No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You reminded me I need to rewatch The Brute and the Beast, especially now that I have the Wild East DVD. I also remember really liking Four of the Apocalypse, but it's been years. Death Rides a Horse is another really good intro, IMO.

Comment

• My son watched his first Sergio Leone film this weekend. My favorite western, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE. Thankfully he loved it. I was reminded how different his cinematic journey has been in relation to mine. He spent a lot of time pointing out all of the actors he recognized from other Spaghetti Westerns. He's seen nearly 30 while it took me 35 years before I would see my 4th. My son was baffled that Klaus Kinski didn't play a major role. He kept saying "remember when he did this...", and would recount scenes from Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead and God Said to Cain. Not sure what he saw that had him telling me all about "Kill Them All and Come Back Alone" but it sounds like that is one of his favorites (mine too). Watching it with my son brought to my attention how much comedy is in the film. He really got a kick out of the half shaven face of Cavenaugh's brother and Lee Van Cleef lighting a match on Kinski. My son survived a 2 hour film and now I'm wondering if he's got the patience for ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

I'm listening to Christopher Frayling's commentary. Most of my life I never understood what it was that made Leone's first three films stand out. I'd never heard the term Spaghetti western. They starred Clint Eastwood so I just assumed it was made just like all the westerns I watched. But I always knew those three films were far more entertaining than any of the other westerns I was watching. So it's fascinating to hear Frayling point out all the ways FAFDM is different than American counterparts and in some cases why. His commentary tracks are a treat.

Comment

• Your son watched almost 30 spaghetti westerns before seeing a single Leone film? Wow. I've always assumed that the Dollars Trilogy was mandatory introductory viewing.

Comment

• BLINDMAN would be a great choice for Arrow imo
          So would the STRANGER series.

Other great classics would be THE GREAT SILENCE, AND GOD SAID TO CAIN and DEATH RIDES A HORSE.

I personally would love KILL THE WICKEDS far more than MATALO!
          It's easily in my top ten.
          If I'm not mistaken I believe Bava designed the derelict saloon.

Comment

• On the FAFDM Christopher Frayling commentary around 1:18 he mentions a glut of FISTFUL OF DOLLARS clones. One in particular was receiving financing weekly based on dailys and rushes. The money ran out right as they were going to shoot the grand finale. The American actor left the country so the Director grabbed the janitor to play the hero's father who rides into the Indian Reservation and tells the Chief "My son couldn't make it so he sent me". Has anyone seen this film?

Comment

• Originally posted by Koukol View Post
              BLINDMAN would be a great choice for Arrow imo
              So would the STRANGER series.

Other great classics would be THE GREAT SILENCE, AND GOD SAID TO CAIN and DEATH RIDES A HORSE.

I personally would love KILL THE WICKEDS far more than MATALO!
              It's easily in my top ten.
              If I'm not mistaken I believe Bava designed the derelict saloon.
              Seconded on hoping that all of these get an Arrow BD treatment. I haven't watched Kill the Wicked yet, but I have it on the Koch Media "Italo Western Encyclopedia Vol. 2" box set (with California and a couple others). I can't believe the Great Silence hasn't had a (good) BD yet, honestly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                On the FAFDM Christopher Frayling commentary around 1:18 he mentions a glut of FISTFUL OF DOLLARS clones. One in particular was receiving financing weekly based on dailys and rushes. The money ran out right as they were going to shoot the grand finale. The American actor left the country so the Director grabbed the janitor to play the hero's father who rides into the Indian Reservation and tells the Chief "My son couldn't make it so he sent me". Has anyone seen this film?
                Seriously?
                LOL
                I gotta see it. :)

Comment

• From the SWDb forum - Shameless (but funny) coattail ride here from Koch - these are the same films as their earlier Western Unchained set and individual releases except it substitutes QUIEN SABE for YANKEE.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                    From the SWDb forum - Shameless (but funny) coattail ride here from Koch - these are the same films as their earlier Western Unchained set and individual releases except it substitutes QUIEN SABE for YANKEE.
                    Cool, but I wish it was stuff I didn't already have. I don't have Sugar Colt or Death Doesn't Count Dollars yet, though.
                    I'm thinking of picking up the "And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave" double feature DVD next.
                    IanIcon
                    Last edited by IanIcon; 03-11-2016, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
                      Cool, but I wish it was stuff I didn't already have. I don't have Sugar Colt or Death Doesn't Count Dollars yet, though.
                      I'm thinking of picking up the "And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave" double feature DVD next.
                      That's a very solid double feature - both CROWS and THE DIRTY FIFTEEN are good mid-tier spaghettis (and CROWS has a fantastic Nicolai score). I absolutely love SUGAR COLT, a one-of-a-kind western with a great cast (including Soledad Miranda). I just watched that again last month. DEATH DOES NOT COUNT THE DOLLARS is okay, a rare western from Riccardo Freda. Not bad but not all that memorable either in my opinion. Doesn't help that Mark Damon is the lead either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                        That's a very solid double feature - both CROWS and THE DIRTY FIFTEEN are good mid-tier spaghettis (and CROWS has a fantastic Nicolai score). I absolutely love SUGAR COLT, a one-of-a-kind western with a great cast (including Soledad Miranda). I just watched that again last month. DEATH DOES NOT COUNT THE DOLLARS is okay, a rare western from Riccardo Freda. Not bad but not all that memorable either in my opinion. Doesn't help that Mark Damon is the lead either.
                        Is Sugar Colt a jokey one? That impression is what has kept me from buying it so far.

Comment

Is Sugar Colt a jokey one? That impression is what has kept me from buying it so far.
                          Yeah its not a grim and gritty one

Comment

While it does have some lighthearted moments, it also has quite a bit of serious business. It's never an outright comedy. The central plot of a kidnapped army troupe is played strictly serious and there is quite a bit of gunplay. I think it blends the two elements very well. It's sort of a secret agent story. I think it's really unique and well worth watching.

Comment

• Next release from Wild East is "May God Forgiven You...I Won't" and "Massacre at Grand Canyon" double:

https://www.wildeast.net/coming-soon...yon-p-251.html

I've wanted to see "May God Forgive You..." for a long time, and I think this is the first DVD release that's not all Italian. "Massacre at Grand Canyon" looks to be Corbucci's first, so probably interesting, although it's 1963 which doesn't make me too optimistic.

Comment

• I got but haven't watched the German BD / DVD of "Duel in the Eclipse." I know it apparently doesn't have English options (Why? There's an English version up on Youtube!), but I expect I can put the 'ole German minor to use and then watch the blurry English Youtube version.

Comment

Working...
                                X