No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA NOTTE DEI SERPENTI is so well-known under its English translation NIGHT OF THE SERPENT I wonder why Wild East is calling it NEST OF VIPERS. The Ortolani score was included on this compilation:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/t...Of+The+Serpent

Good luck finding it.
    Richard--W
    a straight arrow
    Last edited by Richard--W; 09-23-2012, 07:04 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Nice! Don't think I've seen THE TRAMPLERS, which is always a bonus when a new release comes along.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• I took a look at WAC's disc of HATE FOR HATE recently. It's quite nice looking, a big improvement on my TCM copy. This one grows on me a little more each time I watch it. No, it's not an unsung classic but it's a nice solid mid-tier spaghetti with a typically charismatic John Ireland performance, a better-than-average one from the usually bland Antonio Sabato, and a rare non-villain role for Fernando Sancho. I like the tragic backstory for Ireland's character, and he and Sabato have a nice chemistry. The disc also includes the trailer, a nice surprise.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I received the Explosive Media Blu-ray release of THE BIG GUNDOWN today, and bloody lovely it is too. It's got the English dub included, and if English is selected via the main menu the film plays the Italian-only scenes with English subtitles by default. The strange piece of music substitution that was present in the old Koch DVD is also absent here, thankfully. In all, this is far and away the best version of this film on the market - imo, of course. Probably my favourite release of the year so far - but then, this is one of my favourite films.

Paul L
          Scholar of Sleaze
          Last edited by Paul L; 10-13-2012, 04:08 PM.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• Thanks for that Paul, this is moving to the top of my want list.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Wild East says the long-overdue Craig Hill double-feature And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave / The Dirty Fifteen shipped yesterday.

Comment

• There's some "proceed with caution" news posted at the SWDB forum concerning those Japanese BDs coming in December. Sundance there posted this:

"Day of Anger and One Silver Dollar are also listed as 1080i. Which could mean they are from OLD masters made for TV screenings. Which wouldn't necessarily mean they are crap but...

Both Djangos are listed as 1080p but wouldn't be surprised if they look the same as the somewhat shitty (actually if I remember correctly Corbucci's Django does look quite nice under the "noise" I think shouldn't be there) BU discs. Who would have the cash to scan these films again and again..."

See post 13 there for the complete post. I'd say it would be wise to wait for some reviews before getting these.

Comment

• Scanning through the latest Wild East double-feature. The Dirty Fifteen (1968) is a dim and dirty transfer. And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (1972) is okay with a careful English dub although the audio is tinny. The latter appears to be the better of the two films. I'll probably watch it first. Craig Hill is a believable western actor who sits easily in a western saddle. Both are widescreen, anamorphic and uncut. I wish Wild East would include the original Italian soundtracks with subtitles as an option for us foreign film enthusiasts, but they never do. Most spaghetti westerns need a really special score to save them. Franceso di Masi scored The Dirty Fifteen and Bruno Nicolai scored And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave .
                  Richard--W
                  a straight arrow
                  Last edited by Richard--W; 10-16-2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Anyone like Merli's A Man Called Blade?

Comment

• MANNAJA? I saw that one for the first time in 2000 or thereabouts, via the Vipco DVD. Wasn't too impressed with it at the time, but really warmed to it when Anchor Bay released their DVD in the 'Spaghetti Western Collection' boxset that appeared in 2002/3 (I think I've got the dates roughly correct). I wouldn't say it's top tier (but then, what 'twilight' Italian Western is?), but it is very enjoyable, with some great set-pieces.

Comment

• I really liked the film, a lot more so than some of the ones made during the genre's heyday. Really wished Merli did some more of these, as I think he showed a real flair for them. Loved the score too.

Comment

• MANNAJA is pretty good but I think the best late-era spaghetti I've seen is CALIFORNIA. Probably down to the fact he made so many crime films and only one western but I have trouble accepting Merli as a cowboy. He looks out of place, much like Humphrey Bogart did in the couple he made. I think he's a better actor than generally given credit for but he's better suited to the urban milieu imo. I'm also not big on Sergio Martino as a western director.

Comment

• Arrow just announced this....

ArrowDrome: Django, Prepare a Coffin
                            DVD - £8.99
                            Cat No: FCD763

Released: 14 Jan 2013

Starring: Terence Hill, Horst Frank and George Eastman
                            Directed by: Ferdinando Baldi
                            Rating: TBC

Overview: Django the drifter returns in this classic Sixties Spaghetti Western from Ferdinando Baldi (Texas Addio, Comin' At Ya!), starring Terence Hill (They Call Me Trinity) as the wandering gunslinger, hired as executioner to a corrupt local politician who is framing innocent men, sending them to hang in an evil scheme to take hold of their land.

But Django has other ideas and, cleverly faking the deaths of the condemned men, he assembles them into a loyal gang who'll help him take down the boss, a man who had a hand in the death of Django's wife years before.

Thrill as Django gets his bloody revenge with a hail of bullets in this classic from a series of B-movie westerns that helped to define a genre. Prepare your coffin now!

ARROWDROME IS A FLEAPIT SELECTED LIBRARY OF CULT FILMS; VIOLENT, HORRIFIC, SLEAZY, EXPLOITATIVE. TO EXPLORE STEP IN TO THE CULT ARENA! EVERY ARROWDROME RELEASE INCLUDES A REVERSIBLE SLEEVE OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND A COLLECTOR'S BOOKLET!

ALSO INCLUDES A COLLECTOR'S BOOKLET BY SPAGHETTI WESTERN EXPERT HOWARD HUGHES!
                            Attached Files
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Maybe the best DJANGO follow-up...killer score too. I have the E-M-S disc though and will have to be persuaded to double dip here.

Comment

Working...
                              X