No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of the DVDs/BDs in the Western Unchained line from Koch are in uniform cases - the NAVAJO JOE BD is the same as TEPEPA and the dvds. The cases are similar to their earlier "Rainbow" spaghetti western dvd line, except those were in a range of colors. I believe they're called digipacks, similar to the cd cases of the same name.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I recently watched COWARDS DON'T PRAY aka TASTE OF VENGEANCE from the Koch Italowestern Enzyklopadie and it's worth noting that this is the longer version - the old fandub ran 1:39 and this is 1:53:35. It's an above average western I think and well worth seeing. Ivan Rassimov and Gianni Garko star, Rassimov saves Garko after his wife is raped and murdered and he's left for dead. Garko, driven mad by grief, becomes a ruthless killer and he and Rassimov end up on opposite sides of the law. Directed with occasional flair by Mario Siciliano - there's a truly stunning shot near the end where Garko and a woman are running across a huge desolate plain, it starts in tight then pulls out to isolate them in this vaste wasteland...great stuff. The soundtrack is cool too, by Gianni Marchetti, mournful and very memorable. This is one of Garko's better roles, much more nuanced than his similar character in BLOOD AT SUNDOWN where he really just chewed the scenery OTT the entire film.

The extra footage mainly consists of a subplot after Rassimov has been made sheriff and must intervene between two feuding families. It's in Italian with english subtitles - the rest of the film has english audio. It was very interesting to see this but I can understand why it was removed from some prints, it doesn't really add anything and takes away from the focus on the growing conflict between Garko and Rassimov.

Comment

• The soundtrack is mournful, you say? I like mournful scores. Where did you get this DVD, Andrew, I should check it out.
        "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
        - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• It's part of this set, Richard. Unfortunately not available as a single disc so it's quite an investment. The other films are GENTLEMAN KILLER, ...AND FOR A ROOF, A SKY FULL OF STARS, and ROY COLT AND WINCHESTER JACK. The soundtrack for COWARDS was released by GDM several years ago, it's probably not easy to find now.

Comment

• Thanks. Maybe Koch will offer the four titles separately one of these days.

Which precise title was the soundtrack released under, do you recall.

Let us know what you think of the other titles in the box -- not so much Roy Colt which we already know about.

Comment

• The soundtrack was released under the Italian title - I VIGLIACCHI NON PREGANO.

I've seen the others before - GENTLEMAN KILLER (released years ago by Wild East with an aspect ratio goof) is a good Anthony Steffen picture with a rousing title theme. ...AND FOR A ROOF, A SKY FULL OF STARS starts out with a terrific, moving scene scored with a beautiful Morricone tune then abruptly becomes an average semi-comedy buddy film. I'm not a big fan of any of Bava's westerns though I do like Umiliani's score for ROY COLT.
              Andrew Monroe
              Pallid Hands
              Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 04-20-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• By the way, Koch's TEPEPA (1969) is a reference-quality blu-ray. Perfect film-like picture. Clear, sharp as a razor, and I love the color. Exquisite color. At 2 hours 11 minutes and 24 seconds it's the longest version I've seen, and what a pleasure to finally see it without the 4% PAL speed-up turning even the leisurely moments into a rush and voices and the Morricone score into a high-pitched whine. The blu-ray restores the natural timing and pacing of the film for us region A / NTSC viewers. The English language track sounds foggy, but it's always understandable. Subtitles kick in automatically whenever there's no English dub. The default language is German. TEPEPA is a really fine film. I recommend the Koch blu-ray.

Comment

• Are the Sartana spags comedies? with gadgets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    Are the Sartana spags comedies? with gadgets?
                    No, not comedies. They're not dark pictures by any stretch though. I think it's fair to say they're secret agent westerns, and yes, they do have gadgets. They're mostly great fun even if I wouldn't call any of them classics. Bruno Nicolai did the scores for some, and they're terrific.

Saw over at the SWDB forum that Eric from Wild East announced they'll follow up the Sartana set with a Kinski double feature of AND GOD SAID TO CAIN/TWICE A JUDAS.

Comment

• Sort of like The Wild Wild West then, only spaghetti western style.

I just bought expensive imports of the two Kinski films. Sheesh.

Comment

• That Westerns Unchained budget blu has a very nice looking print of TWICE A JUDAS. I'm more interested in AND GOD SAID TO CAIN as I only have the Franco Cleef disc.

Comment

• Shout Factory - Timeless Media have two spaghetti western sets available for pre-order on amazon. No cover art yet. Release date July 9.
                          MOVIES 4 YOUR: SPAGHETTI WESTERNS contains:

A Pistol For Ringo
                          Return of Ringo
                          Ringo Face of Revenge
                          Shoot Gringo Shoot

MOVIES 4 YOU: MORE SPAGHETTI WESTERNS contains:

Blood For a Silver Dollar
                          10,000 Dollars For a Massacre
                          7 Dollars On Red
                          A Bullet For a Stranger

Timeless Media released these titles last year in its huge BEST OF THE SPAGHETTI WESTERNS box. The transfers were analog quality at best, and that's being nice. What do they need Shout Factory for to release them again? Might this association indicate an upgrade?

Comment

Timeless Media released these titles last year in its huge BEST OF THE SPAGHETTI WESTERNS box. The transfers were analog quality at best, and that's being nice. What do they need Shout Factory for to release them again? Might this association indicate an upgrade?
                            Shout Factory bought Timeless Media last summer. So I doubt the inclusion of the Shout Factory name now means anything -- probably just a repackaging, unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                              That Westerns Unchained budget blu has a very nice looking print of TWICE A JUDAS. I'm more interested in AND GOD SAID TO CAIN as I only have the Franco Cleef disc.
                              Are you sure it was Koch's Westerns Unchained? The German and Italian Medusa editions of TWICE A JUDAS are a whirred-up region 2 DVD. So I guess I'll be buying it again July 16 when Wild East releases it.

With regard to Wild East, it's time they put DVD's behind them and started releasing blu-rays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kinski.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	343024
                              Richard--W
                              a straight arrow
                              Last edited by Richard--W; 05-07-2013, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Are you sure it was Koch's Westerns Unchained? The German and Italian Medusa editions of TWICE A JUDAS are a whirred-up region 2 DVD. So I guess I'll be buying it again July 16 when Wild East releases it.
                                Nope, it was this budget blu released here in the states (25 films on one disc).

Regarding Wild East and blu rays, I can't see it happening. I don't think their sales justify the expense.

Comment

Working...
                                X