No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having just watched Companeros for the first time in many years I was pleasantly surprised at how great and entertaining it still is. Franco Nero & Tomas Milian in a film by Sergio Corbucci with music by Ennio Morricone. It would've been hard to screw that one up. Of many great moments I think my favorite is when Nero appears to be leaving at the end, see the soldiers about to attack and yells out "Companeros!!!!" as he charges back.

Now, I wish Blue Underground (or someone else) would give A Professional Gun/Mercenary a deluxe issue.
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

• I've often found the trailer for CUT-THROATS NINE (1972) to be off-putting. I doubt I ever would have given it a spin had the connection to Tarantino's HATEFUL EIGHT not been mentioned . To my surprise, it's one the most gripping non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns I've seen. It's filled with nasty characters, tense moments, and unexpected twists. I was floored by the twists. The setting and cinematography are amazing. The filmmakers somehow made a snowy mountain feel amazingly claustrophobic. There was no weak link among the actors either. You could feel their hate and desperation. Not only did everyone want to kill eachother but it felt like they all were all going to die from the elements at any moment. The film does stall out a bit in the final third but the finale is very fitting. I desperately hope Arrow gets their hands on this one. Code Red's DVD is watchable.

Comment

• Has there ever been an English sub or dub release of Johnny Hamlet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
          Has there ever been an English sub or dub release of Johnny Hamlet?
          Yep, the Koch release had English subs.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
            Has there ever been an English sub or dub release of Johnny Hamlet?
            WILD EAST have put it out in English dub (titled THE WILD AND THE DIRTY) as a double feature with BASTARDS GO KILL CHACO

Comment

• JOHNNY HAMLET's soundtrack is fantastic. It's easily in my top 3 or 4 of all time.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Watching CLUMSY HANDS aka MANOS TORPES (1970) for the first time in several years I was reminded how cool this unusual western is. It's one of the earlier spaghettis to add features from other genres - Peter Lee Lawrence learns to be a deadly gunslinger under the tutoring of an elderly Asian man. He's left to die in the desert after being nearly whipped to death for marrying his boss's daughter. It's a dark film too, his wife, thinking he's dead, ends up working as a prostitute. There are also a couple of quasi-horror scenes as well, like when an outlaw gang enters a town populated only by plague victims who drag themselves towards the gang like zombies. The cast is full of genre regulars - Aldo Sambrell, Alberto de Mendoza, Frank Brana, and Lorenzo Robledo among others. Rafael Romero Marchent's direction isn't particularly stylish but gets the job done. I don't mean to oversell this, it's no lost classic but it is a fine mid level entry with plenty of offbeat touches and very entertaining. I'd love to see Arrow do this one up right.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                  WILD EAST have put it out in English dub (titled THE WILD AND THE DIRTY) as a double feature with BASTARDS GO KILL CHACO
                  Aha! That's a Wild East disc I don't have yet!
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                    To my knowledge that's Wild East's only release this year. Anyone know if they are done for the foreseeable future?

Comment

• They have A MAN CALLED GRINGO / THE LAST TOMAHAWK up for pre-order, with GARRINGO / TWO CROSSES AT DANGER PASS listed as "coming soon"..

https://www.wildeast.net/coming-soon-c-15/

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                        Me neither. Possibly because I find WE possibly the least exciting company currently doing physical releases ^_^
                        I will pick it up eventually, just like all their releases, but I just wont be falling over myself to do so

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                          Watching CLUMSY HANDS aka MANOS TORPES (1970) for the first time in several years I was reminded how cool this unusual western is. It's one of the earlier spaghettis to add features from other genres - Peter Lee Lawrence learns to be a deadly gunslinger under the tutoring of an elderly Asian man. He's left to die in the desert after being nearly whipped to death for marrying his boss's daughter. It's a dark film too, his wife, thinking he's dead, ends up working as a prostitute. There are also a couple of quasi-horror scenes as well, like when an outlaw gang enters a town populated only by plague victims who drag themselves towards the gang like zombies. The cast is full of genre regulars - Aldo Sambrell, Alberto de Mendoza, Frank Brana, and Lorenzo Robledo among others. Rafael Romero Marchent's direction isn't particularly stylish but gets the job done. I don't mean to oversell this, it's no lost classic but it is a fine mid level entry with plenty of offbeat touches and very entertaining. I'd love to see Arrow do this one up right.
                          That is one PLL spaghetti I have not seen though your write up makes it sound intriguing. I doubt its a likely contender for Arrow so I think the best bet would be to find a bootleg on ebay or something eventually. Or maybe in the meantime a German company will release it on DVD.

Comment

• I like Cut-Throats Nine - just picked up the split disc with Joshua from Code Red. Better than the old Eurovision one I have.
                            What movies on Wild East are actually good (i.e. not generic) spaghetti westerns?

I own:
                            The Brute and the Beast
                            Matalo!
                            If You Meet Sartana, Pray for Your Death
                            And God Said to Cain - split release with some other movie
                            Death Rides a Horse

Used to have Kill and Pray, but I remember not really liking it. I had Day of Anger, sold it for mucho dinero, and then bought the blu ray from Arrow. Are there any other 'essential' movies for spaghetti western fans they've release, or is it mostly just stuff for die-hard completists? Johnny Hamlet / The Wild and the Dirty looks cool - good director, and I'm a sucker for Shakespeare adaptations if they're done right.

Comment

• I would say these releases are worth owning / watching :

FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO / UNHOLY FOUR
                              TEQUILA JOE / A HOLE BETWEEN THE EYES
                              MOMENT TO KILL / FULL HOUSE FOR THE DEVIL
                              ARIZONA COLT DOUBLE
                              A PLACE CALLED GLORY / ROAD TO FORT ALAMO
                              THE CROWS WILL DIG YOUR GRAVE / THE DIRTY FIFTEEN
                              NEST OF VIPERS / TAILS YOU LOSE
                              THE TRAMPLERS
                              COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF / BLOOD AT SUNDOWN
                              THOSE DIRTY DOGS / WANTED

Not all are good films but they at least have something distinguishable about them that make them worth watching.
                              I don't have SAVAGE GRINGO / IN A COLTS SHADOW or GUNFIGHT AT HIGH NOON / HIS NAME WAS KING so can't comment.
                              I would say the release with Johnny Hamlet (THE WILD & THE DIRTY) is worth having though I don't have it myself yet.

Comment

• Companeros is a huge favorite here - fast-paced, great characters, lots of stupid violence, leftist politics. The song gets jammed in my head for days!

Comment

Working...
                                X