The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
    I got but haven't watched the German BD / DVD of "Duel in the Eclipse." I know it apparently doesn't have English options (Why? There's an English version up on Youtube!), but I expect I can put the 'ole German minor to use and then watch the blurry English Youtube version.
    Its annoying. Hopefully Arrow will pick it up for a release.

Comment

• Anyone have an opinion on BAD MAN'S RIVER?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
        Anyone have an opinion on BAD MAN'S RIVER?
        Its alright, if treated like a goofy, screwball comedy. I quite enjoyed it although a lot of people would probably disagree, I don't think its that bad.

Comment

• Wild East release of May God Forgive You / Massacre at Canyon Grande now in at Diabolik.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/...d-Forgive-You-[sl]-Massacre-at-Canyon-Grande-%28Wild-East%29-%28NTSC-All-Region%29.html#

Click image for larger version

Name:	7f566479955183d750b4f94af3594beb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	350494
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• A Gun For 100 Graves (Umberto Lenzi, 1968) - AKA Una pistola per cento bare/A Pistol for 100 Coffins. Top of the line stuff right here. Perhaps not the most revolutionary in terms of set-up (Peter Lee Lawrence sets out for revenge against a gang of bandits responsible for his parents death) but its Lenzi's approach that makes it such a curious title in the realm of westerns all'Italiana. Lenzi wastes no time getting to the revenge, with the first 20 minutes or so being almost stream-of-consciousness like the way PLL randomly goes from scene to scene knocking off 3 out of his 4 intended targets (not a spoiler) before taking a breather and establishing a new story to eventually connect with the revenge angle. Then it becomes a horror movie of sorts for a hot minute when out of the fucking blue a group of lunatics terrorize a town after escaping from the local jail!

There's two things that are most intriguing about this film. First is Lenzi's attitude towards religion, with Lawrence's character being a Jehovah's Witness. When the film starts he's a Civil War solider sentenced to hard labor after refusing to fight because it goes against his religious beliefs, then soon has no problem killing for vengeance but hilariously refuses to drink alcohol because of his faith Whether or not Lenzi intended this to be a critique on religious hypocrisy I've no idea but its interesting nonetheless.

The other thing that really stood out was that this came a year before Lenzi entered the thriller game and there are a number of giallo-esque plot twists that unfold. I can't help but wonder if Lenzi was testing out his ability in the twist department. Whatever the case may be, they work.

And it has one of the best western themes in the genre:

Tom Clark
            Last edited by Tom Clark; 05-15-2016, 10:09 AM.
            LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• Great trailer and theme but horrible film , IMO

Comment

• I bought Koch's Blu-ray release of IL MERCENARIO this week. Not watched the whole thing but it's a solid presentation, as would probably be expected, and a noticeable improvement over their already pleasing DVD release from a few years back. What I did notice whilst flicking through the picture was some noticeable shifts in image quality, which perhaps suggests that the presentation is based on a composite of some sort - I don't remember noticing this when I watched the DVD, but perhaps it was less noticeable in SD.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• L'ira di Dio (aka Wrath of God) (1968)
                  Starring: Brett Halsey, Fernando Sancho
                  Director: Alberto Cardone

My favorite westerns are the revenge tales. I don't need intricate plots, deep meanings or much dialogue. Give me a mysterious stranger with a quick draw and I'm easy to please. Unfortunately WRATH OF GOD has too many glaring faults to be considered worthwhile. The music and the cast are decent enough but they can't overcome some of the biggest logic gaps I've seen in a film. After being roughed up, his wife murdered and life savings stolen by 7 bandits, or hero sets out for revenge. During the revenge quest none of these bandits recognize the hero despite no change in his appearance (other than a pancho). Later he'll be placed in a jail where the key is hanging just two foot outside his cell. Rather than reaching for the key he chooses to hang from the ceiling and hook it with his belt. My favorite misstep was how our hero seemed to teleport at least 3 times just ahead of villain he was tailing. If the tone of the film had been a bit breezier these sins may have been forgivable but L'IRA DI DIO is deadly serious. Worst of all, the big twist at the end is incredibly stupid and was telegraphed in the opening minutes. With just a little bit of work WRATH OF GOD could have been decent.

Comment

• Kino just posted this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	14184339_1149215391802033_2034255770006429385_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	351141

"Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!The Unholy Four (1970) (Ciakmull - L'uomo della vendetta) - Starring Leonard Mann, Woody Strode, Pietro Martellanza (Peter Martell), George Eastman (Luca Montefiori) and Helmuth Schneider - Music by Riz Ortolani - Directed by Enzo Barboni (E.B. Clucher)."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Kino just posted this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16243[/ATTACH]

"Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!The Unholy Four (1970) (Ciakmull - L'uomo della vendetta) - Starring Leonard Mann, Woody Strode, Pietro Martellanza (Peter Martell), George Eastman (Luca Montefiori) and Helmuth Schneider - Music by Riz Ortolani - Directed by Enzo Barboni (E.B. Clucher)."

Rad! Dig this one.

Comment

• I hope that's not the print going to BD.

btw~was that Wolfman Jack?

Comment

• "And it has one of the best western themes in the genre"

Love it!
                          haven't seen this one yet
                          I'll have to see if I have it on a drive.

Comment

• ABKCO Films will release Blindman on DVD and digital download on November 4th.
                            Sadly no Blu-Ray but the digital version will be available in HD as well.

HD mastered from the original 35mm Negative
                            5.1 Sountrack
                            2:35 Techniscope
                            Running Time 1 hr 45 min

The DVD will be a barebones release as it will have only English audio track and no extras. Region 1.

The digital version will be available at iTunes and Amazon.

The film will also have a couple of theatrical showings very soon:
                            IFC CENTER NYC OCT 7 & 8 MIDNIGHT SCREENING
                            THE CASTRO THEATER SAN FRANSICO OCTOBER 21 (Double feature with El Topo)

Comment

• I hope that doesn't hurt the chances of a Blu-ray release.

Comment

• Not doing a blu in this day and age makes NO sense. :down: It's a great western that really should have one. Like yesterday.
                                https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

Working...
                                X