The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
    By the way, regarding the aforementioned NO ROOM TO DIE, the very premise of the thing is a factual and historical error. The film begins with Mexicans being smuggled across the border concealed in a wagon, which is then dumped over a cliff with them in it soon as the money is paid. There was no such thing as illegal immigrants on the southwestern border during the 19th century. There were no passports or picture I.D. in those days. The two cultures inter-married and plum forgot about that border stuff. Both sides walked back and forth as freely as they pleased. The border was observed formerly only for economic and governmental purposes that had nothing to do with how the local people were living. So Mexicans didn't need to be smuggled into the USA during the Wild West. They were already here.

From there, the factual errors in NO ROOM TO DIE start multiplying like the andromeda strain. Not that it matters in an entertainment.
    Yes, those Italian Westerns play fast and loose with historical facts: the narratives are more rooted in the realpolitik of Italy in the 1960s and 1970s than the American West setting, although there are certain universal elements which make them enjoyable/understandable/relatable to broader audiences (hence why they're still so enjoyable and interesting today). In this specific case, I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative of NO ROOM TO DIE was shaped more by the issues with the migration between the largely agrarian Southern Italy and the newly-industrialised Northern Italy during the 1960s, rather than any understanding of the relationships between the US and Mexico.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• For those who don't dip their toes into the exploitiation/smut sub forum, Grindhouse Releasing have announced they're bringing The Big Gundown (among other non-SW titles) to Blu-ray.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        For those who don't dip their toes into the exploitiation/smut sub forum, Grindhouse Releasing have announced they're bringing The Big Gundown (among other non-SW titles) to Blu-ray.
        Wonder how many years it'll be before the disc actually is released? No matter, I'm done buying THE BIG GUNDOWN. The Explosive Media blu will do me fine. Interesting news though.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Cover art for the 5/27/13 DVD/Blu-ray release from Arrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BKOKIIfCQAA6d2s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	343053
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Wha?!?! Damn, I am not a fan of delayed blu releases after a dvd has been out for a while.

That cover art on the BD (left) looks like Franco Nero.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              Wha?!?! Damn, I am not a fan of delayed blu releases after a dvd has been out for a while.

That cover art on the BD (left) looks like Franco Nero.
              Totally does, and the art kinda stinks, IMO. Weird to release on BD so close on the heels of the Arrowdrome release, which I actually really dug, due primarily to the Italian audio track.

Comment

• Cover art for those two upcoming Classic Media 4-packs:

Name:	51QYzWp6nWL._SY300_.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	343057

Name:	514cEXi67TL._SY300_.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	343058
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Many helpful reviews there at 10K, Scyther.
                  Thanks, Richard. I still feel like I'm a little "new" here-despite the title of "Senior Member," heh-and thus am only whoring out my writing a bit at a time, but I'm glad you dig it, man! Much appreciated.

Comment

• does anyone know of an English-friendly edition of Edoardo Mulargia'S EL PURO (1969) starring Robert Woods? Anyone seen it?
                    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

does anyone know of an English-friendly edition of Edoardo Mulargia'S EL PURO (1969) starring Robert Woods? Anyone seen it?
                      I don't know of an english friendly release. I have a fan version that's sourced from the French dvd. It's a great, sadly neglected western that's dark and grim as they come. Right up there with CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES in that regard. Along with BLACK JACK, probably Robert Woods' finest work in the genre.

Comment

• Oh, here is an interesting interview with Woods and Marc Fiorini on EL PURO.

Comment

• There's a German release of A Stranger In Town coming out soon.

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	343064

From FB:

"A STRANGER IN TOWN. The DVD features the original uncut version, Italian and English sound and nice bonus such as an audio commentary by Tony Anthony and an interview with Lars Bloch. Pre-order now along with our MARIALí‰."

http://alive-ag.de/index.php?page=ar...ikelNr=6414272

Looks like it has English audio.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                            Oh, here is an interesting interview with Woods and Marc Fiorini on EL PURO.
                            I hope that kissing scene is not important in the film, I really do. I'm on the verge of buying the French DVD but I'm hesitating for some reason.

Here's a review of EL PURO:

http://sonofdjango.blogspot.com/2007/12/el-puro.html

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	mercenary-godsgun.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	343082

I don't know if its been mentioned before, but amazon's MOD of this Jack Palance double-feature

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

offers each film in a widescreen, anamorphic, uncut, English dub on its own disc. The transfers are fine, and obviously licensed from the best, official source; nothing to complain about. Nice color and definition throughout. The films have never looked better in the USA. I find The Mercenary an interesting and worhwhile film but I only gave God's Gun a quick glimpse.
                              Richard--W
                              a straight arrow
                              Last edited by Richard--W; 05-17-2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• I'm hunting for the best edition of Bruno Mattei's SCALPS (1987).

Any suggestions?
                                Richard--W
                                a straight arrow
                                Last edited by Richard--W; 05-19-2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X