No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only release that I'm aware of is the German one from X-Rated DVD. It does have English audio though, at least according to this page.

I think it's out of print.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      There's a German release of A Stranger In Town coming out soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6452[/ATTACH]

From FB:

"A STRANGER IN TOWN. The DVD features the original uncut version, Italian and English sound and nice bonus such as an audio commentary by Tony Anthony and an interview with Lars Bloch. Pre-order now along with our MARIALí‰."

http://alive-ag.de/index.php?page=ar...ikelNr=6414272

Looks like it has English audio.

This is one of my favorite non-Leone Westerns.

I wonder how it will compare to the WildEast DVD?

Comment

• Originally posted by Koukol View Post
        This is one of my favorite non-Leone Westerns.

I wonder how it will compare to the WildEast DVD?
        Wild East didn't release A STRANGER IN TOWN. There was a double feature of it and THE STRANGER RETURNS from Alfa Digital - a bootleg.

Richard, there's also an english language dvd of SCALPS from Suevia Films, I have that one. I don't know how easy it is to find it now. You can see the cover here.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• At the moment I'm working on getting these:

1987 Scalps -- X-rated Kult edition or Spanish edition I haven't decided yet.
          1969 El Puro -- FrancoCleef is sending me his.
          1968 Django Prepare a Coffin -- Arrow edition.
          1968 Death Sentence / Sentenza di morte / Django - Unbarmherzig wie die Sonne -- German edition uncut + English friendly.
          1968 Ace High / Four Gunmen of the Ave Maria -- German edition uncut + English friendly.
          1970 Matalo! -- remake of Kill the Wickeds -- ZDD Media because the Wild East edition is oop.
          1967 Kill the Wickeds -- Wild East double-feature.
          1966 Blood At Sundown / One Thousand Dollars On the Black -- ZDD Media probably.
          1965 Why Go On Killing? -- ZDD Media probably.
          1964 Gunmen of the Rio Grande -- ZDD Media probably.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            Richard, there's also an english language dvd of SCALPS from Suevia Films, I have that one. I don't know how easy it is to find it now. You can see the cover here.
            Yeah, I saw that. Both are out of print and pricey but I'll bite the bullet on one or the other in a day or so.
            Richard--W
            a straight arrow
            Last edited by Richard--W; 05-19-2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Andrew Monroe;61582]Wild East didn't release A STRANGER IN TOWN. There was a double feature of it and THE STRANGER RETURNS from Alfa Digital - a bootleg.

OK...

I wonder how it will compare to the Alfa Digital DVD?

Comment

• I love the title of this film. Il Pistolero dell'Ave Maria. The Gunman of the Ave Maria. According to copyright and intellectual property law, one can't copyright the name of a person, place or thing. Nor can one copyright a title. Of course you can copyright the contents, but not the title. So I'm stealing this one. The title suggests a whole new story to me involving social banditry and cultural conflict in Colonial California when the Catholic missions strung out on the Royal Road all the way down the coastline to Mexico City were losing their foothold to encroaching settlement brought on by the gold rush of '49.

Anyhow, I watched this film on the Wild East DVD for the third time tonight. Love the film, but I don't understand what the title refers to. The wronged son Sebastian looks up at the church as the tolling bells jog his memory. But what does that have to do with the spiritual chant Ave Maria, which is NOT even heard in the film? Do the tolling bells refer to a Catholic ritual that isn't shown? Can a song have a gunfighter to defend it? I don't think so. Or did somebody just like associating gunfighters with the Ave Maria chant like I do? Maybe it's not supposed to make sense? Who can clear this up -- Andrew?

Wild East did some photoshopping to change the title on the foreign poster reproduced on the back cover. Since the title on the original foreign poster matches the onscreen title, why couldn't Wild East just entitle the DVD Il Pistolero dell'Ave Maria or translate The Gunman of the Ave Maria? Who needs The Forgotten Pistolero? Doesn't using the dumber English title just perpetuate the endless confusion over spag titles? Further, why can't Wild East include the native language track -- Spanish or Italian -- as an option with optional English subtitles for its diehard customers? The cost to them would be miniscule if anything. Are they really that lazy.

Richard--W
                a straight arrow
                Last edited by Richard--W; 05-20-2013, 05:03 AM.

Comment

• Good news via the SWDB - Koch has announced the Italowestern Enyzklopí¤die Vol.2! Films are: GOD MADE THEM...I KILL THEM, CALIFORNIA, GOD DOES NOT PAY ON SATURDAY aka KILL THE WICKED, and THOSE DIRTY DOGS. I wish at least one or two of them were films I hadn't seen but it's a very solid group all the same. Info (in German) here.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koukol View Post
                    I wonder how it will compare to the Alfa Digital DVD?
                    Alfa Digital disc looks like this http://www.spaghettiwesterndvds.com/...l-1h11m16s.jpg
                    and I'd expect the German DVD to look at least this good http://www.spaghettiwesterndvds.com/...a-1h08m53s.jpg :up:

Comment

• Thanks Sundance.

Sold!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	BeyondTheLaw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	343090

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Law-Dig...beyond+the+law

A restored, uncut hi-def transfer of BEYOND THE LAW has been released in Germany and Japan but the former is English unfriendly and the latter is long out of print. So is the Wild East DVD which although not the hi-def restoration goes for insane prices. I would ignore this new MOD if it didn't come from TGG direct who have been putting out some nice transfers on blu-ray lately. I wonder what their source is. I don't suppose anyone's seen it.

Comment

• I didn't even know that was out. I have the Wild East disc so I never bothered looking for another one. If this is a superior restoration though, I might be tempted to upgrade. LVC is very good in this one, but that should more or less go without saying.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Well, we have no way of knowing if it's an upgrade until someone posts a review on amazon. The running time indicates a shorter version, but the running times on amazon are frequently wrong.

Ian, didn't Grindhouse Releasing announce the region A release of THE BIG GUNDOWN and THE SWIMMER? What exactly did they say in this announcement, do you know? I thought I read it here, but maybe not.

Comment

• They definitely did, here's the press release.

"Four additional titles will follow in late 2013 and late 2014: Sergio Sollima's THE BIG GUNDOWN, THE SWIMMER, starring Burt Lancaster, Duke Mitchell's GONE WITH THE POPE and S.F. Brownrigg's SCUM OF THE EARTH (a.k.a. POOR WHITE TRASH PART 2). According to Murawski, the company's entire back catalog will also appear in new Blu-ray editions soon thereafter."

So The Big Gundown will likely be out before the end of the year.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                                Andrew, is the Suevia DVD of SCALPS widescreen anamorphic?

EDIT: nevermind, I found the answer and bought the disc.
                                Richard--W
                                a straight arrow
                                Last edited by Richard--W; 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X