The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I'm torn on GRAND DUEL since BU is not releasing a BD...I have the Mill Creek which looks nice but I like to support any company that releases sw in fine fashion. I'll probably end up getting this, the film is good enough to merit another trip to the well.
    Yeah - and it does have some new special features. Its enormously frustrating though as the Mill Creek Blu has excellent image but crappy audio. Why couldn't BU do a Blu of this?

Comment

• The BU blu-ray of THE GRAND DUEL has a commentary channel by some journalists. Which the Mill Creek doesn't have.

I expected to find THE TRAMPLERS (1965) from Wild East in my mailbox today, but nope. Did anyone get this?
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
        The BU blu-ray of THE GRAND DUEL has a commentary channel by some journalists. Which the Mill Creek doesn't have.

I expected to find THE TRAMPLERS (1965) from Wild East in my mailbox today, but nope. Did anyone get this?
        I usually order my WE discs from Diabolik, not direct, so I'll get THE TRAMPLERS when they stock it.

I know about the commentary (on GRAND DUEL) but I don't listen to very many of them these days.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• BU's release of Grand Duel is DVD only, it's not a Blu-ray.

I have no idea why Mill Creek put out a Blu-ray with no extras and BU did DVD only... but with some extras. Must have been some sort of weird rights dispute.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• There are the makings of a good western in A MAN CALLED SLEDGE (1970). This is the first time I've watched all the way through without interruptions and in widescreen. There are five or six scenes in this film and the rest seems improvised or cobbled together out of nothing. How much sense does it make for the gold thieves to stop in the middle of being chased and play cards with a posse on their tail. It's more of a montage than a structured card game. When the montage is over everybody is angry. Then there's another montage so that Sledge can get even. Of course the posse is forgotten because the band must fall apart and start killing each other over the gold. There's no reason to, it's just a place to take the story. I wonder how Vic Morrow got to share directing credit with Giorgio Gentili. James Garner tries real hard to be mean. He scowls a lot and treats John Marley badly. I like the opening scene in the snow and the final shootout in the adobe Spanish village. Or maybe I just like the gritty village setting. The film is a mess. The transfer on the Columbia DVD is stretched.

Recommended.
            Richard--W
            a straight arrow
            Last edited by Richard--W; 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              Courtesy of a poster at the SWDB forum, new Spanish Django tie-ins:

http://www.amazon.es/Django-Taciturn..._dp_p_t_1_WTF1

http://www.amazon.es/Django-Bastardo...pd_sim_sbs_d_1

Both claim to have english subs. I'd be interested in what DJANGO THE BASTARD looks like, may have to take a gamble on that soon.
              Just a caution if anyone was thinking of getting these, a member at the SWDB forums took a chance on DJANGO THE BASTARD and despite what it says at Amazon.es, these do NOT have english subs (and no english audio). That's shitty they list wrong info like that.

Comment

There are the makings of a good western in A MAN CALLED SLEDGE (1970). This is the first time I've watched all the way through without interruptions and in widescreen. There are five or six scenes in this film and the rest seems improvised or cobbled together out of nothing. How much sense does it make for the gold thieves to stop in the middle of being chased and play cards with a posse on their tail. It's more of a montage than a structured card game. When the montage is over everybody is angry. Then there's another montage so that Sledge can get even. Of course the posse is forgotten because the band must fall apart and start killing each other over the gold. There's no reason to, it's just a place to take the story. I wonder how Vic Morrow got to share directing credit with Giorgio Gentili. James Garner tries real hard to be mean. He scowls a lot and treats John Marley badly. I like the opening scene in the snow and the final shootout in the adobe Spanish village. Or maybe I just like the gritty village setting. The film is a mess. The transfer on the Columbia DVD is stretched.

Recommended.
                I liked this one a lot, actually. Good movie. And like you say, the village setting was awesome.
                www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

• Watched the Koch BD of NAVAJO JOE last night, I thought it looked fantastic! It's a shame this one has a sort of scruffy reputation (Burt Reynolds has played a large part in this I think, with his constant belittling comments over the years), it's not among Corbucci's best but it's a damn good one all the same imo. And it's shockingly violent for the time, really rubs your face in it too, a scalping right at the start, murder of women and children... This film really gives Aldo Sambrell (or Sanbrell as he's billed here) a chance to show what he was capable of - he said himself it was his best role - too bad he was mostly relegated to second or third thug in the gang in most spaghetti westerns. He has charisma to burn and genuine chops. I'd love to know who dubbed him in this, familiar voice. Another notable person here is Cris Huerta, who would later play many annoying silly characters in lame sw comedies but here he's pretty remarkable as one of Sambrell's gang, shooting down a woman in cold blood. Morricone's bizarre score is a character itself btw, it's not one I listen to a lot outside of the film but it works as a part of it.

Comment

• I'd like NAVAJO JOE better if it were shorter. It just seems to go on forever.

In reply to my inquiry, Diabolik says they will be receiving a new supply of Koch's Westerns Unchained series next week.

Comment

• Reynolds has prooved himself an idiot for not appreciating NJ.
                      Some people just don't get SWs.

Comment

• He gets it alright, all to well, Koukol.

Comment

He gets it alright, all to well, Koukol.

Can you explain?

I read he's embarrassed with it.

Comment

• Reynolds has derided the film so many times. I heard him on a talk show once where he said he worked cheap but they never paid him, and after the film came out his agent had to lower his fee. He said there was a time in his career when he thought he'd never live it down and thought it would be the only film he was remembered for if it was remembered at all. He doesn't think much of the film or of his own performance in it. It did nothing to boost his career.

Objectively, the new transfer makes the film look better than it probably did at the time release. Burt invests more into the film than is on the page, but dramatically it's a fairly one-dimensional piece.

Comment

• "did nothing to boost his career"

Yeah, unlike the brilliant film SMOKEY ANFD THE BANDIT!

My point is he has a lot of other work to be more embarrassed over.

Comment

• ^^ Are you saying SMOKEY ANFD THE BANDIT is bad? I love that film.

Comment

Working...
                                X