    English theatrical trailer
    Image gallery

DISC 2 - EL PURO

Two versions of the film: the 98-minute cut, presented in Italian and English, and the longer, 108-minute version, assembled from the original camera negative and an archival print and presented in both Italian and a newly created hybrid English/Italian mix*
    Brand new audio commentary by critics Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson
    Brand new interview with actor Robert Woods
    Brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composer, Alessandro Alessandroni, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon

DISC 3 - WRATH OF THE WIND

Alternate, 106-minute Spanish-language version of the film, featuring additional and extended scenes not found in the Italian or English versions
    Brand new audio commentary by author and critic Howard Hughes
    The Days of Wrath - brand new interview with camera operator Roberto D'Ettorre Piazzoli
    They Call It... Red Cemetery! - a short film from 2022 by filmmaker Francisco Lacerda, serving as a love letter to the spaghetti western genre
    Alternate "Revenge of Trinity" opening titles, newly restored for this release
    Image gallery

DISC 4 - FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE

Brand new audio commentary by author and producer Kat Ellinger
    It Takes Four - previously unreleased interview with production manager Roberto Sbarigia
    Brand new, in-depth appreciation of the film by author, critic and Lucio Fulci scholar Stephen Thrower
    Brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composers, Franco Bixio, Fabio Frizzi and Vince Tempera, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon
    Newly restored theatrical trailer
    Image gallery
    * For some scenes and dialogue lines in the long version, the Italian audio is either lost or was never produced. These are presented in Spanish with English subtitles.

Name:	F7MvB44WoAA0Sa7.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	420780

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    VCI announced a Blu-ray release of A Bullet For Sandoval for an 11/7/23 release.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Kino have announced that they have Fistful Of Dynamite in the works for a UHD release later this year.

Leave a comment:

• Zaibatan

• Zaibatan
    replied
    Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
    fuck yes! I'm a sucker for weird and surreal spaghetti-westerns, so matalo! is definitely in my top 15.
    I'm a huge Canevari fan myself so MATALO! hitting BD is cause for much celebration for me. I wonder if we'll ever get an English-friendly release for his EMMANUELLE film or UNA JENA IN CASSAFORTE or DELITTO CARNALE, for that matter!

Leave a comment:

• Randy G

• Randy G
    replied
    TCM is showing Paolo Cavara's Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears staring Anthony Quinn and Franco Nero this month.

Anyone seen it and have comments?

Usually a TCM broadcast indicates a release is on the horizon.

Leave a comment:

• killer must kill again

• killer must kill again
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Coming in July from Arrow.

Blood Money: 4 Classic Westerns LE

• Brand new 2K restorations of all four films from the original 35mm camera negatives by Arrow Films
    • Original Italian and English front and end titles
    • Restored lossless original Italian and English soundtracks
    • English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
    • Brand new introductions to each film by journalist and critic Fabio Melelli
    • Galleries for all four films
    • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Howard Hughes

$10,000 BLOOD MONEY

• Brand new audio commentary by author and film historian Lee Broughton
    • Tears of Django – newly edited featurette with archival interviews with director Romolo Guerrieri and actor Gianni Garko
    • The Producer Who Didn’t Like Western Movies – brand new interview with producer Mino Loy
    • How the West Was Won – brand new interview with screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
    • Theatrical trailer

VENGEANCE IS MINE

• Brand new audio commentary by critics Adrian J. Smith and David Flint
    • Cain and Abel – newly edited featurette with archival interviews with actor Gianni Garko and screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
    • In Conversation with Nora Orlandi – newly edited archival interview with the film’s iconic composer
    • Movie After Movie – brand new interview with producer Mino Loy
    • Theatrical trailer

FIND A PLACE TO DIE

• Brand new audio commentary by author and critic Howard Hughes
    • Sons of Leone – newly edited archival interview with director Giuliano Carnimeo
    • Traditional Figure – brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composer, Gianni Ferrio, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon

DISC 4 – MATALO!

• Brand new audio commentary by critics Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson
    • A Milanese Story – brand new, in-depth interview with filmmaker Davide Pulici, discussing the career of Matalo! director Cesare Canevari
    • Untold Icon – brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composer, Mario Migliardi, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon
    • Theatrical trailer

Name:	343753016_197505319738744_8186871417273821307_n.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	413556
    fuck yes! I'm a sucker for weird and surreal spaghetti-westerns, so matalo! is definitely in my top 15. blood money is very good too (volonte's crazy little brother is the bad guy and it ends with a classic shootout in a rad looking ghost town), the sequel vengeance is mine is not that good though, too much out of place romantic flashbacks IIRC

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim142

• fatboyslim142
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Coming from Wicked Vision later this year.

Name:	343736319_782718809862301_4605299886522794879_n.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	413364
    I wonder if Arrow will upgrade these two or not.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Coming in July from Arrow.

Blood Money: 4 Classic Westerns LE

• Brand new 2K restorations of all four films from the original 35mm camera negatives by Arrow Films
    • Original Italian and English front and end titles
    • Restored lossless original Italian and English soundtracks
    • English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
    • Brand new introductions to each film by journalist and critic Fabio Melelli
    • Galleries for all four films
    • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Howard Hughes

$10,000 BLOOD MONEY

• Brand new audio commentary by author and film historian Lee Broughton
    • Tears of Django – newly edited featurette with archival interviews with director Romolo Guerrieri and actor Gianni Garko
    • The Producer Who Didn’t Like Western Movies – brand new interview with producer Mino Loy
    • How the West Was Won – brand new interview with screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
    • Theatrical trailer

VENGEANCE IS MINE

• Brand new audio commentary by critics Adrian J. Smith and David Flint
    • Cain and Abel – newly edited featurette with archival interviews with actor Gianni Garko and screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
    • In Conversation with Nora Orlandi – newly edited archival interview with the film’s iconic composer
    • Movie After Movie – brand new interview with producer Mino Loy
    • Theatrical trailer

FIND A PLACE TO DIE

• Brand new audio commentary by author and critic Howard Hughes
    • Sons of Leone – newly edited archival interview with director Giuliano Carnimeo
    • Traditional Figure – brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composer, Gianni Ferrio, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon

DISC 4 – MATALO!

• Brand new audio commentary by critics Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson
    • A Milanese Story – brand new, in-depth interview with filmmaker Davide Pulici, discussing the career of Matalo! director Cesare Canevari
    • Untold Icon – brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composer, Mario Migliardi, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon
    • Theatrical trailer

Name:	343753016_197505319738744_8186871417273821307_n.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	413556

Leave a comment:

Working...
X