The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robin Bougie View Post
    Oh man, those are two I haven't seen. I'll add them to my want list.
    Let me check my collection - may be able to help you, Robin! PM me if you're interested.

Comment

Coming from Mill Creek 1/10/2012:

Fistful of Bullets - 16 Spaghetti Western Films
      Sixteen specially selected classic Western films starring Lee Van Cleef, Richard Harrison, Jack Palance, Klaus Kinski and many more!
      · 4 DVDs
      · $9.98 MSRP
      o Apache Blood, Between God, the Devil and a Winchester, Beyond the Law, Death Rides a Horse, The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe, Find a Place to Die, Fistful of Lead, God's Gun, Grand Duel, Gunfight at Red Sand, It Can Be Done Amigo, Johnny Yuma, Sundance and the Kid, This Man Can't Die, Trinity and Sartana, Twice a Judas, Death Rides a Horse

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I received the Timeless Media Group "Best of Spaghetti Westerns" box set recently and started watching the first movie, "No Room to Die" (aka "Una Lunga Fila Di Croci"), yesterday. The picture and sound are excellent -- much better than I would normally expect from a budget box set. Pretty cool movie too, featuring Anthony Steffen and William Berger as a pair of bounty hunters tracking down a ring of illegal immigrant smugglers. Lots of action and Berger uses this kick ass multi-barrelled rifle contraption...

Click image for larger version

Name:	noroom_01b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	338341

The only downside is that the films are non-anamorphic. I was hoping to watch these on my portable DVD player during my lunch breaks at work, but the player doesn't zoom properly so the image looks pretty small on the 7" screen. I'll finish this first film, but I might wait to watch the rest on my home TV (61" DLP) instead.

Comment

To follow up on my previous post, I finally figured out how to properly zoom a non-anamorphic image on my portable DVD player (had to get my Dorado Films' "Dick Malloy Agent 077" discs to display properly at 2.35:1 instead of squeezed to 1.78:1), so now that I can watch these without the picture being so small I'll continue with the Timeless Media Group spaghetti western movies on my lunch breaks.

In other SW news, I took the opportunity to watch "Death Rides A Horse" (aka "Da Uomo A Uomo" -- a much more fitting title I think) last night. Excellent revenge western; I can see now why it has such a sterling reputation. The Wild East DVD video quality is top notch and highly recommended for anyone who doesn't already have this in their collection. I'll likely follow this up by watching Giulio Petroni's "A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof" (included in the TMG box set) and tracking down a copy of "Tepepa" as well.

Comment

To follow up on my last post, I watched "A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof" (aka "...E Per Tetto Un Cielo Di Stelle") recently. Decent enough, but not nearly as good as Petroni's previous "Death Rides A Horse". The 'feel' of the movie is a bit strange -- co-stars Giuliano Gemma and Mario Adorf bumble their way through a variety of goofy money-making schemes (including a mermaid side-show attraction), but there is a serious undertone in the background as well. I had been listening to the Ennio Morricone soundtrack before watching and didn't care for it too much, but the music works better in the context of the film and the main theme is good regardless. Once again the video and audio presentation in the Timeless Media Group box set is very good, albeit non-anamorphic. Certainly not an essential SW film then, but a worthwhile pick up as part of the set nevertheless.

Now to continue on with my Giulio Petroni viewing by finding a copy of "Tepapa"; which leads to another bit of information that I wanted to post. I recently ordered three dvd-r's through cultcine.com. I placed the order in early December and received the movies three weeks later. So far so good, except that the padded mailer the DVD cases had been packed in looked like it had been handled by the Samsonite Gorilla. The cases were crushed and broken, and the discs loose in the cases and severely scratched. I've sent three e-mails to the seller hoping to get replacements, but so far no response. The guy's got a great selection of spaghetti westerns as well as a few other odds and ends, but they generally ain't cheap and with the lack of customer service I would at this time have to recommend everyone avoid this website.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Dave, I'd actually been browsing that site the other day.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Starry View Post
                To follow up on my last post, I watched "A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof" (aka "...E Per Tetto Un Cielo Di Stelle") recently. Decent enough, but not nearly as good as Petroni's previous "Death Rides A Horse". The 'feel' of the movie is a bit strange -- co-stars Giuliano Gemma and Mario Adorf bumble their way through a variety of goofy money-making schemes (including a mermaid side-show attraction), but there is a serious undertone in the background as well. I had been listening to the Ennio Morricone soundtrack before watching and didn't care for it too much, but the music works better in the context of the film and the main theme is good regardless. Once again the video and audio presentation in the Timeless Media Group box set is very good, albeit non-anamorphic. Certainly not an essential SW film then, but a worthwhile pick up as part of the set nevertheless.

Now to continue on with my Giulio Petroni viewing by finding a copy of "Tepapa"; which leads to another bit of information that I wanted to post. I recently ordered three dvd-r's through cultcine.com. I placed the order in early December and received the movies three weeks later. So far so good, except that the padded mailer the DVD cases had been packed in looked like it had been handled by the Samsonite Gorilla. The cases were crushed and broken, and the discs loose in the cases and severely scratched. I've sent three e-mails to the seller hoping to get replacements, but so far no response. The guy's got a great selection of spaghetti westerns as well as a few other odds and ends, but they generally ain't cheap and with the lack of customer service I would at this time have to recommend everyone avoid this website.
                Unfortunate about cultcine...they do have some good stuff.

Let us know how this pans out, Dave. It's always good to know who's reputable to deal with and who's not.

Speaking of that, who else is good to deal with nowadays, Videoscreams aside? They've been great all the times I've dealt with them.

Comment

According to a post on Blu-ray.com both A Bullet For The General and Django... Kill are coming to Blu-ray from Blue Underground in May and June of this year. There are others I'd rather see hit the format first but this is a step in the right direction.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Actually these are my two favourite SW that BU put out, and probably up there as my favourite SW period so I'm totally excited!

Comment

Going back to the first page of this thread, here's 10 non-Leones I go back to constantly:

DEAD MEN RIDE
                        NIGHT OF THE SERPENT
                        THE RETURN OF RINGO
                        THE RUTHLESS FOUR
                        CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES
                        TASTE OF DEATH
                        BANDIDOS
                        THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO
                        RINGO: THE FACE OF REVENGE
                        I'LL SELL MY SKIN DEARLY
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Woah, I have not see any of those. What is going on here? I gotta get in on these shitz
                          www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

While it may not be the optimal way, you can knock off several of those films by getting the budget set The Best Of Spaghetti Westerns In The Tradition Of The Good The Bad and The Ugly from Timeless Media. They are all letterboxed and while I have read that some are cut, I didn't notice anything essential missing from the other, more expensive import versions or fansubbed copies I have. This set has CEMETERY W/O CROSSES (as ROPE AND THE COLT), THE RETURN OF RINGO, RINGO: FACE OF REVENGE, BANDIDOS, and FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO...along with some other really good films like SEVEN DOLLARS ON THE RED, NO ROOM TO DIE, 10,000 DOLLARS FOR A MASSACRE, etc. Only one film in the set is fullscreen - RETURN OF SHANGHAI JOE.
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

BU just uploaded this to youtube:

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                                While it may not be the optimal way, you can knock off several of those films by getting the budget set The Best Of Spaghetti Westerns In The Tradition Of The Good The Bad and The Ugly from Timeless Media. They are all letterboxed and while I have read that some are cut, I didn't notice anything essential missing from the other, more expensive import versions or fansubbed copies I have.
                                Thanks for the tip. Just ordered it.
                                www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Working...
                                X