The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Region Free gonna put me in the poor house, dammit. Grabbed Day of Anger as well, and figured since I was already paying shipping from the UK, the 25th anniversary of GoodFellas. (I know that's not a spaghetti western) :D
    You should be very happy with DAY OF ANGER, Mark. Outstanding film if you've never seen it and the Arrow BD is a fine presentation with some nice extras and packaged very classy.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I'm looking forward to it, Andrew! I was poking around those .de Koch discs too. Must...restrain.....self.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it, Andrew! I was poking around those .de Koch discs too. Must...restrain.....self.
        Hah, I hear you! you've opened Pandora's box, heh. DAY OF ANGER is among the very best spaghettis Lee Van Cleef did, I'd rate it right up there with DEATH RIDES A HORSE and THE BIG GUNDOWN, just a hair below the Leone films.

Of the Koch films, of the DVDS I personally am very fond of SUGAR COLT (ROCCO DER MANN MIT DEN ZWEI GESICHTERN) and LAST OF THE BADMEN (DIE ZEIT DER GEIER). As far as the two BDs go, NAVAJO JOE is of course Corbucci and while some knock it, I think it's very good although not up to the heights of DJANGO, THE GREAT SILENCE or THE MERCENARY. TEPEPA is one I like somewhat but am not a huge fan of. Some rate it quite highly though.

Comment

• Cover art for the Kino Blu's coming in Oct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11667515_905688866154688_3533706240390667195_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	348543
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Just finished watching Arrows BD of Cemetery without crosses. Complete blind buy for me. Thought it was awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              Just finished watching Arrows BD of Cemetery without crosses. Complete blind buy for me. Thought it was awesome.
              Yes, an amazing film. Hopefully the Arrow release will introduce it to a wider audience (and will prove successful enough for Arrow to encourage them to release more Italian Westerns). I've got the Arrow disc but haven't watched it yet. Looking forward to seeing this one in Italian with English subs just for the sake of comparison.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• I'll definitely get the Arrow BD of Cemetery Without Crosses. I'm blown away by how good their blu of Day of Anger looks.

Comment

I'll definitely get the Arrow BD of Cemetery Without Crosses. I'm blown away by how good their blu of Day of Anger looks.
                  Not seen Arrow's Day of Anger (Yet) although Cemetery without crosses shows some sign of wear and tear. The restoration wasn't taken from the negative, although Arrow specifically make it very clear what materials have been used and how much work was done. Even so, it still looks really good imo.

I'm now getting the spaghetti western bug.

Comment

• I love the tune "The Rope and The Colt" from CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES. I have this Arrow BD on order but I won't be getting rid of my German dvd in its awesome wooden case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                      I love the tune "The Rope and The Colt" from CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES. I have this Arrow BD on order but I won't be getting rid of my German dvd in its awesome wooden case.
                      The German DVD also has that awesome documentary and a few other supplements of worth not on the Arrow disc. But yeah, the Arrow transfer is very good and the movie is awesome.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I got the great big badass bug....I'm now taking advantage of my region free status and carousing for SW blus. Got the mill creek double features, Day of Anger, and Sabata...can anyone recommend some musthaves on blu, even if they're obvious choices?

Comment

I got the great big badass bug....I'm now taking advantage of my region free status and carousing for SW blus. Got the mill creek double features, Day of Anger, and Sabata...can anyone recommend some musthaves on blu, even if they're obvious choices?
                          THE BIG GUNDOWN - Grindhouse BD is sweet as hell, but the Explosive Media BD has the longer cut in English w/subs for the non-dubbed portions (Grindhouse may top it by a hair in picture and definitely in extras). Arrow has REQUIESCANT aka KILL AND PRAY BD coming in the near future, and Koch has THE MERCENARY on BD in the pipes as well. The Explosive BD for DEATH RIDES A HORSE is pretty swell imo.

You can skip the Raro BD of HANGING FOR DJANGO, pretty poor.

Comment

• Thanks, Andrew! Im on the explosive tip for GUNDOWN. What about Prepare a Coffin, Hanging for Django and Bullet for the General? Essential? Edition? Ii kn9w somebody also mentioned Tepe....uh....I dunno.

Comment

Thanks, Andrew! Im on the explosive tip for GUNDOWN. What about Prepare a Coffin, Hanging for Django and Bullet for the General? Essential? Edition? Ii kn9w somebody also mentioned Tepe....uh....I dunno.
                              I stuck with the Arrow DVD for PREPARE A COFFIN (the sneaky late BD release annoyed me). As I said above, skip the hell out of HANGING FOR DJANGO BD, the DVD is actually better, haha. BULLET FOR THE GENERAL from BU is okay by me, and you get a bonus disc with a documentary on Volonte.

TEPEPA and NAVAJO JOE BDs from Koch are fine discs imo.

Comment

• Navajo Joe is coming out from Kino domestically, might be a more affordable route.

Face To Face is coming out from them soon too, and it's awesome.

To fill your Van Cleef fix, they've also got Captain Apache (where Lee sings his own theme song) and Bad Man's River coming too.

All this was mentioned earlier but I know this thread is getting huge so I figured I'd mention it again.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X