• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	338674

Speaking Wild East, has anyone checked out the Hunt Powers double feature and if so, is the quality good? I don't think I've seen the Django Sartana movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
      Is BLOOD MONEY the same film as 10,000 BLOOD MONEY, the Garko one? If so, that's a [I]great[I] movie. Epic tragedy with a killer Nora Orlandi score. As for PROVIDENCE, I'm not a fan. Don't care much for spaghetti western comedies in general. If you've ever wanted to see Tomas Milian do Charlie Chaplin though, you'll probably enjoy it.

I've got the new Wild East disc to check out this weekend - REVEREND COLT and VENGEANCE IS A COLT 45 aka SON OF DJANGO. I've seen them both via the Franco Cleef and X-Rated dvd respectively, neither is a classic but they're both decent mid-level entries and Guy Madison, an authentic-looking cowboy imo, stars in both. Gabriele Tinti is in SON OF DJANGO, his only spaghetti. I thought he was good enough to have wished he'd done more.
      No, this Blood Money is a bit different, and directed by Antonio Margheriti and produced by Run Run Shaw. Stars van Cleef and Lo Lieh in an East-Meets-West, Shanghai Joe-esque tale. There are strong comedic elements, but definitely action packed, as well.

Transfer-wise, all of them look pretty damn good (especially for the 5 dollar price tag) and comparable to the Timeless set, with decent audio, as well. Although the set is two discs with four movies a piece, each disc is single layered, and none of the films look pan/scanned or full screen, either, (the widescreen looked fine on my TV, but it might appear a little stretched) so I say start checking your local K-Mart if you need any of these films, and wanna grab 'em cheap! Most of the titles are either in French or German (films are dubbed in English, of course), so I'm thinking these might be taken from foreign PAL discs, perhaps?

As far as Providence goes, Chaplin was my first thought, as well! I'm picky with Spaghetti comedies, as well, but I'd be a sucker if I didn't say I enjoyed some Trinity now and then. Hell, I've even seen Little Rita of the West!

Comment

Originally posted by Scyther View Post
        No, this Blood Money is a bit different, and directed by Antonio Margheriti and produced by Run Run Shaw. Stars van Cleef and Lo Lieh in an East-Meets-West, Shanghai Joe-esque tale. There are strong comedic elements, but definitely action packed, as well.
        So it's The Stranger And The Gunfighter then (same movie, different title). Always had a soft spot for that one.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          So it's The Stranger And The Gunfighter then (same movie, different title). Always had a soft spot for that one.
          Yeah, although it's actually credited here as La Brute Le Colt et Le Karate which makes me believe that Echo Bridge might actually be Video Asia. Either that, or EB bought the rights for the film from VA, because I think they actually did the 'official' DVD release of Blood Money as a 'Shaw Brothers Dynasty Collection,' if I'm not mistaken?

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Money-Le.../dp/B001L2ZSHQ

Comment

I don't think Video Asia have ever officially licensed anything in their history. I could be wrong, but if I were a betting man...

Echo Bridge has definitely done plenty of legit stuff though, they handled all those budget Miramax releases a few months ago. That title has shown up in a few Spaghetti Western bundles though and I'm wondering if it's legitimately public domain or if it's just been released frequently enough that the rights owners have given up.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2889[/ATTACH]

Speaking Wild East, has anyone checked out the Hunt Powers double feature and if so, is the quality good? I don't think I've seen the Django Sartana movie.
              I have it, the quality is fine, the films...not so much. They're both Fidani joints, DEAD MEN DON'T MAKE SHADOWS is considered his best in some circles. His best is still the backwash of a warm Black Label though. Ever wanted to see Fabio Testi make like a block of wood? You'll love DJANGO MEETS SARTANA. There is a good interview with Jack Betts aka Hunt Powers on the disc. Pass this one up unless you're a WE completist (I am).

Thanks for the clarification on BLOOD MONEY, Scyther. I have STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER, not a bad film at all but not one of my favs. As far as sw comedies are concerned, I do have a fondness for a couple George Hilton ones, THE CRAZY BUNCH and A MAN CALLED INVINCIBLE. They're so amazingly goofy it's impossible to hate them. LITTLE RITA is a film I really love, more of a fantasy than straight up comedy. The songs are fantastic too! I was so disappointed that the cd soundtrack doesn't include the vocal versions.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Oh, and Wild East is releasing MASSACRE TIME in the near future. My one gripe with them these days is that they're releasing a lot of films I already have. I wish they would get back to unearthing rarities like PISTOLEROS, THE DIRTY OUTLAWS and DAY OF ANGER.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the double feature, Andrew. I'll pass unless I see it cheap (I seem to have a knack for finding Wild East titles in the used bin at Kims).

I'm with you on Massacre Time, it's already easily available. Unless their release is a huge improvement, I don't need it.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have it, the quality is fine, the films...not so much. They're both Fidani joints, DEAD MEN DON'T MAKE SHADOWS is considered his best in some circles. His best is still the backwash of a warm Black Label though. Ever wanted to see Fabio Testi make like a block of wood? You'll love DJANGO MEETS SARTANA. There is a good interview with Jack Betts aka Hunt Powers on the disc. Pass this one up unless you're a WE completist (I am).

Thanks for the clarification on BLOOD MONEY, Scyther. I have STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER, not a bad film at all but not one of my favs. As far as sw comedies are concerned, I do have a fondness for a couple George Hilton ones, THE CRAZY BUNCH and A MAN CALLED INVINCIBLE. They're so amazingly goofy it's impossible to hate them. LITTLE RITA is a film I really love, more of a fantasy than straight up comedy. The songs are fantastic too! I was so disappointed that the cd soundtrack doesn't include the vocal versions.
                    No problem, man. I really liked Enzo Castellari's comedy western with Antonio Sabato, John Saxon and Frank Wolf (I Came I Saw I Shot) when it comes to comedy westerns, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who dug the songs on Little Rita! I heard that the Robby Poitevin soundtrack CD released by Digitmovies didn't have the vocal scores, and it's indeed a shame! Are they available anywhere, do you know?

Comment

I don't think Video Asia have ever officially licensed anything in their history. I could be wrong, but if I were a betting man...

Echo Bridge has definitely done plenty of legit stuff though, they handled all those budget Miramax releases a few months ago. That title has shown up in a few Spaghetti Western bundles though and I'm wondering if it's legitimately public domain or if it's just been released frequently enough that the rights owners have given up.
                      Haha. I'd likely agree with you, man. I think I must own about fifty plus Video Asia/Mill Creek public domain sets at this point.

Really? I didn't know Blood Money had appeared in other box sets; thought this was the first time, along with Providence. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Scyther View Post
                        No problem, man. I really liked Enzo Castellari's comedy western with Antonio Sabato, John Saxon and Frank Wolf (I Came I Saw I Shot) when it comes to comedy westerns, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who dug the songs on Little Rita! I heard that the Robby Poitevin soundtrack CD released by Digitmovies didn't have the vocal scores, and it's indeed a shame! Are they available anywhere, do you know?
                        I've had I CAME I SAW I SHOT here for a few years and still haven't watched it due to my aversion to sw comedies. Maybe I'll bump it up to the "to watch" stack and give it a shot. Sadly, I don't know of any available version of the score for LITTLE RITA w/the vocals. It has to turn up at some point.

Comment

I've had I CAME I SAW I SHOT here for a few years and still haven't watched it due to my aversion to sw comedies. Maybe I'll bump it up to the "to watch" stack and give it a shot. Sadly, I don't know of any available version of the score for LITTLE RITA w/the vocals. It has to turn up at some point.
                          Yeah, I Came I Saw I Shot is definitely above average. There's actually some gun play, as opposed to the endless slapstick fistfights usually featured in those sorts of spaghetti comedies (although there's plenty of that, as well).

Sure hope those Rita songs turn up at some point. They're probably stuck in copyright hell or something, although I'd still be interested in hearing the score without them if I can find the Digitmovies disc for a decent price.

Comment

Look at what my Spaghetti Western-loving wife did! She even made it into a sticker.
                            http://r-dart.tumblr.com/post/199297...messing-around
                            www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Mill Creek has another Spaghetti Western double feature Blu-ray scheduled for release 5/15/2012.

The Grand Duel and Keoma
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X