No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that Timeless Media set in Barnes & Noble yesterday and though, huh, this is the one that some of the dudes on the board have been talking about. Then I noticed the $40 price tag and put it back. I'll probably tack this on to my next Amazon order. I've got probably half of the movie in the set but the other half I don't and it's they're at least widescreen, it's probably a good deal.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I scored it for $31 through Videomatica, where I work.
      www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

I concur that the Timless Media Group set is worth picking up, especially for cheap (I think I paid $12 for it). Nothing is anamorphic, but other than that the presentations are pretty decent of what I've watched so far.

Oh, and don't order anything from CultCine.com unless you like non-existent customer service.

Comment

Finally arrived today! Let's see.... well, it's kind of odd that on the back it claims everything is "full screen presentation" especially when everything seems to be widescreen.

Haven't had a chance to watch any of the movies yet, but after skipping through a little I can tell already that this was an awesome buy! Despite a boring-as-fuck cover, the transfers look really nice, and the case inside isn't the cheap thing where they put the discs in paper sleeves -- it has, instead, a nice little plastic shelving system in there. This purchase in particular is exactly why I love movie message boards. It wouldn't have occurred to me in 100 years to bother even looking at a set like this, but with the leg work done for me, it's a no brainer to pick this one up. Thanks so much, Andrew!
          www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Update on the May Blue Underground release of Bullet For The General, straight from BU's press release:

"We are pleased to announce that our upcoming Blu-ray release of A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL will now be a 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION!

This definitive Blu-ray includes beautiful new High Definition transfers of both the 115 Min. U.S. Version (containing the U.S. English dub track) and the 118 Min. International Version (containing the Italian language soundtrack with English subtitles, as well as a different English dub track).

In addition to the previously announced Theatrical Trailers, the Extras will now also include “A Bullet For the Director” (Interview featurette with Damiano Damiani), a Poster & Still Gallery, AND a Bonus Disc containing the feature-length documentary, “Gian Maria Volonté: Un Attore Contro”!"
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And the revised cover art:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BulletForTheGeneral_2Disc_BD_keyart4c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	338653
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'd been really getting into this genre over the last year. Really been enjoying Corbucci's stuff, especially the Great Silence, which I think has one of the best endings I've ever seen. Just got Killer Caliber.32 the other day. Only had time to watch the first 10 mins or so, but it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Comment

So I've started watching some of the movies in the aforementioned Timeless Media Spaghetti box. Here's what I thought of the first two:

The Rope and the Colt (aka Cemetary without Crosses. 1969)
                  Dario Argento co-wrote this splendid film, which is an Italian/French co-production that is depressing and nihilistic as fuck. I think the beginning is where they swiped the beginning for Hannie Caulder, but then it totally changes after that. Loved it. Co-writer, director and star Robert Hossein really knew what he was doing here, and claims that Leone stepped in and directed a few scenes on the sly. The movie is dedicated to Sergio. Great use of a creepy ghost town set in the middle of a barren moon-like landscape, and a pretty freaky off-screen rape sequence that sticks in your gut.

Forgotten Pistolero (1969)
                  A little slow to get going and very light on action, but the last two thirds were magnificent. It's like Shakespearian tragedy, with the whole family drama thing going on: "Mama killed our father! We're going to get revenge on that whore!" etc etc. This has, what may well be the finest score to heard in the genre outside of a Leone production. For serious. Oh, and the girl who co-starred as the pissed-off daughter, Pilar Martellanza, is the most beautiful creature I have seen all week. Drop dead gorgeous.

If the other 18 movies in this set hold up to this high standard, this could well be the smartest $30 I've ever spent on dvds.
                  Robin Bougie
                  Last edited by Robin Bougie; 03-19-2012, 01:24 AM.
                  www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Big Spaghetti fan myself, and many great films have already been mentioned in this thread. I also own the Timeless box set, and was similarly pleased with the quality and selection! Like many of us, I own more than my fair share of public domain and multi film sets (whether Spaghetti, Poliziotteschi, or what have you) and generally can't complain about the quality and quantity versus price aspect! In fact, was pretty pleased with my box set viewing of Viva Django (directed by Baldi, starring Terrence Hill) last night.

Has anyone seen this little gem 'round? Found it in a 5 dollar bin at a K Mart yesterday; from the same company who recently released Lexx Season One.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/details.cfm...i-western-pack

Comment

Originally posted by Scyther View Post
                      Has anyone seen this little gem 'round? Found it in a 5 dollar bin at a K Mart yesterday; from the same company who recently released Lexx Season One.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/details.cfm...i-western-pack
                      What are the movies included in this set? The picture at DVD Planet is too small to make them out and they're not listed in the description that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Starry View Post
                        What are the movies included in this set? The picture at DVD Planet is too small to make them out and they're not listed in the description that I can see.
                        Blood Money
                        Life Is Tough, Eh Providence?
                        Buddy Goes West
                        Sartana in the Valley of Death
                        Wanted
                        Price of Power
                        Bounty Killer
                        Sundance and the Kid.

Picked up the set for Blood Money and Life Is Tough, Eh Providence?

Comment

Picked up the set for Blood Money and Life Is Tough, Eh Providence?
                          Are they worth getting? I don't think those have shown up in the other collections so far (at least not that I know of).
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            Are they worth getting? I don't think those have shown up in the other collections so far (at least not that I know of).
                            My sentiments exactly as to picking up the set. Will skim through the transfers tonight and let you know how they are! For 5 bucks, it was a no brainer; Blood Money was already on my Amazon wish list anyway! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Bougie View Post
                              So I've started watching some of the movies in the aforementioned Timeless Media Spaghetti box. Here's what I thought of the first two:

The Rope and the Colt (aka Cemetary without Crosses. 1969)
                              Dario Argento co-wrote this splendid film, which is an Italian/French co-production that is depressing and nihilistic as fuck. I think the beginning is where they swiped the beginning for Hannie Caulder, but then it totally changes after that. Loved it. Co-writer, director and star Robert Hossein really knew what he was doing here, and claims that Leone stepped in and directed a few scenes on the sly. The movie is dedicated to Sergio. Great use of a creepy ghost town set in the middle of a barren moon-like landscape, and a pretty freaky off-screen rape sequence that sticks in your gut.

Forgotten Pistolero (1969)
                              A little slow to get going and very light on action, but the last two thirds were magnificent. It's like Shakespearian tragedy, with the whole family drama thing going on: "Mama killed our father! We're going to get revenge on that whore!" etc etc. This has, what may well be the finest score to heard in the genre outside of a Leone production. For serious. Oh, and the girl who co-starred as the pissed-off daughter, Pilar Martellanza, is the most beautiful creature I have seen all week. Drop dead gorgeous.

If the other 18 movies in this set hold up to this high standard, this could well be the smartest $30 I've ever spent on dvds.
                              Glad to hear you're enjoying the films, Robin! Man, I totally agree about the score to FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO, it's one of my favs too. Robert Hossein is interviewed on the beautifully packaged import of CEMETERY and he claims that Argento had nothing to do with the film. Also, he states that Leone only directed the big dinner scene where everyone is sitting around a large table. Anyway, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest as you work through the set!
                              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

My sentiments exactly as to picking up the set. Will skim through the transfers tonight and let you know how they are! For 5 bucks, it was a no brainer; Blood Money was already on my Amazon wish list anyway! :-)
                                Is BLOOD MONEY the same film as 10,000 BLOOD MONEY, the Garko one? If so, that's a [I]great[I] movie. Epic tragedy with a killer Nora Orlandi score. As for PROVIDENCE, I'm not a fan. Don't care much for spaghetti western comedies in general. If you've ever wanted to see Tomas Milian do Charlie Chaplin though, you'll probably enjoy it.

I've got the new Wild East disc to check out this weekend - REVEREND COLT and VENGEANCE IS A COLT 45 aka SON OF DJANGO. I've seen them both via the Franco Cleef and X-Rated dvd respectively, neither is a classic but they're both decent mid-level entries and Guy Madison, an authentic-looking cowboy imo, stars in both. Gabriele Tinti is in SON OF DJANGO, his only spaghetti. I thought he was good enough to have wished he'd done more.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X